The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Horizons in Shaving

I’m really stoked you like the Smart Helix! It is such a beautifully designed razor IMO.

Have you tried their Cognac soap and if so, what are your thought? I’m interested in this one
Thanks! I appreciate the design even more, having it in hand and on face. Little things like how the base plate is made, just angled down to create the gap and precise feel of the safety bar.

I haven't tried Cognac, but people who have seem to like it. As far as the soap base itself goes, it's really, really good, so worth a try. The scents seem to be the divisive part, but I think even that's changing over the years.

Yeah, I feel like all these years of using other razors were just a build up to this.
Always have felt that way, for better or worse, with my “current favorites”. Very glad I don’t feel the AD but as bad so much now though.

Gibbs adjustable was on deck today. It's really an outstanding razor, super close and efficient shave, but definitely more redness as well. I purposely didn't push it as hard as last week too. It's ok, the resultant smooth face is worth it, now I just do it a bit less often.

Compared to the Apollo, the Gibbs felt like an old sports car, fun, loose, and bouncy in comparison to the tightly performing Ukrainian rocket. But boy does it get the job done.

Always have felt that way, for better or worse, with my “current favorites”. Very glad I don’t feel the AD but as bad so much now though.
In my case, it's so much harder to feed, everything is imported, and costs as such. A large part of why I was using vintage for so long, but the time and experience was worth it anyway.

I think it's something you kind of naturally grow out of, time and budget constraints maybe expand or contract the time under RAD though.

Today's shave -
Smart Helix Apollo Light - Mild plate
Premasharp blade
Vintage Williams soap (+ some Tallow + Steel remnants)
Floid Vigaroso and Tallow + Steel Aftershaves

A great shave, as I wrap my head around the mild plate, I'd compare it to a high tech Tech, maybe what I'd imagine an ASD2 to be like, but much more precise due the head design. I've just never used a razor where it's so clear exactly where the blade is. The final result is a good shave, I see noticeably less overall irritation, even with a fair amount of buffing, but it's not the closest shave. Having sort of grocked that now, I'm happy, because even though it's not insanely close, it's really pleasant as the subtle comes back in.
I was having problems with really itchy grow back with my Techs, not sure it was just a bad spell of lazy shaves or what. I'll have to revise that soon.

Otherwise, really just chilling out here, taking a pseudo holiday as Helena has some time off. Been watching the Olympics of course, and spent today going down a one bag travel bag rabbit hole. I guess I can fantasize about needing one. Not sure if any you folks are into bags, here being a walking town, you use them all the time. If you are, what's your favorite?

Watching the Olympics (through Peacock) has been frustrating for me. Since I don’t watch real-time, I have to watch recorded. They only show the full events of select sports, the rest is all highlights…I want it all. 🤨

Not sure if any you folks are into bags, here being a walking town, you use them all the time. If you are, what's your favorite?
My 18 year old hydration/hiking back pack is my EDC of choice. It’s not one of the huge multi-day excursion packs mind you, more like a day pack, about school backpack size. Probably time for a new one now that I’m thinking about it…

I’ve been eyeing a more rugged, military-like pack design recently. I’ve also been eyeing some slightly more compact sling type packs.

giphy.gif

Watching the Olympics (through Peacock) has been frustrating for me. Since I don’t watch real-time, I have to watch recorded. They only show the full events of select sports, the rest is all highlights…I want it all. 🤨

My 18 year old hydration/hiking back pack is my EDC of choice. It’s not one of the huge multi-day excursion packs mind you, more like a day pack, about school backpack size. Probably time for a new one now that I’m thinking about it…

I’ve been eyeing a more rugged, military-like pack design recently. I’ve also been eyeing some slightly more compact sling type packs.
We don't even have Peacock here, so I've had to work to find what I want to see. So far, street skating, the women's completion was really amazing, great vibe there. Gymnastics, watched men's all-round last night, nice to see Kohei Uchiumra pass the baton to the next generation in Japan. Great event.
On a lark, I watched Estonia vs China women's fencing, and it was a barn burner!

Sling packs and fanny packs are making a come back, I just got one (Evergoods Mountain Hip Pack), and love it for around town, or short walks. I tend to like the minimal, not quite military style, but not tech nerd style either bags. Evergoods is my favorite brand for that, but there are a lot of other brands out there too, it's it's own rabbit hole for sure.

That's too funny!

Just so you don't question my manliness, the one I got, is a sling that can also be worn on the hip. Around town, it's a sling, but tbh for long walks, it's really comfortable on the hip.

Today's shave:
Apollo Light - Aggressive Plate
Tallow and Steel - Classic Twoi
Paladin Winston
Classic Two AS / Myrsol Formula K (for Kool)

Another great shave. It is interesting how different razors affect the way you shave. This razor is a real teacher, hard to explain, but it makes me want to work harder to find better shaves. I guess anyone here knows how much of the art is about bear mapping, and it's still something I work on. Some how, due to the precise, but very safe feeling of the razor, it's helping me really hound out more of the lay lines of my beard, especially on my neck. Making it easier also to find new techniques to flatten the skin.

That said, though I love the results, it is more work, and I almost wish they had a third, still more aggressive plate, that could get me to similar levels of efficiency as I get with the Gibbs. Which tells me that whenever I take my next step, it will be towards a bit more aggression. Maybe the Vector not sure, and not in a hurry either.

What is the scent profile? Does it lean towards “traditional “ as like Aqua Velva or Proraso?
To me, neither. It’s a strong peppermint scent with refreshing menthol effects. Feels nice! The scent doesn’t last overly long though so you could follow it up with other fragrances.

What is the scent profile? Does it lean towards “traditional “ as like Aqua Velva or Proraso?
Exactly what @GearNoir said, it's a great choice when I want the burn, but don't want much of lingering scent.
It uses peppermint instead of menthol, which has a slightly different feel, not that it's that dramatic. It's become one of my favorites, but I'm a huge fan of Myrsol in general.

Sounds like I get to add another aftershave to my wishlist !
What I like about Myrsol in general is it feels very clean on my skin, feels like just a good dose of clean alcohol. Some of the other drug store brands feel like there's extra not-so-goodness to me, so this is a great balance to that.

For example today I used Myrsol right after the shave, and follow it up with T+S alcohol free splash. Works great that way too.

Back