The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

Union Memorial Hospital
10/25/57
Grew up in Carney

Everyone from there remembers that game.

You still in the area?
Don't know the hospital, 3/20/57, My parents owned a duplex in Rogers Forge.

No, we were a USCG family, so we moved around. I'm in Pittsburgh.

I’m told these collapsible bowls are designed to keep Fido from quaffing his food too fast. Nothing I have sloshes up the suds quite as easy for me.
I prefer the bowls without the nubs. I bought my dog bowls off Amazon for under $2 ea.

Don't know the hospital, 3/20/57, My parents owned a duplex in Rogers Forge.

No, we were a USCG family, so we moved around. I'm in Pittsburgh.
Great area Rogers Forge.

Baltimore—Pittsburgh….football, hmm.

57 was a great year for cars. My dad let me know every once in a while that if it wasn’t for my impending arrival, he’d have had the T-Bird instead of the Ford Custom. For the same money. No wonder I’m so screwed up, I ruined dad’s life.

When younger, my bride and I dined at J.U. Golden Arm restaurant a couple of times. Johnny made it a practice to mingle with his guests. What a great memory of a great gentleman.
I saw him play near the end of his Colts' career. It was against the Patriots, about 1970 or '71, and my family was fortunate enough to see Unitas throw a TD, and to win the game. Great childhood memory.

9-9 evening shave

Stirling suds & AS, Bergamot Lavender flavored
Simpsons Emperor 2, face lather
Essence by Tedalus, Feather Pro Super (6)

2-1/2 passes got me there

I usually start thinking about tossing these blades somewhere around this count. The low shave angle that I can set to with this tool says 1 more.

I’ve said this would have been the razor to end RAD for me, what was I drinking to say that? Clearly a lie.

Great shave. Go for it gang.

6F3B15C8-280A-443C-8DE6-24FA31FBE085.jpeg

Thx guys.

I had been communicating with the owner / designer from before the design was finalized. His design exceeded the wish list that he solicited from me.

33 of the original run of 333 were sold at a 30 % discount. They went on sale at 2:00am local time. My order was completed at 2:07am for the discount. That addressed the most frequent objection. I’d have probably still coughed up the dough at full price. I do have a couple of straights that got in that same range. And if I ever hit the ‘Buy’ button on the Suehiro 20k I’ve been looking at, ‘cash out’ comes into that range.

The other complaint is that leaving a blade in the tool risks blade contact with the one piece aluminum scales. I have come to appreciate the design of the blade holding mechanism and consider it superior to a Feather DX I own. I always disassemble and clean/dry.

Great fun shaver.

SOTD

• Stirling suds & AS, Dunshire flavored
• Stirling High Mountain soap hogger
• Fine Accoutrements bowl
• Wacker 6/8 Barbers Bride

71B05B6D-2A89-43C9-AAF2-254E95D2F5FD.jpeg

Took me a while to get this razor shaving like I wanted. Made from the commonly used 6/8 shoulderless thumbnotch blank, which I’m not a big fan of. The Dovo Masters, at one time made the use of a shoulderless straight shank 6/8, which I had thought I might better. If they ever decide to revive that style, I have to work really hard to keep that $300 in my pocket.

Great shave.

SOTD Sunday 9/12

• Suds courtesy of Col Conk, Bay Rum flavor
• Suds Whipper - Stirling Tuxedo
• Razorock Hawk V3A
• Edge by, Feather ProGuard (6)
• Stirling Spice splash on AS

AAAA1A05-CBD3-45BB-8501-B233A3FCD4E5.jpeg

Some time back I came into the market for an Artist Club safety razor. A friend was kind enough to loan me his Vector for a test drive, I totally loved it. In my experimenting, I found the use of a guarded blade to have the capacity to deliver the mindless great shave I wish I had in the 20+ years I was a traveling coat & tie. Glad those days are passed.

Anyhow, I chambered up the sufficient stuff and cocked the hammer only to find “Sold Out” everywhere in the scope. Being the impatient consumer that I am once I commit to spending unreasonable and exorbitant funds on stuff that I want NOW, made totally sure I was on blood pressure meds for a good enough reason.

Looking around lead me to the SS Hawk, which served to pasify my little hissy fit for now. The razor does work pretty good though.

Great shave. Great week y’all.

Back