The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

2020 shave #197 (DE:70 SE:49 Str:76 Cart:0) - 705 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Kai Pink (2)
Stirling synth
LNHC Doc Holiday
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nivea 2:1
Yardley Equity talc
Missoni

WMRK is going a little funky worldly this morning. That's ok, I can roll with that. Came into wearing my new cloth masks with "This too shall pass" embroidered on it in Farsi this morning.

Shave was "ok". One of those mornings where I just wasn't thinking or in the grove. Had enough stutter on the first pass to get me to pay attention to get a decent shave without injury, but my dolphin WHO IS FINE BY THE WAY didn't come out to play.

Scotch - I was able to go a day without buying any! I have a few nice variety sets of 100ml bottles and 2 full size bottles. My plan, as of now, is to not buy any more until at least those full size bottles are at least half empty. I am of course learning the taste and notes you get are different when you're actually having a glass vs just a few sips to taste. Which of course makes it tough to quickly gain experience. I guess I'll need to show the patience and maturity I should have. @Dave in KY have you ever stopped to think about everything that could have happened while the peat was forming to be using the glass of scotch you're drinking??? " An equation for peat might be written as flora plus death and water, minus oxygen, multiplied by pressure and time. In other words, peat is the decomposed remains of grasses, moss, sedges, and reeds that have been compressed over centuries in the oxygen-starved, waterlogged conditions of bogs in the colder climates of countries at higher latitudes. We’re used to waiting for whisky to mature, but one foot of peat might take 300 years to form. "

EDC - Well, my EDC struggles continue. I'm fairly happy with my work bag now. It could have a couple of quick release snaps instead of actual buckles to make it more functional, but it's going to last forever and looks pretty sweet. I'm totally happy with my new little front pocket wallet. It's expanded a touch when I realized there could be a time or two my wife isn't actually in the house all day and I need to start carrying a key with me. But it's still nice and thin and good for 90% of my outings. It's that last piece of the puzzle. I have a bag that goes in my work bag to carry my wallet with all the other cards, iPad mini (for work when I don't bring my laptop) toothpick case, flashlight, knife, etc. It's just too big. And honestly, I don't think outside of the house there's ever really a time I've needed a knife or flashlight. Heck, there's a flashlight on your phone now. And this bag is too big. So I'm still brainstorming ideas. I can do without carrying my iPad around, because I haven't been. Really just need the rest of my cards, phone back-up battery and charging cables, 4-5 pens, toothpick case, lip balm and hand sanitizer. I've thought of a small zippered carrying case, but I'm worried I might set it down somewhere. A smaller bag looks too much like a purse if it has a shoulder strap. The struggle is real.

Fanny pack. It’s incredibly functional. Perfect for what you’re carrying. I love mine.
Kudos to you for being able to pull that off. It would be the right size. Also those sling bags are all the rage now. Or realistically fanny packs worn like a cross body purse. Just don't seem to look ok on me.

Spouse unit has threatened me with harm should I begin routinely sporting a fanny pack. It snuggles up under my tummy in the shade. And when I tried (successfully) to pull my shirt over it she unleashed an eye roll of Olympic quality. My position is ive reached the age I should be allowed to wear what I want; apparently I’m mistaken.

My position is ive reached the age I should be allowed to wear what I want; apparently I’m mistaken.
I've reached that stage, except for certain colors, since I'm red/green color blind. I listen to my wife's advice on mixing and matching clothes! Once she told me, "Those socks don't match." I looked at them and they were a pair of the same color, so I disagreed. She clarified that they matched neither my pants or shirt. I learned my lesson right then and there. ;)

@Majorrich well now you have to live up to the stereotype of the Corvette as the old man's sports car. I think that's a valid reason for the fanny pack.
I had an appointment with the foot doctor for a shot for plantar fasciitis, and he mentioned I should be wearing sneakers instead of my deck shoes. We then had a laugh riot about knee high tube socks and orthopedic shoes. I thought he was going to pee himself because he got the giggles and couldn’t stop. The shot seems to be taking a lot longer to work this time. I may actually have to resort to sensible shoes. I’ve been working on yelling “get off my lawn” but can’t do it with enough visceral rage yet. I think I got a couple good years left in me.

My Purse GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Interesting issues...

Why do you need the bigger bag? Carrying case files and such?

Travel light when you can brother - car key, house key, work key; pocket knife; phone; card wallet.

If you’re toting around a computer, the bag should be only about 2-3 times as thick as the laptop and maybe an inch larger than the length/width. That should give you room for a couple pens, a pad, charge cord, and a couple laptop accessories.

The end.

Why do you need the bigger bag? Carrying case files and such?
Ya, sometimes. Sometimes the computer. The power cord lives in there. Food supplies etc.

I guess the solution I'm looking for is when we get back around to spending hours, or all day out of the house other than work. Then I would like the things I've listed. Charger battery, lip balm, complete set of wallet cards, pens, knife. So really as much as I could carry in bulging pockets, but not wanting bulging pockets.

I had an appointment with the foot doctor for a shot for plantar fasciitis, and he mentioned I should be wearing sneakers instead of my deck shoes. We then had a laugh riot about knee high tube socks and orthopedic shoes. I thought he was going to pee himself because he got the giggles and couldn’t stop. The shot seems to be taking a lot longer to work this time. I may actually have to resort to sensible shoes. I’ve been working on yelling “get off my lawn” but can’t do it with enough visceral rage yet. I think I got a couple good years left in me.
New Balance 857's Rich

Here you go Dave, and no fanny pack beat down

ndbag.JPG
or

Back