The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Catching up Dave, some great reads, and the yard looks great

Catching up Dave, some great reads, and the yard looks great
Thanks Dave. More than once I wondered if the new chickens have distracted from your wife asking for more holes to be dug this year. I mean we're already into spring and I haven't heard about a one!

The lawn looks good. Napa sounds like a great way to celebrate not having to mow next weekend.

Glad you got the project finished Dave. The Asylum RX is a performer for sure. Now that I have essentially been shaving with essentially the same straight razor for over six months, I have to be careful when I travel as I use the AC DX, or when I use an AC type SE (ATT SE2 or Asylum DX). None of these razor types ever gave me an issue when I first used them, but now my touch is so tuned to my straight razor that I tend to get weepers, especially ATG. Either than, or my 2 year+ old Feather Pro Supers are starting to get micro-rust on the bevels.

Glad you got the project finished Dave. The Asylum RX is a performer for sure. Now that I have essentially been shaving with essentially the same straight razor for over six months, I have to be careful when I travel as I use the AC DX, or when I use an AC type SE (ATT SE2 or Asylum DX). None of these razor types ever gave me an issue when I first used them, but now my touch is so tuned to my straight razor that I tend to get weepers, especially ATG. Either than, or my 2 year+ old Feather Pro Supers are starting to get micro-rust on the bevels.
Wow, that's surprising to hear. Of course to those of us not expert in the use of straights, it seems like once the straight is mastered everything else is a piece of cake.

2018 shave #130 (DE:23 SE:41 Str:63 Cart:2)

Asylum "The Doctor" RX w/ Feather Proguard (2)
B&M Cheshire
RazoRock 24mm synthetic
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
B&M Cheshire AS

Thought about giving the straight a try today, but saw the RX and decided to go for it and get one of those best results ever type of shaves. For me that pairs the RX with skin stretching. I get super close, but also pay the price for it being a little too aggressive. Don sent me some samples that I want to get to, but I think I put them with my other samples this weekend and it would be too noisy to get them out in the early morning. So I'm starting the day with a nice Earl Grey scent. Can anyone explain why the soap smells like tea, but there's an Elk or something on the label?

I did get me a super smooth finish. Easily DSBBS. I don't know that I'm at the +G level and I can't remember the other ratings. I did get to experience the alum burn. Which makes me also think about skin stretching with a straight razor. If that causes my SE shave to be too aggressive for my skin, is any shaving with skin stretching doing to make things a little raw? I suppose only time and experience will tell. But straights might have to be only an occasional thing for me.

...But straights might have to be only an occasional thing for me...

Nothing wrong with that.
1f60e.png

Nice shave today. My rule of thumb is that if the razor has a saftey bar or a comb I don't stretch the skin, so basically that means straights and shavettes get skin stretching while almost everything else doesn't.

Of course to those of us not expert in the use of straights, it seems like once the straight is mastered everything else is a piece of cake.

I am not a master of straights, just really getting comfortable with them. But, I find that this is not the case. Every razor presents challenges. I still have problems with early (E-Type, G-Type, etc.) Injectors. So far I find it easier to get decent results with a straight than one of those. Also, some shavettes still tend to cut my face to ribbons, i.e. the Weck Sextoblade. Every shaving technology has its own set of techniques to master and can really cause problems.

Thanks Dave. More than once I wondered if the new chickens have distracted from your wife asking for more holes to be dug this year. I mean we're already into spring and I haven't heard about a one!

LOL, no that is next on the list as she has rose bushes to plant, LOL Nice shave and pic today

First of all...great shave journal! I'm really enjoying the reads.

Your yard...way better than I thought .I mean, that turned out really nice!

Nice shave. If you are getting that much irritation, maybe you are over stretching.

Back