The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Horizons in Shaving

Always good to see an update Cole! Bummer the shave nirvana has been breached. Hopefully that rights itself soon.

At least you’re still the best smelling person in Helsinki!

Maybe I just needed to post here, the shaving doldrums have been overcome, had a great shave today, and my neck is still feeling good going into the evening. The stubble coming out it one of the many things that really irritate it.

Lot's of playing with blades over the last couple of weeks, I must have gotten the golden egg on the Sliver Blue I had such great shaves with, as the next ones were meh. Now I'm on a Polsilver, and at there very least it's super smooth!

I spent a while just finishing off a couple of tubs, but starting to rotate again. Everyone knows my favorite brand, but Extra and The Club both gave me some great shaves lately as well.

Took last week as an easy training week and hard coding week, and got the bones of my first app done. Now to set up the data storage.

Back to training hard as well, and I think it might be working, I just made a quick demo video of an exercise for a client and was a bit surprised to see I actually looked a little like I actually work out!

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, even if I don't do much to celebrate. Tonight however, I'm live streaming with a UK buddy, playing Musket and Pike, The Battle of Edgehill. That was the first major engagement of the English Civl War.

Great shave today, another blade I haven't used in a while, the 7 O'Clock Yellow gave me one of the best shaves I've had in a while.

Had a good week of coding last week, and think I'm ready to start adding data persistence soon. But I ran into an unexpected problem. When we set up this new workspace, it went into a corner next to a window. Well now that it's getting colder, the draft from it is so strong, I can't sit here for long without starting to shiver. Not great for concentration. I was getting pretty depressed about it tbh, but today I just set up with the laptop elsewhere, got me work done and looked at what we can do to move this.

I think I found a great solution, so some more rearranging over the next couple of days, and then hopefully I can settle back in to the project.

In the meantime, tonight is the second session of Musket and Pike, what have I learned so far, 17th century warfare was a bloodbath.

I don't know what it is with kids these days. Bob Cratchit made do with a candle for light AND heat!
00126856b005906ddf06766cdd15c6dc2cf87b28.gif

Last edited:
I don't know what it is with kids these days. Bob Cratchit made do with a candle for light AND heat!
00126856b005906ddf06766cdd15c6dc2cf87b28.gif
I was gonna say…no room for a space heater at least?

View attachment 97573
Yeah, I set myself up for that one, but I'm not kidding it's like having a constant cold breeze on you, but it's just in that one spot of the living room, so a space heater overheats the rest of the room, making the Mrs. very unhappy, and it still doesn't really stop that draft.
Anyway, I just showed my proposed solution to Helena and got a thumbs up, it'll make the whole space more comfortable.
That's one thing with life here that I'll never get used to tbh, you North Americans have the luxury of space. Here the living room is also an office and game/puzzle room. We've looked for larger flats in the area, but they are virtually non-existent.

Well that darn 7 O'Clock Yellow is turning out to be a great blade for me so far. It's always funny how worthing that didn't work for you in the past can suddenly be the best thing ever.

Last night's gaming stream was the expected blood bath, but when it's just virtual cardboard on the line, it's a lot of fun.

....That's one thing with life here that I'll never get used to tbh, you North Americans have the luxury of space. Here the living room is also an office and game/puzzle room. ...
Indeed. We are truly pampered when it comes to space in the US and Canada, whether it's inside or outside.

1671981254406.jpeg

Merry Christmas shave friends.
Had a great shave with the Gillette Aristocrat, the razor clicked with me about a month ago, and it’s now in frequent rotation, no razor feels as good in my hand as this.
The spice of T+S West Indies felt like a good pair to Lorenzo Villoresi Atman Xaman, one of four frags this year from Helena.

In addition, she got me a solo board game, Skies Above Britain, which I’ve been having a great time learning today.

1671981555683.jpeg

All in all a very peaceful Christmas, which is much appreciated.

Shaving is going great, and it still amazes me how pleasurable such a simple act can be. It's also amazing how you do improve in the various facets of the shave over time. I signed up for one of Spider's annual challenges, the Williams one (the other one is for masochists). I haven't used it in maybe two years, and though it was always fine soap for me, today it was great, and so was the shave. Sure Williams is a bit , shall we say, dull, but other than that the key shave soap properties are there in abundance, other than maybe body, it just never has gotten that thick protective type later, but it also doesn't feel like it really needs it.

IMG_0848.jpeg

It's been a productive first month of the year. Still, unbelievably, dealing with the ongoing dramas of the company I Co-Founded and left nearly a year ago, and those surrounding my mother's death. But, fingers crossed, both seem to be winding up for good.

After a hiatus over much of December, I'm back on the app coding, and making great progress. It was a grind to learn how to actually be able to save data, so when you open the app the records are still there, but we had success and now things are steaming along. I'll take the time I need but am hoping early March to release.

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 19.29.16.png

One of my other big goals for the medium term is to get Finnish citizenship, lots of reasons for that, but to do it I have to pass a language test. Though I speak Finnish, and increasingly people even understand me, the test isn't easy so I'm staring to study, at my own pace. I'm giving myself a good year on that one, but setting the goal and getting started has been something I've put off. I do think that the whole New Year's thing can be a good time to set these kinds of goals, and give a sort of annual marker that it's time to assess what you want out of life, and do things to move in that direction.
IMG_0847.jpeg

Impressive with the coding my friend! And here’s hoping the drama subsides so you can focus on your goals - good luck with the language - I imagine being immersed as you have been does help.

We’re rooting for you my friend!

Back