The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

@NurseDave serious question. Don’t you have solar panels and a battery bank? Or am I thinking of someone else?
I posted about looking into it. Turned out it wouldn’t save us any money for about the first 15 years and then our power would be free. So realistically we’d likely be paying to benefit the next people that owned the house.

We are now at the point of trying to decide if having a generator would be a smart move and how it would actually help. Even if just to save the fridge full of food.

Generator for the fridge and hot water heater (unless hard wired). Candles for the house. Grill to cook.

Heavy duty extension cords for the appliances.

We have a smaller generator for the freezer and refrigerator. And the pumps downstairs. Gas stove so we’re good there. But if you don’t know or aren’t home when power goes out. That’s when the generac is nice.

That would have been the snow blade I bought for the tractor. Then I sold it. Big mistake! Huge! But I got a blower and I’ve only needed it a few times.

Saturday:

2019 shave #300 (DE:132 SE:110 Str:56 Cart:0) - 450 days of consecutive shaving
Super Speed w/ Israeli Personna (3)
Stirling synth
?
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea 2:1

Sunday shave:
2019 shave #301 (DE:132 SE:111 Str:56 Cart:0) - 451 days of consecutive shaving
Blacklands Vector "Merlin" (6)
RazoRock synth
A&E Cafe au Lait
Alum
Witch Hazel

Video posted

2019 shave #302 (DE:133 SE:111 Str:56 Cart:0) - 452 days of consecutive shaving
Psycho w/ Feather (1)
RazoRock synth
The Club Oriental Oud
Alum
Witch Hazel
Tom Ford Oud Minerale

Well, today's shave looked more like I think Dave's did, but I have yet to see his video. Just lit by a flashlight pointed to the ceiling. In the end it was a great shave, just a lot on my mind during it so I'm lucky there wasn't alum sting from pressure.

No power yet, but the water heater is still working so that's a saving grace. Otherwise the girls would have had to stay over at their grandparents so they could get ready for school. The current story is, power might be back on today, but then off again on Tuesday - Thursday for another high wind event. But also a chance it will be off all the way through Thursday. So we just hoping we get the chance to do everyone's laundry today and it will cool the freezers back down. We've lost everything in the fridge for sure now, but will go get some ice and live out of a cooler for a while. And good ole Amazon! We ordered some LED lanterns yesterday and they'll be delivered today as well.

Dude. What the hell? It's 2019, surely somebody can figure out how to make power lines incapable of arching. :mad:

I posted about looking into it. Turned out it wouldn’t save us any money for about the first 15 years and then our power would be free. So realistically we’d likely be paying to benefit the next people that owned the house.

Figured it out. There is a guy at my office with a Tesla and the solar panels on his roof. One day he was showing me an app on his phone that showed his solar energy production.

I’m hoping at least the freezer part of your frig is salvageable. Keeping you guys in my thoughts. Always in prayer.

2019 shave #303 (DE:134 SE:111 Str:56 Cart:0) - 453 days of consecutive shaving
Timeless w/ Voskhod (1)
Paladin Brush of Shame
PdP 63
Alum
Witch Hazel
Dior Sauvage

Every time I see @Majorrich using the ole 63 I think that I need to get it out. Finally did, and I still need the EdP! Little bit of irritation on the 3rd pass on the neck, but no alum sting. And I smell like a million bucks.

Finally got power on around dinner time last night. Which meant I could finally open things up and see the damage. Lost the whole stand up freezer in the garage because it didn't have the best seal. And lost 1/4 of our normal freezer and everything that is actually perishable in the fridge. #)!@)(!~* PG&E. I did order a generator yesterday, but it won't be here until next Tuesday. As people say, probably just insurance for this never happening again. Locally everywhere is sold out of generators and most sold on-line can't be shipped to CA because of our emissions laws. We did get in our LED lanterns and got our laundry and ironing done. All the grocery stores are out of ice so all I can do is bag up what our ice maker makes and throw some water bottles in the freezer. Word is electricity will go out again some time today and last til Thursday. At least we're a little more prepared this time.

Glad you have your power back. Years ago I drove a generator half-way to New Hampshire for my best friend's family. They were all sold out up there. My friend was kind enough to send me a check and to name the generator after me. Larry the Generator lives in NC now, fyi.

Back