The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

McVeyMac's Straight Razor (and other traditional wet shaving) Adventures

A full week of growth mowed down?! Oh that must have been totally satisfying!

Good stuff Walt!

JNATs, Kami...there's some motivation indeed. Do we see another shaving soap on the horizon now?
1f60e.png

A couple of days since I stopped by. Yesterday was colonoscopy day for me, and of course the evening before was prep night. For all of you younger guys around here, colonoscopies and digital prostate exams are exactly as advertised. According to the doc, he found a small polyp and removed it. Will not know anything until the histopathology results are back. Hopefully nothing there as I would like to stay on the 5 year cycle. The first colonoscopy I got was in 2008 when I was 51. Two large polyps removed, and both were indicative of cancer. They removed a foot of the sigmoid colon. Luckily, the two polyp sites on the removed colon showed no signs of cancer, so the polypectomy got it all, and the foot of sigmoid colon was just for good measure. I was on a yearly schedule after the surgery for two years, both clean, then expanded to three years which was clean, and this is the first one at five years. Naturally, I do get a little apprehensive going into these things. But, I had a great shave off of the 6/8" BRW yesterday.

Today was the 7/8" Barber's Notch BRW for a quick two pass with a cleanup. Great comfortable BBS shave. I have come to am epiphany of sorts. Those following along know that I have incorporated maintenance honing into my daily routine, and there is no doubt in my mind that this practice has been effective at keeping my razors firing on all cylinders for extended periods of time. However, it does add to the time required to get through my morning routine. Now that I have incorporated some other fitness and diet lifestyle changes into my life, I am noticing that I am shaving more frequently with the ATT SE2 instead of the straight razor due to not having enough time to finish the maintenance steps I have incorporated. I have decided to forego the maintenance, and hone razors on the weekend if I need to freshen them up a bit. This approach will allow me to get more straight razor shaves in during the week with my new schedule.

JNATs, Kami...there's some motivation indeed. Do we see another shaving soap on the horizon now?
1f60e.png

The current lot of MVM is a good soap, but I would not classify it as a great soap, yet. I think that the base formulation does require a little tweaking, and I still may not have the process completely optimized for performance. So I have a little tinkering to do yet. I do have a fragrance that I formulated specifically with you in mind though Chris, and when I do send it to you, I am not going to divulge any details as to the scent. It will be up to you to figure it out.

Good stuff Walt. Glad you did the colonoscopy. That simple procedure saves lives!

....I do have a fragrance that I formulated specifically with you in mind though Chris, and when I do send it to you, I am not going to divulge any details as to the scent. It will be up to you to figure it out.

You have my full attention, Walt!
1f60e.png

I was inspired enough by my Kami that I bought a beater to work on and learn. They are a stinking bear to reset the bevel on when bottletopped! I’m glad your procedure came back clean. I’m due, but haven’t made the appointment yet.

Nice update Walt! good to see you in good health. And glad to see how you were able to alter the routine to make the straights fit into the schedule.

What a great update Walt! And I am hoping and praying for happy results! My insurance won't pay for those procedures until I come of age, but I keep getting blood tests that scan for the various cancers and am hoping the low carb diet helps with any cells that I might have that are trying to grow. Cancer is nothing to ignore and as soon as I'm able to...I plan on saying, "lights, camera, action!"

I was inspired enough by my Kami that I bought a beater to work on and learn. They are a stinking bear to reset the bevel on when bottletopped! I’m glad your procedure came back clean. I’m due, but haven’t made the appointment yet.

Definitely an interesting way to shave Rich, but I have gotten some exceptional shaves from the Kamisori.

Nice update Walt! good to see you in good health. And glad to see how you were able to alter the routine to make the straights fit into the schedule.

Thanks Tom, see what you have to look forward to.

What a great update Walt! And I am hoping and praying for happy results! My insurance won't pay for those procedures until I come of age, but I keep getting blood tests that scan for the various cancers and am hoping the low carb diet helps with any cells that I might have that are trying to grow. Cancer is nothing to ignore and as soon as I'm able to...I plan on saying, "lights, camera, action!"

Definately stay on top of it Don. I procrastinated one year when I came of age, and it turned out to be an eventful year. Had I not done it when I did, I might not be here now.

Back