The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Horizons in Shaving

Been a while since you posted on your journal! Have a fantastic day Cole (well by the time I’m writing this - in your time - your halfway to the day ending)!

It has, mostly because I’m treating this more as an update thread, than a journal. Otherwise it’s just saying the same thing over and over most days. At this point shaving wise, things happen on a long timescale.

Glad you hung onto the NEW and gave it another go!

Also very glad to hear you are soon going to be able to move on and find closure from some big hassles. Improved mental/emotional health is improved everything! 😎👍

Couldn't agree more!
Thanks guys, yes that’s so true, and what I’ve been working towards once I realized what an unhealthy situation is was in due to being in business with a dysfunctional narcissist.

Getting fully out has taken some time, but I just solved the final piece of the puzzle last Friday.

The situation with my mother goes to mediation in about a month, and then we are on the road to closure, I just need to get over to CA to pay my last respects.

I’m already in a 100% better place than 6 months ago, and can tell because I’m starting to take an interest in life again, and my relationships are improving all around.

I’m already in a 100% better place than 6 months ago, and can tell because I’m starting to take an interest in life again, and my relationships are improving all around.
So happy for you Cole! 🙏

It's about time for another shaving update.
I swear, this shaving business is a skill. I've really been focusing on getting better at keeping the blade angle consistent on my skin. At some point I noticed that I wasn't always doing a great job of compensating for the various angles of my face and neck.
I think it's getting better, I pretty much use my Smart Helix 9 times out of 10, and occasionally swap out the mild head for the more aggressive one. Doing this last week, I gave myself what felt like a normal shave, but to my surprise, after two passes, I realized I was done.

Keeping with it this week, it's been pretty much the same, just needing to hit that area under the jaw a bit more, but there the hairs go every which way, and of course, angles.

So that's kind of cool.

The personal stuff seems to be going better as well. The company I left, omg, what a saga, out of conscience I still am doing support. Long story there. But I've really gotten to the point that it's just another task, and not getting worked up anymore.

The stuff with my mother's passing is winding down as well.

The stuff with Putin next door continues, and that's going to make this an interesting winter. We're getting talk of brown outs etc. Well, thankfully I've got a lot of winter clothes, so we'll be OK. We even got one of those battery back up things, which I suppose will help if needed.

Of course, I'm still training hard, and have finally gotten back to the gym which has made a huge difference for me. I feel my legs coming back, my energy levels are up. Even while I'm in the last month of a cut. On top of that doing 2 ballet classes a week, which really makes a huge difference in my energy expenditure. I can tell because the scale is dropping more on the same calories.

The ballet classes have also changed for me somehow, I just feel way more relaxed and am enjoying them more. I know it sounds 'goofy' but it's actually pretty darn hard to learn.

Finally I'm coming to the end of the iOS course I've been working through, and need to decide where to go next. I'm thinking of making an app for recording SOTD's as a learning project, as that would be a mostly simpler way of working with some of the key components of the main project I want to build. Not sure yet if I'll do that or go straight to the main event.

Glad you’re safe and taking care of yourself Cole!

When do winter temps start hitting?
D822A28B-33FA-43E7-BFF3-94B8C1F0C8AC.gif

Glad you’re safe and taking care of yourself Cole!

When do winter temps start hitting?
View attachment 92278
Usually winter temps start around Oct/Nov. Today it’s hot and muggy, I love the Indian summer here when we get it. It’s that last dose of heat before it gets cold.
I guess that’s going to start next week, when it will dip down into the 50’s and soon it will never get above the 40’s for fall.

Things look to be trendy up Cole! So good to hear! I remember the first ballet that I saw in person - I was really impressed with the athleticism - just amazing. The fact that you are personally doing it - just wow! Have a great weekend my friend!

Things look to be trendy up Cole! So good to hear! I remember the first ballet that I saw in person - I was really impressed with the athleticism - just amazing. The fact that you are personally doing it - just wow! Have a great weekend my friend!
Well here's some in class footage for you to enjoy

tumblr_leyusycefx1qcla7c.gif

I broke out the Gibbs adjustable today, and had a great shave. Tallow and Steel Spiced Fougere was yelling at me to use it, and it was a great shaving experience.

Finally finished the iOS online course today, where we built a pretty full fledged app. Next I'll start to divide my time between working on a barebones "Shave Save" app, and figuring out the architecture of the major app I'm working (slowly) towards.

The end of the app just snuck up on me, and this afternoon I realized I was done, it felt pretty nice :)

I've had a number of nearing empty tubs, and just decided to finish them singly, and tbh it's been sort of nice, one less thing to have to think about in the morning.

After being on a sort of shave high, with months of great shaves, suddenly we're back in the doldrums, and my neck is starting to bug me again, it was nice while it lasted. I have been playing with my razor blade as well, so that may have contributed. Starting to use Silver Blues, because I had a great streak with one, best shaves ever, but then when it was time to swap it for a new one, the shaves weren't the same. Not blaming the blade but just how it went.

Coding is coming along nicely, it's been great to get away from just doing tutorials to starting my own project from scratch.
I'd originally planned on a 'Shave Save' app but I saw a few hurdles that didn't make it a good first project after all, and I had a moment training where I wish I had and app that would make it easy to log how sore or beat up I am, so pivoted over to that and have been making good progress.

I did get stuck for the better part of a week just trying to figure out how to best make a log that could be one of any number of different categories. That was frustrating but fun, took me back to my days in university staying up late solving physics and math problems.

The way these things usually go is beat your head against a wall, interspersed with lots of Google (yes programming is built on Google) and then one day it was just, oh just do this, and it was 'simple'.

Anyway best to my friends here at the Cadre.

I did get stuck for the better part of a week just trying to figure out how to best make a log that could be one of any number of different categories.
The way these things usually go is beat your head against a wall, interspersed with lots of Google
It’s a problem with your technique - got to put some shoulder into it…

1666117461753.gif

Back