The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

That’s quite a contrast to the country band!

Hope everyone’s having a great weekend!

RazoWeek Day 6 12/14/19

RazoRock Preshave Cube - Charcoal &Lime
RazoRock “Unlabeled” Soap
West Coast Shaving Tortoiseshell Collection Brush
Merkur Futur (setting - 4.5)
Alum
Brut ASB

Good morning everyone! Hope everyone had a great weekend! 🙂

Today is Day 1 of "Barbershop Week"!

One of the main things that comes to my mind when thinking of "Barbeshop" scents is Bay Rum! When I first started down the Traditional Wet Shaving road, Bay Bum was what I started off with. Back then (around 2005) Burt's Bees came out with a bay rum scented shave soap that smelled incredible but performed terribly (looking back I can't say for sure if it was because of the soap or my still-developing wet shaving skills). I still used the balm until it was eventually discontinued. I also tried a bay rum soap from Classic Shaving that had better performance but was lacking in scent. I like to be "engulfed" in the scent of the soap/cream I'm shaving with and I get really disappointed when the soap/cream is on the anemic side. That is not the case with today's soap! PAA's Atomic Age Bay Rum is one of the best-smelling, best performing soaps I've used. If you're a fan of Bay Rum, give this one a try!!

Barbershop Week Day 1

IMG-2559a.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Cube - Charcoal & Lime
PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" Shave Soap
Stirling Soap Co. High Mountain White Badger Brush
Merkur Futur (setting - 4)
Personna Med Prep Blade
Alum
PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" Splash

Dior Bois D'Argent EdT

AA Bay Rum for the win! That’s the Bay Rum I keep in rotation also. Can’t beat the strength and longevity either.

Surprise twist! Never would have thought of bay rum as a barbershop scent! Nice shave Mark!

Barbershop Week - Day 2

I remember my first time smelling Pinaud Clubman aftershave. I was instantly five years old again, sitting on the booster seat in the chair at the local barbershop. I remembered the sounds of clippers buzzing and scissors clicking. I remembered the smell of coffee and cigarette smoke (if you’re of a certain age you’ll remember when things like that were still acceptable). I remembered the grown ups talking and reading the paper. I remembered the old posters on the walls displaying various hairstyles that were popular 15 ~ 20 years before I began getting my hair cut there. Pinaud Clubman is a time machine in a bottle. How can you NOT love the stuff??!?!

Hope everyone has a great day!

IMG-2566a.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Cube – Charcoal & Lime
PAA “Clubguy” Shave Soap
Stirling Soap Co. High Mountain White Badger Brush
Merkur Futur (Setting – 4)
Personna Med Prep Blade
Alum
Pinaud Clubman Aftershave

Good memory shave for you. I can't get into the barber shop stuff myself.

Back