The Shaving Cadre

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nurse Dave's Journal

Sunday:

1648 days of consecutive shaving - 684 open-blade shaves
Rockwell 6S w/ Israeli Personna (1)
Strike Gold Shave Fireside Chat
Paladin Honey Oscar Noir
Quinn Pink Grapefruit and Orange Rind
Nivea 2:1

1649 days of consecutive shaving - 684 open-blade shaves
Rockwell 6S w/ Israeli Personna (2)
Southern Witchcrafts Cedar
Muhle Rocca
Alexandria Sweet Smoke

Pretty good weekend overall. I got myself a black suit. My wife has always said that's one thing every man should have and I haven't owned one for probably 20 years. In all honesty, we have some family members that are getting up in age and have me thinking about mortality, which lead to thinking if I need a black suit on short notice I'm in trouble. So there we go. But we also have a wedding in Oct I can use it for. It did take me down a bit of a rabbit hole thinking I might be heading back to shirt and tie for work in the near future. That used to be my standard, partly because at my level it was unspoken to be appropriate and partly because we used to have a VP that actually spoke he expected senior leaders to be in a site. Well, COVID hit, we started working crazy hours, my boss started wearing scrubs and that was the end of my tie. Since then our meetings have been all online and hardly anyone turns a camera on, so what's the point? We now have one of our big hospital surveys coming in the next 2-6 weeks and I wear a tie when those guys are around, so that might start the routine again. Aaaaaaanyway, to add that Nurse Dave extra pizzaz, I'm going to be wearing shirts with French cuffs on a regular basis. Guess what, most stores don't carry those. What's up with that? I finally found one place online with a good selection I'll use, but are these totally out of style other than with tuxedos? Given @Scuttlesoap's profile pic, I assume he's a man of class that would wear them. Heck, I just get the sleeves on my cashmere overcoat finally tailored so I can wear it and I might finally be able to pull off a walking stick!

Your wife is correct - black suit should be in your repertoire! And goes with any situation….for instance…your VP realizes that you’re a snazzy dresser and a darn good healer on top of that - you get promoted and eventually take over a multi-billion dollar aspirin conglomeration…..

Caption: Nurse Dave shaves his goatee, dons an Irish Whiskey Sour, rubs elbows with high society, buys out the TSC, and coverts the entire world to wet shaving….his YouTube channel ranks #1 across both personal care and fashion categories.

or conversely, there is a societal collapse - the hospital goes under due to a shortage of 12 gauge syringes and IVs with D5W (thank you Emergency 51 for the education) , bandaids are traded on the black market, and your only choice is to work as an enforcer to make people pay their outrageous insurance premiums….well, a black suit works there as well…

Caption: Nurse Dave (on right, desperately tries to bring back the 70s sideburns and pseudo goatee) with fellow nurse collecting for Blue Cross Blue Bandaids. Suits by Savile Row’s Kent & Haste - because even hitmen have a dress code.

Last edited:
12 gauge needles are HUGE! We never routinely used them in any ICU in which I worked. Their only use is to very rapidly fluid resuscitate someone who is bleeding out. They may be used more frequently in the ER and OR, I'm unsure.

I just remember those were the size in our combat lifesaver bags in the Army. Of course - we used them as hang-over prevention after a long night of drinking - put the fluids back into your body really quickly - no headaches! Tax payer dollars well spent.

Last edited:
Makes sense for rapid fluid resuscitation. I think that 12 ga may be the size used for blood donation. It takes a skilled hand to insert an IV that size and not hurt the patient - gotta hit the vein but not push through it, which is tricky because you need to push harder with a needle that size. The largest IV I remember in the ICU is 14 ga, which is the next size down.

1650 days of consecutive shaving - 685 open-blade shaves
Tedalus Essence w/ Feather Proguard (6)
Old Cahaba Shave Club Brocha
Maggard synth
Penhaligon's Endymion EdP

Well, I'm just basically sitting here waiting to win bingo.

Wednesday:

1651 days of consecutive shaving - 685 open-blade shaves
Gillette Techmatic / razor section #7 (1)
The Shaving Soap Hedonisme
Big Green
Creed Viking

1652 days of consecutive shaving - 686 open-blade shaves
Kamisori w/ Feather Proguard (1)
Southern Witchcrafts Fougere Nemeta
AP flat top
Atelier Cologne Vetiver Fatal

While the feel of holding this thing isn't my favorite experience-wise, it gives a heck of a close shave. Dolphins are screaming fo' so' as they say. Or at least Rich does I think, he's a bit of a baller. I dunno about all these people that KJ talked into using the same blade and some basic white girl soap for an extended period of time. This is not the reality I'm used to.

I was going to hold off on getting my daughter a drum set until she proved she would keep up with practicing for several months. She's been using a single practice drum pad as well as the drum set from Rock Band just to get down patterns. Now she's on to needing to practice moving both feet and the Rock Band thing only has one pedal. We could just throw something on the floor for her to pretend with, but I figured I want to encourage her to stay with this. So, electric drum set was ordered today and will be here tomorrow. She should be thrilled.

Back