The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Most regretted blind buy?

elmerPHuD

Shave Member
For me it is PAA's Doppelgänger of Penhaligon's Sartorial. I bought the CK6 soap, the splash, and the Star Jelly. It smells nothing like Sartorial. Which clearly was a universal consensus as it was quickly discontinued. It does have a really nice sent though, but I am probably going to post it in the buy-sell-trade.

Declaration Grooming Sni Mato. Easy one. I've had so much luck and it ran out last year with that purchase.

Worst for me was just because of something I picked up scent wise that others didn't so not a strike on the soap. Was looking for another coffee scent and got Stirling Vanilla Bean Espresso but to my nose it was rancid. Traded it to an insistent member elsewhere who on getting said it was just like the one he had and smelled awesome. Shows how sensitive and different scents can be to different people.

Nope. It's sitting under my sink. Maybe my nose will start loving it, or so I keep telling myself.
We may have to do a swap. I love all of Declaration Grooming x Chatillion Lux collabs. But I have not smelled that one. Isn't that the one they did for Valentine's Day or something?

Worst for me was just because of something I picked up scent wise that others didn't so not a strike on the soap. Was looking for another coffee scent and got Stirling Vanilla Bean Espresso but to my nose it was rancid. Traded it to an insistent member elsewhere who on getting said it was just like the one he had and smelled awesome. Shows how sensitive and different scents can be to different people.
Scent certainly is a personal thing. What is your fav coffee scent?

We may have to do a swap. I love all of Declaration Grooming x Chatillion Lux collabs. But I have not smelled that one. Isn't that the one they did for Valentine's Day or something?
That's the one. I'm down for a swap. I have the soap and splash set, only used once because reasons.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Traditional Luxury Shaving Soap (57g size). I don’t remember the scent but it was the only soap I have ever been unable to lather. Ultimately I used it in the shower.

On the plus side, I still have the container and use it for my travel kit. It has held Tabac stick slices formed to a puck and MWF remnants pressed to a small puck.

Goodness, I have a lot of them... I'm quite finicky. Lol.

My most recent was Black Ship Grooming Classic. I got a moldy smell when I lathered a tiny dollop. Mold is not in my spectrum of like scents.

I've actually had no luck with their soaps at all. Captains pipe was eeh, Classic was Moldy, and Christmas Cannon really didn't do it for me. Probably time for me to stop looking at their soaps?

For me it was Unicorn farts. SOTG soaps just don’t lather well with my water, which has a healthy dose of lime (mineral) in it. I bought it as a novelty anyway.

Back