The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Shaving World

LOL thanks guys. It is a good story to tell after the wounds heal.

Of note, error in the video. The Paladin is 28mm and the SV is 26mm.

Oooooo I feel your pain and can totally relate. At least to the being busted treating yourself. How do you like the 30mm? I saw an M&F on another site and was considering it. But was thinking of getting my second Paladin as well.

Thoughts?

Brother Dave, I saw the video when I got up, paused it and went for a cup of Joe and "The LAST Muffin" to enjoy while watching. Kept getting chuckled thru the WHOLE video. You Sir are a masterful story teller although you never stated whether you now have 2 Paladins or that you at least were able to avert that. Guess your wife will remember my name now............???

OH WOW! That is hilarious. So where's the other brush? I am assuming under the tree?

So what you are saying is you have another Paladin that will soon be joining your collection!

I will say this. Normally, I think your lather looks thin, as in I can see the color of your skin showing through it. Today, it looked nice an thick. The Paladin is working well for you!

Brother Dave, I saw the video when I got up, paused it and went for a cup of Joe and "The LAST Muffin" to enjoy while watching. Kept getting chuckled thru the WHOLE video. You Sir are a masterful story teller although you never stated whether you now have 2 Paladins or that you at least were able to avert that. Guess your wife will remember my name now............
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
OH WOW! That is hilarious. So where's the other brush? I am assuming under the tree?
So what you are saying is you have another Paladin that will soon be joining your collection!

I will say this. Normally, I think your lather looks thin, as in I can see the color of your skin showing through it. Today, it looked nice an thick. The Paladin is working well for you!
No, no two Paladins. The other should be at my wife's work now and getting sent back to be able to be sold again before the holidays. The fine folks at Paladin did suggest to her that I may like two of them. ? If it were a different colour I might have tried to talk her into it.

Oooooo I feel your pain and can totally relate. At least to the being busted treating yourself. How do you like the 30mm? I saw an M&F on another site and was considering it. But was thinking of getting my second Paladin as well. \n\nThoughts?
\nSorry, corrected it in the video description, it\'s a 28mm. I don\'t own a M&F either, but I do like the style of them for sure. At the moment I\'m really liking this knot, but on KJ\'s head shave video you can see the splay it give. So I might feel it\'s a bit too large after it loosens up a bit.

I do notice from videos that a lot of you guys end up with a thicker lather, but mine's been working well for the most part so I just stick with what I know. I think it might be a product issue. When I started, I kept reading about people using an almond size scoop of soap for lathering, so that's what I did. I have a feeling that for scoopable soaps loaded from the tubs, more than that amount is ending up on the brushes after loading. And when you load from the tub, you're thinking in terms of load time and brush content, not how much soap is gone. Where as I predetermine how much soap will be used and have this history with it telling me I shouldn't need more than that amount. I may just need to get past this almond size and use more.

At the moment I'm really liking this knot, but on KJ's head shave video you can see the splay it give. So I might feel it's a bit too large after it loosens up a bit.
The cool thing though, is that you control how much it splays by how much pressure you apply. I pressed harder to get it to splay on my head, but it doesn't splay as much on my face. That knot on my brush is a 28mm...... but I also have a 30mm Paladin and I was expecting it to feel way too big, but it doesn't. It just feels great!

I may just need to get past this almond size and use more.
I gave up the notion of an almond sized amount long ago, and never looked back. I have so much soap, there's no sense in limiting my product and not get the best lather possible. I always overload. I can get a serviceable shave from a 5 second load of CBL soap..... a 10 second load and it's just about perfect...... but why stop there? I usually load CBL for about 15-20 seconds. Overkill? Absolutely, but man, what a lather!

I gave up the notion of an almond sized amount long ago, and never looked back. I have so much soap, there's no sense in limiting my product and not get the best lather possible. I always overload. I can get a serviceable shave from a 5 second load of CBL soap..... a 10 second load and it's just about perfect...... but why stop there? I usually load CBL for about 15-20 seconds. Overkill? Absolutely, but man, what a lather!
+1

By using more, even though it is wasteful, I can more easily ensure a great lather and a great shave. So, like KJ, I load it hard and make more lather than I can use in a single shave. If the shave is really good, then the wasted soap is worth it. Consider it a sacrifice to the shave gods, or something like that.

Advent calendars are fun! Most of the time as a kid, we’d get the ones with little chocolates. For a while we did one that was like a dispenser with cardboard boxes that would slide out - my parents would usually put in candies, hot wheels or matchbox cars, etc.

Good shave Dave. About your lather, it looked “normal” for you, it was still a bit see through.

Nice video Dave. We do the advent calendars. We have about 4 of them. And also to the chocolate ones from the store.

Nice video Dave. We do the advent calendars. We have about 4 of them. And also to the chocolate ones from the store.
Very cool Chad. Will be even cooler when you're sending them to them in college ?

Back