The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Not quite Music City USA

Tonight was a reward for today's successful TP mission. I went with a favorite scent, and possibly like a moth to a flame, I reached for the Timeless .95 Stainless, which had wreaked so much carnage on my face the first two times I used it.

Prep: Hot shower, Ach Brito Glyce Soap, Proraso Red Pre-shave cream
Razor: Timeless .95 SS
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (1)
Soap: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Brush: Parker Long Loft Badger
Post-shave: Osma Tradition Alum Block, cold water rinse
After-Shave: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum

The Timeless is a hefty razor. Pretty sure it's the heaviest razor I own. I decided to try a different blade in it after the disaster with my beloved Astra SP, so I went with the Personna Israeli Red that I've heard so much good about. I've only tried it once in an AS-D2, and came away preferring the Feather Hi-Stainless in that razor. So my face having only just healed from the first tries, I put it gently to my face again. I did my usual four passes, and this time I experienced no irritation at all. A BBS with no discomfort at all. The alum block was merely cool on my skin, and the Atomic Age soap left my skin feeling very supple. It was a great shave, simply put. I finished with Atomic Age Bay Rum, which is really my favorite Bay Rum, so I'm a happy camper, who is currently finishing my productive day listening to the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports broadcast of Game 5 of the 1943 World Series between the Yankees and the Cardinals. MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM is broadcasting old classic games every night this month. I have listened to them all, being a baseball junkie, it's a great opportunity to experience games I only know from books. For years, my Spring, Summer, and Fall have been filled with the play of my beloved, beleaguered Orioles. I miss them, but these all-time classics are better than nothing. Right this minute, I'm healthy, clean shaven, I smell great, I'm listening to a game, and my family is healthy. I'm a lucky guy.

Thanks for reading and have a great shave!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Great read. Never used the .95. I owned a .68 OC for awhile and enjoyed the shaves but found less expensive SS razors that shaved as well or better and so let it go. Glad you found the right blade to combine with it for a win. 👍

Great read. Never used the .95. I owned a .68 OC for awhile and enjoyed the shaves but found less expensive SS razors that shaved as well or better and so let it go. Glad you found the right blade to combine with it for a win.
Thanks! I was impressed with the Personna and I'm excited to try it in my other razors.

Very nice shave! Listening to the classic games must be a treat. You are right...listening to names that I have only read about in books...it must be exciting reliving them!

Tonight I went with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements again, and the Timeless, again.

Prep: Hot shower, Ach Brito Glyce Soap, Proraso Red Pre-shave cream
Razor: Timeless .95 SS
Blade: Personna Israeli Red
Soap: PAA Alt 11 Bang
Brush: Thater Ivory Synthetic
Aftershave: PAA Captain Smythe's Reserve Bay Rum and Leather

The Alt 11 Bang lid says it's a Virginia Tobacco Flower scented soap. I've never smelled an actual tobacco flower, Virginia or elsewhere. I should let my mother smell it, except that she worked tobacco fields from the age of 9 until she married, so she hates the smell of tobacco. I don't know if she even smelled the flowers, or noticed the scent. Her father had children pretty much for the free farm labor, and put them to work pretty early on. Anyway, I don't think it smells like Tabac, and for the record, I like Tabac, Arko, and Lilac Vegetal, but I assiduously refrain from commenting on others tastes in these areas. There's plenty of good natured ribbing to be had either way. Now to the razor. The razor. Hmm. It was a major investment for me, and I really want to like it, but it's a little on the heavy side. I got another smooth, irritation-free shave with it, but there's the distinct lack of a wow factor like I had with the Rex Envoy. At this point, I think I'll use it for a month, with a couple of different very familiar blades before I render a keep or sell verdict. I want to like it. For my Aftershave I used PAA Captain Smythe's Reserve Bay Rum. The bay rum is nice, although not as rich as Atomic Age, but the dry down reveals a very nice leather smell, which I really like. It lasts a good while too. So I'm retiring tonight to the play-by-play of Game 6 of the 1956 World Series. Yanks-Dodgers. Lots of good Gillette commercials.

Thanks for reading this, and have a great shave!

One rerun sport I like to watch are the old, well known boxing matches. Still gets the blood pumping excitement, even if you’ve looked up the results before.

I got another smooth, irritation-free shave with it, but there's the distinct lack of a wow factor like I had with the Rex Envoy.
I'd say if it shaves well, keep it. For me, it's the quality of the shave that matters most. There is something to be said for cool gear, however. YMMV.

I'd say if it shaves well, keep it. For me, it's the quality of the shave that matters most. There is something to be said for cool gear, however. YMMV.
I understand. It'll be pretty likely I'll keep it. If I continue to improve with it, for sure. I think a solid month of shaves will tell the tale. Thanks!

Tonight was a switch em up kind of night. I used a great razor I don't use enough, tried a new soap, and had my second go round with a new brush.

Prep: Hot shower, Ach Brito Glyce Soap, Proraso Green Pre-shave cream
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Soap: Stirling Ben Franklin (first use)
Brush: West Coast Shaving Silvertip Badger
After-Shave: Fine American Blend

First, I'm not a fan of the scent of Ben Franklin. It smells, um, industrial to me. The words that came to my mind were, "wet drywall." I'll definitely use it, but it'll probably be a while, after I've knocked out a bunch of soaps I prefer. I forget how nice a shave I can get with the NEW LC. It really is a light, efficient performer. The Nacet blade is smooth and very sharp. I did four passes and got a great BBS result. An unusual lineup tonight, but I'm very happy with the shave. The Fine American Blend is awesome.

Thanks for reading! Have a great shave.

Back