The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Good luck with the inspectors. Gotta love it when they give you a pop quiz.

Good stuff Dave. Nice fly by and good luck on the survey.

2018 shave #152 (DE:32 SE:50 Str:68 Cart:2)

Asylum "The Doctor" RX w/ Feather Proguard (7)
Strop Shoppe Black Tie
Plisson synthetic in Shave Revolution handle
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Missoni

The dolphins were singing this morning. Watching some of the cadre's videos, I realized I have my post-shave routine dialed in, but have n
o pre-shave game. When I was cart shaving, I knew if I didn't get some soap on my face within a minute or two of getting out of the shower, my whiskers would be hard enough again that the shave would hurt too much and I'd skip it. Well now, I'm creating lather, getting a blade in my razor and just taking a lot of time before any lather hits my face. So all the beard softening that happens in the shower is for sure gone. So today I prepped my lather first, and as soon as I got to my sink the first pass lather was applied. This certainly made enough difference to let me know I need to be doing something for pre-shave. I usually replace a SE blade after 6 shaves, but I didn't know how many I had on this one. So I'm working with a blade that's ready to be binned and the dolphins were singing. I did pursue that wet face, search and destroy BBS and I got it. And to top it off, no alum sting. So I'd say I hit a grail shave today.

Thanks for all the well wished brothers. The stroke survey turned out as well as they can go. The surveyor is taking some of our practices to share with other hospitals as best practices and was gushing over how quickly we treat new strokes. Though, I was a bit embarrassed at how unprepared that department was for the nuts and bolts of the survey. Topics for future meetings. State is here for two more days and I need to cover for my director for part of the day with one of they surveyors. These days are mentally draining as it's pretty much the Super Bowl for my department. I get to sneak in some forum reading, but not a lot of time for responding.

Good stuff Dave. And some form of preshave is definitely important. You just have to figure out what is right nor you.

And those SE feather blades can go to at least 14 shaves in my experience.

Glad it went so well for you. Nice shave today. One thing I have done in the past is as soon as I get out of the shower, make my lather and apply it. Then step my razor and get out the post shave supplies. By then, just reapply the first coat and shave. That tends to soften them up nicely.

Awesome shave today...grail even! Beard prep is one of the things I preach to people I get into this...IMO it contributes to literally 50% of the shave result. Glad to see it worked out well for you!!!

The survey sounds like it went well, though very much an emotional roller coaster.

Awesome shave today. A good pre-shave routine is probably more important than a good post-shave routine.

Great shave Dave!

Pretty cool that you’re the go-to guy when the director is out. That says a lot about your professionalism and knowledge!

Good stuff Dave. And some form of preshave is definitely important. You just have to figure out what is right nor you.

And those SE feather blades can go to at least 14 shaves in my experience.
Glad it went so well for you. Nice shave today. One thing I have done in the past is as soon as I get out of the shower, make my lather and apply it. Then step my razor and get out the post shave supplies. By then, just reapply the first coat and shave. That tends to soften them up nicely.
Awesome shave today. A good pre-shave routine is probably more important than a good post-shave routine.
Awesome shave today...grail even! Beard prep is one of the things I preach to people I get into this...IMO it contributes to literally 50% of the shave result. Glad to see it worked out well for you!!!

The survey sounds like it went well, though very much an emotional roller coaster.

Oh man! I've been doing it all wrong. Funny all the little details that I worry about and didn't even realize I'm probably missing something big. Watch out now!

2018 shave #151 (DE:32 SE:49 Str:68 Cart:2)

Parker 76R w/ Israeli Personna (3)
Strop Shoppe Via dell'Ambra
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Nameless by Mark Buxton

Fly-by post. As I was entering yesterday's journal entry we found out the state showed up for our unannounced survey. They will be here all week and we also have a survey of our stroke program today. Busy week at work.

A lot of Strop Shoppe coming out of the wood work in the Cadre lately! An the Via dell'Ambra is a new one to me! Let us know what smells like!

Good luck with the surveys! you do important work.

Terrific shave, Dave! I don't experiece a lot of drying whenever I am shaving after a shower, but when I shave at night I definitely need to focus on my pre-shave. Lather plus a hot towel usually does the trick.

A lot of Strop Shoppe coming out of the wood work in the Cadre lately! An the Via dell'Ambra is a new one to me! Let us know what smells like!

Good luck with the surveys! you do important work.
I'll have to use it again and let you know. I'm up earlier this week and know I liked it, but couldn't tell you what it smelled like.

Terrific shave, Dave! I don't experiece a lot of drying whenever I am shaving after a shower, but when I shave at night I definitely need to focus on my pre-shave. Lather plus a hot towel usually does the trick.
That looks like the gold standard, but I know I won't be doing a hot towel except maybe on a late day weekend shave. Prepping my lather before the shower seem like it will be the trick except when I'm using hard soaps I need to bloom. Might need a small bar of soap to use for those days.

2018 shave #153 (DE:32 SE:51 Str:68 Cart:2)

Asylum "The Doctor" RX w/ Feather Proguard (8)
Sapone di Paolo Terroso
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Bleu de Chanel

Another early morning shave. Getting the lather ready before the shower seems to be doing the trick. No alum burn and super nice
BBS. Though I think this blade might be turning and ready for the bin.

Back