The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Most regretted blind buy?

I have to say it... Prorasso red.

I got it looking for a sandalwood scent and based on what people were saying I just got it. Not a good move on my part. Didn't smell anything like sandalwood to my untrained nose, more like a hospital room.
And hands down the worst performing soap for me that I've tried to date.

Razorock soaps were attractive due to their sale prices. I have yet to enjoy their texture or be impressed with their scents. They are ok/average at best and can not appreciate why others give them such high regards. I only use an older WTP soap as a travel soap because of its convenient travel form factor/size.
Fwiw, I use the older line of wtp too. I agree on its portability. Small, low profile container. It's dries in seconds. Triple milled, so you have enough soap in one puck for a lifetime of vacation shaves.

I think it's a pretty good soap, too. I really like the blue barbershop scent.

I bought the RX. A beautiful razor that had great reviews on the forums. I never never ever got a good shave from it. Biggest waste of money. Stuck it in a drawer for a couple of years.
Redemption came when I sold it to pay for the Vector. All worked out in the end.

I’ve really only been snakebitten once....Captain Fawcett’s Luxury Shave Soap had an absolutely phenomenal scent (exactly as the description advertised), but could lather worth a damn. I dutifully finished it, but I wasn’t sad to see it go.

So far it has only been one brand. I ordered the Vikings Revolution sample pack. When I grew out my beard I used their beard shampoo and beard conditioner and I loved it. Their sample pack had a cedar, sage, sandalwood, and bay rum so I thought it was right up my alley. I used all 4 of them and they didn't smell horrible, but they smelled like chemicals. The worst part was the allergic reaction I had with all of them.

WSP Sandalwood

After smelling it. I put the lid back on and traded it off.

It scared me away from sandalwood for years.

Yeah, I heard about that stuff. Isn't it made by @Shavin’ Yeti ?

Just Kidding.
Just found this thread again and it is bringing back memories when I first joined and found out there was a company with a similar name to my forum name. At that time I was going to change my forum name because of all the negative vibes about Yeti Snot and such, but never got around to doing it.

My current house had aluminum wiring, flooding problems, and a neighbor from hades. I’ve got most all of them fixed. I found a little bit more aluminum when I was cleaning up from the last flood. My Mother insisted this was the house to buy.

The only soap I can remember truly regretting was Green Mountain Balsam Spice. I was perusing Merz in Chicago (this was before they set up Q Brothers) and one of the sales associates recommended it. It was fairly early on in my wet shaving career, but I was never able to get a serviceable lather from it and still stands as only 1 of 2 soaps I've ever relegated to the shower, with the other being the blue Wilkie soap bowl. That one was like $2 so no where near as regrettable.

229875-DEFAULT-L_900x.jpg

I know I’m going to piss a lot of you all off, but........several CBL soaps were no bueno for me in the olfactory department.

Performance was ok, there was an unpleasant whiff for three of the scents I’d purchased. I really gave it a shot.

I will say the Fusion is very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I’m going to piss a lot of you all off, but........several CBL soaps were no bueno for me in the olfactory department.
No one can fault you for not liking a soap's scent. There are lots of soaps I buy, and use once, or not at all because I don't like the scent.

The only soap I can remember truly regretting was Green Mountain Balsam Spice. I was perusing Merz in Chicago (this was before they set up Q Brothers) and one of the sales associates recommended it. It was fairly early on in my wet shaving career, but I was never able to get a serviceable lather from it and still stands as only 1 of 2 soaps I've ever relegated to the shower, with the other being the blue Wilkie soap bowl. That one was like $2 so no where near as regrettable.

229875-DEFAULT-L_900x.jpg

Agreed on GMS. Had the same scent and while it smells decent I couldn't get a stable lather no matter what tricks used, grated, bloomed, synthetic brush, longer loading, less/more water, etc. Was able to get a better lather from modern Williams but not by much. Green Mountain is one of only a few soaps I was unable to lather (C&E Indian Sandalwood, Badger Soap, Williams, Erasmic Stick, and perhaps a few others that escape the mind) with all the options these days there is NO excuse for dissipating lather.

Back