The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Horizons in Shaving

I think we got a breakthrough today. Used the mild head, switching to the aggressive for pickups, this time with a Wizamet, and got a great shave, neck included.

More than anything, I think it's just getting comfortable with the razor, and trying to give it time to make a real judgment.

The only validity is if the words "Initial Impressions" are used otherwise correct
Well of course it's good to know that, but being an initial impression, implies not much value in making a final decision, so I'd say it was a fair comment either way, but one is certainly more honest.

I suppose it's pretty natural to drop first impressions, we're at peak excitement, and want to share, so there's value in that for sure.

But how many times have you seen folks go off and say this is the best razor ever, only to punt it forward after a couple of months of use?

I suppose it's pretty natural to drop first impressions, we're at peak excitement, and want to share, so there's value in that for sure.

But how many times have you seen folks go off and say this is the best razor ever, only to punt it forward after a couple of months of use?
Well, very true, but the natire of this hobby as well as many others lends credence to the exuberance, as we all become that 4-yr old with a new toy and we want to tell the world how awesome it is. I am guilty of it and challenge anyone whom says they have not done the same thing. I have a bunch of Scotch to prove that LOL. I look at reviews based on the reviewers experience with multiple shaving disciplines and accoutrements an initial impression can give an insight to future and final results. When I look at reviews I consider the reviewer, the number of reviews, his or her experience level in whichever product they have, how big is their inventory of that type of item, which can indicate the comparisons made in either the initial or long term review. Not to mention as new and more complex products hit the market, initial and or reviewed impressions can change. There is not right or wrong review on anything really, as it is really YMMV, and opinions of one, based on their needs wants and performance may differ greatly from the next guy.
In the end use what you like, take reviews as a guide. I for one have been in this game for over 30+ years and I can still learn new things, products, techniques and so forth from all reviewers. As there is always something good to be taken from every review, no matter how small

Nevertheless I think there's a lot to be said for actually spending time with a product, and there's a lot of room for more such reviews out there.

Maybe that's my mindset, I don't want to fill my home with hundreds of soaps, razors, etc. My end game is a few razors and soaps. I enjoy spending time with the items I've chosen, and don't want to feel I need to be part of the shaving arms race. It's always been about the shave, not the chase for me.

Of course that makes for boring social media, but at this point in time, not sure that's a bad thing either.

Anyway, I'm definitely getting a handle on the Smart Helix, great shave today. I love the feel of the razor overall.

Thanks @BarberDave just occurred to me that could have read wrong. Helsinki has notoriously small flats, and I was overrunning our bathroom, This season I realized the space for stuff trade off wasn’t what I wanted.
no, I get it, A large portion of my Air Force Career was in Europe and living off base a few times, we Westerners are used to much larger, less efficient and much less population density, LOL

Just having my morning coffee, and noticing that my beard growth doesn't seem that much different than it did yesterday after noon.
I've seen people comparing razors by how long the shave lasts, now I think I get what they mean.

The odd thing is the shave itself doesn't feel closer than normal, almost less so, but the durability of the shave is unreal. What is this strange mojo?

I'm closing in on a system.

The mild plate for the majority of the shave and the aggressive for a neck pick up pass, back to the mild for final pick up. The razor wants me to take my time with the clean up work, but it's such a joy to use that I don't care.

I did a lot of research on the razor before deciding to pull the trigger, and one of the IMO odd ball comments where someone dismissed the razor, was over the fact that the pins that locate the blade are on the base vs the head. I'm actually finding it to be ver cool. I had the aggressive head set up on the side with a Nacet, and it made the swap basically effortless. Used a Wizamet for the mild, seems to be a winning combo.

Today is definitely my best shave with the razor so far, stunning shave!

Back