The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Occam Enoch passaround

Wednesday January 15, 2020
2020 Shave # 16 ( 436 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Occam O.R.E.N.
Blade: Schick Proline (2)
Brush: Stirling Badger Fan
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (16)
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash
Fragrance: CK Euphoria Amber Gold

Had a nice shave with the Occam O.R.E.N. razor with 2 (medium) plate. from John this morning. No issues and my typical smooth shave although I had to work for it. I enjoyed getting to try this razor but it's not for me as it's odd handle isn't always comfortable to hold especially on my side to side passes. They have a dizzying array of versions of it too which would make it hard to know what you wanted. Thanks again John and I will get this posted today and send tracking to you and the next recipient @Spider .

The 3017 is progressing with enjoyable shaves. YES, I miss variety but am enjoying the idea of finishing a tub of soap and still have changes in aftershaves, razors and brushes etc.. Tub weighs in at 88 grams and while there is no donut hole, I can see light shining thru where the donut hole is forming. Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200115_063532051.jpg

If you are interested sign up below

1. Dave in KY (Completed)
2. Spider - Should have Friday
3. Nurse Dave - On Deck
4. dkeester
5. dangerousdon
6. Majorrich
7. Uacowboy

@Spider the general, I bought just the head without the handle so I just threw it on the handle I had.
This is the second time I've critiqued a razor from you about the handle being weird, only to find out it's not the original handle, LOL.

I switched the handleout for my Aluminum handle for yesterday's shave and it was a little better. Definitely a better fit for the razor. I really do like it a lot better than the SS or Brass General. But probably about on par with my aluminum RR Hawk. So I would probably buy one if found cheap, but really no need since the hawk is about the same shave. (like me getting rid of the SS General because it was so similar to the Mongoose). Funny now that I think about it, because the geometry of the Mongoose and the Hawk are about the same. But regardless of geometry, i found the shaves to be very similar.

----------------------BREAK------------------------------

Now onto my first shave with the Enoch.... this razor can be summed up with one sentiment:

I will say this. I enjoyed the feel of the shave far better than I expected. I expected it to be similar in feel to the Cobra Classic. Despite having a lot of blade feel, it was smoother feeling, much less aggressive, and provided a more enjoyable shave than the Cobra Classic. And Despite all of that I really despized this razor.

I hate the way it goes together. Sure I can appreciate the engineering of it, and the very tight tolerances, and the way the pieces glide together...... but trying to line those pieces up while getting the blade to balance on the base plate is a nightmare. For as nice as the razor looks, it feels very clunky in your hands..... and OMG does it feel heavy! The balance is way off on this razor. The head is way heavier than it should be, and the handle is heavy to compensate, but it's still super head heavy, which makes it feel heavier than it is during the shave. It actually made my hand hurt while doing XTG strokes.

This shave was a one and done for me. No need to relive that experience.

Tried the OREN today. Very very similar to my HIRAM razor. It's pretty much the same system, but I think the Hiram is slightly refined. Could be my knowledge of that that led me to believe the OREN was slightly worse in shave as I was going, but ultimately gave me an on par shave experience. The big downer with the OREN is the handle. It's failry uncomfortable to hold onto. If anyone has tried the OREN and doesn't like the handle, but loves the shave, then you must get a Hiram! It really fixes everything that's wrong with the OREN.

The only thing left for me to try, is Plate #3 of the OREN, but placed on my HIRAM, just to see if it's an additional plate I'd like to purchase to add to my HIRAM experience.

@NurseDave you're next.... I'll likely get this shipped out to you on Monday.

As a reminder..... @dkeester @dangerousdon @Majorrich @uacowboy are up after Dave, and everyone except Don is signed up for the One Blade February Challenge........ so possibly this list will need to be reordered to accommodate........

1. Dave in KY - Complete
2. Spider - In Possession
3. Nurse Dave - On Deck
4. dkeester
5. dangerousdon
6. Majorrich
7. Uacowboy

Tried the OREN today. Very very similar to my HIRAM razor. It's pretty much the same system, but I think the Hiram is slightly refined. Could be my knowledge of that that led me to believe the OREN was slightly worse in shave as I was going, but ultimately gave me an on par shave experience. The big downer with the OREN is the handle. It's failry uncomfortable to hold onto. If anyone has tried the OREN and doesn't like the handle, but loves the shave, then you must get a Hiram! It really fixes everything that's wrong with the OREN.

The only thing left for me to try, is Plate #3 of the OREN, but placed on my HIRAM, just to see if it's an additional plate I'd like to purchase to add to my HIRAM experience.

As a reminder..... @dkeester @dangerousdon @Majorrich @uacowboy are up after Dave, and everyone except Don is signed up for the One Blade February Challenge........ so possibly this list will need to be reordered to accommodate........

1. Dave in KY - Complete
3. Nurse Dave - On Deck
4. dkeester
5. dangerousdon
6. Majorrich
7. Uacowboy
Hey...stick me where ever you need to. I am very pliable!

1. Dave in KY - Complete
3. Nurse Dave - On Deck
4. dkeester
5. dangerousdon
6. Majorrich
7. Uacowboy
unless a lot changes i won't be seeing these for a couple months so i should be good to go for Feb!

1. Dave in KY - Complete
3. Nurse Dave - On Deck
4. dkeester
5. dangerousdon
6. Majorrich
7. Uacowboy
Don do you want to be moved up after Dave?

Back