The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

2021 shave #181 (DE:74 SE:51 Str:55 Cart:0) - 1072 days of consecutive shaving
Occam OREN w/ Feather Proguard (4)
Tallow + Steel Coffee in the Canadian Wilderness
Muhle Rocca
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nivea 2:1
Tallow + Steel Coffee in the Canadian Wilderness AS

The best part about being in school is I get a short workday every week!
57B774AF-5D8A-4FC2-8F56-D6ECB779457D.jpeg

Update to this:
What earbuds did you get?

Well..... I was just looking, and have been reading about these for months..... And I wanted the Bowers & Wilkins PI7, but thought the PI5 more realistic. In reading reviews I got sidetracked to looking into the Sennheiser’s Momentum True Wireless 2. Ended up seeing they were on sale and could be here later today for use on the plane tomorrow. So I accidentally order those. 😇
I used the Sennheisers on the plane. They sounded great and had good noise canceling from what I could tell as it was my first experience with that. One interesting feature was the ability to "pass-through" sound. I think because they are good at passively isolating external sounds, you can tap and the speakers will basically replay the external sounds so you can hear people talk or whatever without taking them out.

BUT, yesterday I learned you can't use just the left earbud. You can use just the right, but it transmits the sound to the left one. Not a huge deal if you're using both of them to listen to good quality music all the time. But just for a book or podcast I'll often just use one earbud to save battery or equal out the use of them. So I figured what the heck and just ordered the Pi5s. Should be here tomorrow to compare and return the loser.

2021 shave #182 (DE:74 SE:52 Str:55 Cart:0) - 1073 days of consecutive shaving
Occam OREN w/ Feather Proguard (5)
PannaCrema Nuavia Rossa
Sorrentino Blonde Vixen
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nivea Deep
Creed Viking

Oh baby! I forgot how good this soap smells! Took the top off and BAM! Lots of loveliness after all these years. Everyone really should try this at least once.

Update to this:

I used the Sennheisers on the plane. They sounded great and had good noise canceling from what I could tell as it was my first experience with that. One interesting feature was the ability to "pass-through" sound. I think because they are good at passively isolating external sounds, you can tap and the speakers will basically replay the external sounds so you can hear people talk or whatever without taking them out.

BUT, yesterday I learned you can't use just the left earbud. You can use just the right, but it transmits the sound to the left one. Not a huge deal if you're using both of them to listen to good quality music all the time. But just for a book or podcast I'll often just use one earbud to save battery or equal out the use of them. So I figured what the heck and just ordered the Pi5s. Should be here tomorrow to compare and return the loser.
Pass-through is an excellent feature! The AirPod Pros have it too. Very nice for driving or walking around and still being able to interact with people without fumbling to turn your music off.

Very surprised at the inability to use the left pod alone though! I’d figure anything Apple does as far as features would be pretty much standard by now. I started doing the one-pod-at-a-time thing at work to make the most of my day listening time, it was nice. Do the Sennheisers predate the AirPod Pros?

Do the Sennheisers predate the AirPod Pros?
I don't really know. But in doing further reading, it seems as though only being able to use one of the two earpods individually is fairly common in non-Apple pods. I do recall getting the sound to sync in both at the same time if they aren't linked was one of the technical hurdles early on.

2021 shave #183 (DE:74 SE:53 Str:55 Cart:0) - 1074 days of consecutive shaving
Occam OREN w/ Feather Proguard (6)
Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
Saponificio Varesino 2.0 two-band 26mm Manchurian High Mountain White Badger in Ziricote handle
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Penhaligon's English Fern talc
Penhaligon's English Fern EdT

I smell pretty. Oh so pretty! I saw baba Dave use the fern talc and decided I'd go for the full monte shave. (as close as I can get without the Penhaligon's fern soap)
553D8B7E-1840-4BC0-B287-0D2CB263F3A9.jpeg

If you look in the reflection of the bottle reaaaaaly close...
giphy.gif

2021 shave #184 (DE:74 SE:53 Str:56 Cart:0) - 1075 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (1)
Zingari Man The Soloist
Oz Purple
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Maison Margiela Jazz Club

Saved you scaredy cats a picture today.

Few updates. My B&W ear pods came in yesterday. I sat outside with a cigar doing A/B comparisons with the Sennheisers. Long story short, the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 were better in almost every way, but I'm keeping the Bowers & Wilkins PI5s. Sennheiser has a better case, more tap controls, and app adjustments. But the B&Ws sound better. So there it is. I have Apple AirPods to use throughout the day for books and podcasts, and the new ones are simply for a quality listening experience.

So plans with the kids changed a bit yesterday that allows us to get outta dodge without them this weekend. While we were deciding if we wanted to quickly plan an overnight in Napa, Mr @Somnos posted a winery that seemed imperative I try. Done deal. We're going into the city tomorrow for dinner and this interactive art show thing tomorrow night. Then up and at 'em Sunday morning to head off to the greatest wine-producing area in the world!

Back