The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

2020 shave #55 (DE:20 SE:14 Str:21 Cart:0) - 571 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (4)
Paladin Neptune El Dorado
Tallow + Steel Boreal
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nivea 2:1
Penhaligon’s Endymion EdP

Hey look! I didn't pack the SS, it just got slid to a place it wasn't visible on the counter. Good times and good shave. Tried to get my haircut this morning, but there were 6 people waiting for the doors to open. I'll try to slip it in during the work week. Been a busy manual labor type of day. Got all three girls' beds taken apart and into our storage shed. Packed lots of stuff and touched up the paint in three rooms. It's kinda starting to look like we're going to move in here.
Yay !!! Bring on the construction zone for them 🤪

2020 shave #56 (DE:20 SE:14 Str:22 Cart:0) - 572 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (5)
Stirling synth
The Club Black Birch Stout
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Mark Buxton Nameless

Hey, I'm doing pretty good with the SS still. Nice BBS that is just short of the dolphins screaming.

So Travis AFB is one of the places that evacuated people for the Corona virus are being brought to. This means our hospital system is part of the response and thus it's been very interesting to hear more about how government agencies and hospitals are working together on this.

Rule of thumb on rentals. Don't do it from states away as you can't keep up with and see your investment......
We own rentals in three States--California, Tennessee and Ohio. When I lived in California, I did my own property management for our properties there but that is no longer the case. The most important thing is to choose your property management very carefully in each location. The second thing is to do periodic inspections.

We own rentals in three States--California, Tennessee and Ohio. When I lived in California, I did my own property management for our properties there but that is no longer the case. The most important thing is to choose your property management very carefully in each location. The second thing is to do periodic inspections.
Yep, different story with property management. Going back to get in my hole under the rock......

My personal rental management experience falls in the category of “horror show” leading me to advise all of my clients to employ property management (and plan accordingly because they take a cut). Despite my personal experience and advice most (all but 1) my clients who have investment properties they rent out act as their own property manager. Some of them are retired and fill their empty time taking care of all the day to day needs of the various properties, the others are still working and pull their hair out catering to the whims or destructive tenants and/or responding to surprise home repairs and maintenance needs ...but oh boy they are saving that 20% a manager takes and never calling a repair man. Sometimes you get lucky with a good tenant and a well priced lease (with enough room to cover existing liabilities and to pay for surprises). Go get em!

My personal rental management experience falls in the category of “horror show” leading me to advise all of my clients to employ property management (and plan accordingly because they take a cut). Despite my personal experience and advice most (all but 1) my clients who have investment properties they rent out act as their own property manager. Some of them are retired and fill their empty time taking care of all the day to day needs of the various properties, the others are still working and pull their hair out catering to the whims or destructive tenants and/or responding to surprise home repairs and maintenance needs ...but oh boy they are saving that 20% a manager takes and never calling a repair man. Sometimes you get lucky with a good tenant and a well priced lease (with enough room to cover existing liabilities and to pay for surprises). Go get em!
We're having to rent out our own house when we move out. I was originally planning on doing everything on my own to save $. Well, I've been talked into using a realtor to list and vet applicants and have a handyman on-call to be a buffer between me and the tenants. I'll still be doing the yardwork and making the calls to the handyman, but I see the logic in having somewhat of a buffer.

2020 shave #57 (DE:20 SE:14 Str:23 Cart:0) - 573 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (6)
TSC Legacy
Nuavia Rossa
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nuavia Rossa

This shave stole from @Majorrich, @Blade-meister and @GearNoir.

I watched brother Rich's video this morning and thought the Rossa sounded like an excellent idea. And the TSC brush as well. Why not? Had a lovely shave with just a bit of scratchiness on the neck but a nice BBS. After the 3rd pass I also followed Rich in the Gear technique of relathering and letting it sit on the face while cleaning up a bit. Finally, in thinking I wish I could bottle this scent I decided why not do a little mammoth painting? I don't know if that's helping with the lingering scent or not, but I hey I'm a club member now!

Fairly busy week at work and it's tough to concentrate on getting things done with everything happening outside of work. We found out we get the keys this Saturday evening which gives us a week until we have the movers come do the big stuff. Should actually have most of the house moved at that point.

We're having to rent out our own house when we move out. I was originally planning on doing everything on my own to save $. Well, I've been talked into using a realtor to list and vet applicants and have a handyman on-call to be a buffer between me and the tenants. I'll still be doing the yardwork and making the calls to the handyman, but I see the logic in having somewhat of a buffer.
Even if you don’t have a real buffer, pretend to be the ‘really mean’ owners handyman or ex-cell mates brother that needed work because of your prison record (you’ve been advised by your public defender to never talk about what happened in Mexico again) . It might make it easier. ...or you could turn on the Dave charm and offer him/them an Oreo and all will be good. My experience had 2 failure points, rent was too low (too close to what I owed/I owed too close to what the market would bare) so I was too eager to get a renter so I didn’t screen well. Pinch #2 was when renter stopped paying and began demolishing the house I had no recourse and no $ and they knew it. When they paid rent all was good. If you have an agent helping to place the renters you are ahead of the curve already.

@CBLindsay
I prefer to instill fear in renters.
My experience was Of the 5 different renters at two different properties. I was 2 good. 1 fair. And 2 bad.
Glad to not be a landlord anymore. It is work and unpredictable at that.
In Maryland the laws can be used by renters to drag out the process and add considerable legal cost and time. Before you can get them “out”.
My best friend since 5 grade had a old factory building he rehabbed and converted into apartments. One of his renters did use the system to basically squat in one of his units.
his solution was to begin renovations on the unit. During winter in Providence. He removed the windows and “temporarily”
Covered the openings with plastic. “Unfortunately” it took quite a while to procure new windows that fit. During that time the deadbeat...I mean renters left.

Back