The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

McVeyMac's Straight Razor (and other traditional wet shaving) Adventures

My deepest apologies to all for my intermittent absences here. The past few weeks have been quite busy to the point of life changing. Life changing events, both good and bad, have been flowing freely to me here in Happy Valley. First, the colonoscopy results are back, and I am still on the 5 year plan. So that is all good. Second, I have a new baby granddaughter that was born on Sept. 24. Amy and I took care of the boys until everyone got home and settled. My son and daughter in law did not want to know the sex of this one, so they were both very surprised to have a girl. They were convinced that they would have 3 boys.

Lastly, the huge push that I put in back in the spring getting proposals submitted has resulted in a pretty high rejection rate. This is not surprising as some of the proposals were a bit of a reach, but the unit I helped to build and am in has a pretty significant budget crunch because the people we hired to run it are pretty expensive individuals. This working strictly on soft money (I've done this for over 14 years) makes job security tenuous if you don't have projects to charge your salary to. So I fear the writing may be on the wall regarding my continuing to work for the organization that was originally my idea, and one that I spent three years developing (with help of course). So looking at the possibility of having to re-invent myself yet again, I pray that I have the time to really discern what that is now that I am in the late autumn of my career.

Regarding the keto diet and the exercise, that is all still going very well. I am down approximately 30 ish pounds, I lift every other morning still, and have been cycling on the off days. My workouts are in the morning which means I get up very early. My FitBit has been telling me lately that I suck at sleeping, so I figure I might as well work out. I have exhausted all of my slimmer fitting 40" trousers, and have ordered some 38", so everything is still heading in the right direction on the weight loss front. I still have a long way to go (approximately 40 more pounds), but I am astounded at how much better I feel and how it has improved my life. More to come soon.

Walt first CONGRATS on the granddaughter! I love having a daughter she really keeps me on my toes and she is only 18 months. But there sure is a special bond between a dad and a daughter. Plus a grandpa and a granddaughter.

Hope work stuff all works out well for you. And the KETO stuff that is awesome KEEP IT UP!

That IS a lot of stuff going on. Congratulations on all the good stuff and I hope you end up in a good place.

Always great to hear from you, Walt. And it's indeed wonderful news about your granddaughter, and your health!

....So looking at the possibility of having to re-invent myself yet again, I pray that I have the time to really discern what that is now that I am in the late autumn of my career....
I feel for you on this front, however. I'm sure the stress meter is pegged out. But good on you for working out! "They" say that exercise is a great way to reduce stress and keep the blues at bay; I have found that to be true for me. Perhaps more soap making would also help - nudge, nudge.
1f609.png

Well Walt, I don't know all that much about you but what i do know about you is that you are quite intelligent and very organized. I have no doubt if the need to reinvent Mr. MacVeyMac presents itself you will come up with an excellent new you. I am very happy you have been successful in your diet and workout regime.

WOW that is a lot to digest! First of all congrats! And good luck with the career stuff. Always complicated.

Congrats on all the good thing especially the weight loss, I am down almost 65 lbs myself. As to the reinvention it is a blast to do as I am no spring clucker either. That barbershop you spoke of may be the ticket, Nice to see you posting Walt

So excellent to hear from you Walt! Glad to hear you are in good health and of the family. Sorry to hear about the instability of your employment picture. Perhaps, as Dave says, Walt’s shave-o-Rama may be a thing. ?

Walt...I know you likely won't see it exactly as I do...but I see a lot of positives in your post. First of all...Congratulations on the new addition! I am sure that baby girl will be plenty spoiled! Very happy about your weight loss! 30 pounds is nothing to turn your nose up to! Place the extra benefits from the ketogenic diet is like a boost to your metabolism!

As far as work goes...I know things will work out and I see this as an opportunity for you to become something more! It will all work itself out and I am confident in your abilities. Just seize the opportunities as you find them!

Walt first CONGRATS on the granddaughter! I love having a daughter she really keeps me on my toes and she is only 18 months. But there sure is a special bond between a dad and a daughter. Plus a grandpa and a granddaughter.

Hope work stuff all works out well for you. And the KETO stuff that is awesome KEEP IT UP!

Thanks much for the well wishes Chad. I think granddaughters are as much fun as daughters are. Spent last evening playing with Rose, great fun. At 3 months her personality is starting to come through.
That IS a lot of stuff going on. Congratulations on all the good stuff and I hope you end up in a good place.

Thanks Dave
Prayers of hope and praises for all you have going on brother.

That means more to me than you know TJ
Always great to hear from you, Walt. And it's indeed wonderful news about your granddaughter, and your health!
I feel for you on this front, however. I'm sure the stress meter is pegged out. But good on you for working out! "They" say that exercise is a great way to reduce stress and keep the blues at bay; I have found that to be true for me. Perhaps more soap making would also help - nudge, nudge.

My gym and my laboratory are in the same room, the basement. So I am frequently reminded that I need to make more soap. I will get to it some rainy weekend soon. Thanks for the encouragement Chris.

Well Walt, I don't know all that much about you but what i do know about you is that you are quite intelligent and very organized. I have no doubt if the need to reinvent Mr. MacVeyMac presents itself you will come up with an excellent new you. I am very happy you have been successful in your diet and workout regime.

Thanks Chris, I have always wanted a job that never felt like work when engaged in it, and in many ways, the last 14 years here has been the closest thing to that ideal that I have ever known. However, that has not been true for the past year. This is a time of opportunity with a risk of complete demise (career wise). I thank you for your vote of confidence.
WOW that is a lot to digest! First of all congrats! And good luck with the career stuff. Always complicated.

Thanks Tom, complicated indeed.
Congrats on all the good thing especially the weight loss, I am down almost 65 lbs myself. As to the reinvention it is a blast to do as I am no spring clucker either. That barbershop you spoke of may be the ticket, Nice to see you posting Walt

Thanks Dave. Belive me when I tell you that I am considering all options. But the barber shop comes with the biggest risk for many reasons. I have to discern if my passion for it exceeds the risk.
So excellent to hear from you Walt! Glad to hear you are in good health and of the family. Sorry to hear about the instability of your employment picture. Perhaps, as Dave says, Walt’s shave-o-Rama may be a thing.
1f600.png

Thanks Rich, the thought of it scares the crap out of me. Guess it deserves serious attention
1f603.png

Walt...I know you likely won't see it exactly as I do...but I see a lot of positives in your post. First of all...Congratulations on the new addition! I am sure that baby girl will be plenty spoiled! Very happy about your weight loss! 30 pounds is nothing to turn your nose up to! Place the extra benefits from the ketogenic diet is like a boost to your metabolism!

As far as work goes...I know things will work out and I see this as an opportunity for you to become something more! It will all work itself out and I am confident in your abilities. Just seize the opportunities as you find them!

Thanks Don, I clearly see the opportunity. And that really is liberating at this time in my life.

My gym and my laboratory are in the same room, the basement. So I am frequently reminded that I need to make more soap. I will get to it some rainy weekend soon. Thanks for the encouragement Chris.

Holy Cow! I have seen some gyms that you have to pay for not have as much as you do! Love your set up! I wish I had the room!

Holy Cow! I have seen some gyms that you have to pay for not have as much as you do! Love your set up! I wish I had the room!

Walt is starting a new exercise trend...Shave Fitness! I guess a soap maker has to keep busy doing something while the batches are cooking and aging!

Walt I was a bit behind, but caught up now. Lots of exciting things going on in your life.

Last month I just passed the big 50 and we are a single income household. That wasn’t by choice, but it is what it is. For me personally, my employment is always lingering at the back of my mind. I work at an oil company (don’t hate me) and it has been rather shaky the last 5 years. Whatever comes your way will put you where you need to be. Will be praying for you.

Many congratulations on some of the recent events, Walt. Excellent news on the new addition to the family and the continued weight loss and increased fitness goals being met.

Gents,

Wanted to do a quick post to let everyone know I'm alive and well. I am of a singular focus to fix some professional problems since September, and I have a way to go before things are stabilized. Hope to be able to join back into forums and the banter soon.

Back