The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Horizons in Shaving

Impressive with the coding my friend! And here’s hoping the drama subsides so you can focus on your goals - good luck with the language - I imagine being immersed as you have been does help.

We’re rooting for you my friend!
Thanks so much Brian!

Well we're just chugging right along on the Williams Challenge, and due to sheer laziness, also the one blade challenge. I'm this close to finishing out the month I may as well.
I'm a Williams convert, too bad that I'm 30 years too late for the good, vintage stuff. If I had a stockpile, I could easily manage with just it. I wasn't excepting that at all, but this has been a really carefree month of shaves.

Whew, the app hit a rough spot with getting the calendar to work, then actually using it in my daily life, I saw the need to add a feature, but I think the first 90% is ready, and now just a cleaning things up, and working to getting it AppStore ready. That's another new area for me, but the whole thing has been a great learning process.

Next? Torn between Shave of the Day app, or getting into the diet planner straight away.

Soreness Tracker.PNG

CalView.PNGDaysView.PNG

You’ve really put a lot of thought into the app. I like how the calendar uses a similar UX as the regular iOS calendar. Good job!
Thanks, it's an Apple API so it should look native.
It was really tough for me to work out how to use it, because it uses a different framework than what I learned, but it was a great learning experience.

App is looking slick!
Sweet!

I'm going more minimalist with my shaves lately. After the Williams thing, I tried doing similar with Extra, and think I lasted 4-5 days, and bam, I was back to Tallow + Steel.
I had a couple of tubs which were getting low, and just organically started using them everyday. I've finished a couple of tubs, and have to pick my next one tomorrow.
I have a cool ceramic soap bowl, that was part of the scuttle I got from SchwarzWeissKeramic and as my last tub got low, just put the remains in it, and found that was a fabulous experience to use, so next tub I pick, I'll put it in there, and just rotate as it empties. That's the plan, but not taking it too seriously. I just liked the simplicity of grabbing the ceramic bowl, and not having to fuss with piles of plastic tubs.

At least with Baygere, I really never got sick of it, it's one of those perennial scents, and I'm sure I'll stock up more before it's gone forever.

But I've at least used a couple of different razors. Having prepped a bunch of blades for the Gibbs, I'm using it on the regular again, and it is a terrific razor. Of course most of the time it's that Smart Helix, which for me, is the best razor I've tried overall.

Blade wise, I was on a Polsilver kick, but had a Facet sitting in my cabinet, and when it was time to replace blades, it was just there, so popped it in. I forgot how smooth they are, though I don't think I get quite as close a shave. I feel the stubble coming back in a bit more, will cycle the Polsilver back in when it's time and compare. That stubble coming back in itchy thing is my biggest shaving nemesis.

The rest is my personal rant about TSC events, and you may not want to read further.

I'm really sad about Brian's, aka Skuttlesoap's departure.

I'm not privy to what happened, and assumed at first it was personal reasons, but when an owner replied to an offhand comment with a long rant, basically saying he'd been booted, I can only say, my feelings weren't positive.

I thought this was a shaving forum for folks who were past the political and other BS at other places. That we were self moderating. Brian was one of the handful of people here I considered a friend, and the silly banter that he brought was a big thing that kept me posting here.

Personally, other than don't be a jerk, I don't see how many rules are needed, or what rule could be broken that would lead a genuine core member to be uncerimoniously booted, without scarcely a mention by anyone. Yes I know I singed up to rules, largely with a huge sigh, and a big 'whatever'.

So I guess that's why I'm ranting here, I feel it, the place is less with him gone, and my personal joy is massively less. It's not the first time either. That time already massively changed my involvement. So at this point, I have to really question the foundation TSC is built on be factual. That said, it's where I've landed, and will keep coming, until I'm also unceremoniously dismissed too.

Unlike Brian, I haven't contributed a fraction to the community, so have no expectations there, but felt it important to get off my chest and in some small way honor a friend who genuinely helped bring some joy and laughter to a very rough time I was going through.

Last edited:
Coming to you today from Corfu, Greece.

It's been a long time coming but I finally got out of Finland for a bit. Thankfully the heat wave broke so it's only in the 90's, just right for me, I need a vacation to heat after another craptasitic summer in Finland.

We've got a fabulous place, with our own private deck and mini pool. The service here is beyond anything I've experienced as well, and frankly I'm loving it.

Trying to get lots of photos taken here, I'm trying to post the better ones in my Instagram coledano is the handle there.

I saved this last tub ofShikoku for a special occasion, and this is it, and it's a perfect compliment to the environment here. Fatip Grande and @CBLindsay's Christmas brush are my go to travel choices as well.

Looking forward to being a bit less pasty and a bit more sweaty this week.

DSC00557-2.jpg

Thanks Chris, 61 this year, keeping it low key, but that's the way I like it.
Just got in from a light session at the gym, then Helena and I are going out for some Sukiyaki! My favorite :)
Of course, I'm going to be smelling good too!

Back