The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

That's a well formulated travel kit Dave! I do something similar when I travel back home on leave. Again, safe travels and good shaves!!

Catching up again Dave!

Great reads and shaves! The picture of the TSC Brush was great!

Hope you have a fun and safe trip!

NurseDave said:
...it was nice to finish a project without a big delay for issues leading to trips to the home store.

Okay I'm impressed, what chat / ritual did you perform before hand to achieve this?
1f601.png

2018 shave #169 (DE:40 SE:59 Str:68 Cart:2)

Merkur 38c w/ Wilkinson Sword (1)
K Shave Worx Beachwood Forest
RazoRock synth brush
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Calvin Klein Euphoria

Hotel shave this morning and it went ok. He blade itself felt a little rough though it was new. I’ll have a low threshold for replacing it tomorrow if it’s not mellowed out. I really like the scent of this soap. I think it’ll be on my short list for purchasing.

Last night the wife and I went out for dinner and then strolled down to the Washington Monument, WWII Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial and finally the Lincoln Memorial. Wish I had my tipod because it was truely beautiful at nigh
t with the reflecting pool. I did the best I could to capture some images, but not nearly what I with I could do. And we saw some lightening bugs. Which was cool because I haven’t seen them since my family moved from Pennsylvania when I was 9.

Today was a quick hour in the Natural History Museum, then our scheduled time at the Holocaust Museum. Then lunch from a food truck and resting our feet on the lawn of the Washington Monument. By this time is was pretty freaking warm with some humidity. Sweat dripping down your back when your just standing there weather. Then we hiked back up to the Art Museum for a quick tour then caught a ride back to the hotel. Man, my feet are feeling it.

We’re meeting some of her cousins for dinner tonight. Then I’m on my own the next couple of days while she works. Hope everyone had an enjoyable Father’s Day.

The monuments at night are absolutely beautiful. But only an hour in the Natural History museum? Do yourself a favor and go back! American History museum is also worth a tour!

I totally forgot you were off in DC! East coast humidity is killer...nothing like being bathed in sweat just from walking outside.

Glad you’re hitting up the go-to places. So many great historical things to do!

East coast humidity is killer...nothing like being bathed in sweat just from walking outside.

Come to Louisiana then...walk outside and feel like you are drowning!

Great stuff Dave! D.C. and the monuments are good stuff for sure, especially at night when they're all lit up.

Come to Louisiana then...walk outside and feel like you are drowning!

Been around both and 90-100% humidity is 90-100% humidity regardless of where you are. LOL...though Louisiana doesn't have the cooling off at night that the east coast/New England has during the summer months.

Great stuff Dave. Sounds like a very fun eventful day!

Breaking news straight from the Air & Space Museum. The US gets to the moon with injector razors.

Not to be pedantic or anything...

But that is a Gillette Techmatic razor. It uses a cartridge that has a ribbon blade in it. The lever on top of the head is used to advance the ribbon and expose a sharp section of the blade. It was an interesting innovation, but not very practical in the long run due to problems with the unused sections of ribbon rusting before getting used.

Gosh, maybe I should donate my toothbrush to a museum so my name can forever be cited for millions to see! ?

Fun stuff.

Thanks for the info Doug. I’d heard of the Techmatic but not known what it actually did!

I haven't tried Grooming Dept either. Sounds like I should probably hold off for now.

Getting caught up Dave, sounds like a tremendous couple of weeks, and I MUST HAVE THAT BRUSH, un real lit reminds me of an work of art from HR Geiger. Please PM me the maker

Not to be pedantic or anything...

But that is a Gillette Techmatic razor. It uses a cartridge that has a ribbon blade in it. The lever on top of the head is used to advance the ribbon and expose a sharp section of the blade. It was an interesting innovation, but not very practical in the long run due to problems with the unused sections of ribbon rusting before getting used.

Actually pretty interesting. I think they should enclude that in the description! I would think having a blade that’s movable like that also would mean the blade isn’t very rigid.

2018 shave #170 (DE:41 SE:59 Str:68 Cart:2)

Merkur 38c w/ Wilkinson Sword (2)
Chisled Face Sherlock
RazoRock synth brush
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm

Decent shave this morning. The blade seemed to have mellowed out a bit. I brought this soap sample just to use it up, but I liked it more than I remembered. Maybe I was just in the mood for a clean scent today, but it was nice regardless of why.

Long story short for the day, it was long with tons of walking and heat and sweat. Big chunk of the day as at the Air & Space, with moments at the Capital and Natural History again. Think I didn’t think things thr
ough and get a touch of sunburn as well. Tomorrow morning I’m headed to the National Cemetery for a few hours and then American History.

Long story short for the day, it was long with tons of walking and heat and sweat. Big chunk of the day as at the Air & Space, with moments at the Capital and Natural History again. Think I didn’t think things through and get a touch of sunburn as well. Tomorrow morning I’m headed to the National Cemetery for a few hours and then American History.

Sorry about the sunburn, but it's a small price to pay for seeing history! Did you get to tour the Capitol? That is the single most impressive piece of Architecture I have ever seen! Last time I was in DC I was supposed to have a tour of the Capital Building along with both the Senate and House of Representatives by my Congressman (My wife used to work with him and he was going to give us a personal tour). But there was the whole government shutdown thing and he was busy doing actual work.

Glad you got to get back to the Natural History Museum. That place is absolutely magical!

Arlington...now that is where it is at! You must see the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It's a religious experience. Arlington is so beautiful and solemn.

The American History Museum is pretty awesome too. All the exhibits on the wars are amazing. I think there is a small display on Gillette razors. I actually found the dinner ware of each Presidential Administration pretty interesting also!

What monuments did you see? Probably the most underrated is the FDR monument. It is very unique and just amazing. The MLK monument is amazing as well!

But I blab on...I hope you have fun!

DC is only like 4.5 hours from me and I won’t even get to see you my friend! Glad vacay is going well and definitely some sites to see there. Also the newly opened Museum of the Bible is there if you’re interested.

Back