The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

I don’t mind furniture shopping. But I hate seeing the prices. Seriously, that much for something without motor or complicated electronics?

23 February, 2020

IMG-2949.jpg

PAA "The Cube 2.0" w/ Menthol
Stirling Soap Co. "Royal" Shave Soap
Techichi Hive Tuxedo Synthetic Brush
PAA Travel Scuttle
1970 Gillette Super Adjustable
Gillette Silver Blue Blade
Alum
PAA Unscented Star Jelly

Mennen Skin Bracer Splash

24 February, 2020

Good morning all! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

IMG-2950.jpg

PAA "Coconut Bay w/ Lime" Shave Soap
Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic Brush
Stirling Soap Co. Travel Bowl
Alum
PAA Unscented Star Jelly

PAA "Coconut Bay w/ Lime" Splash

Looks like someone is ready for summer
So ready!!!! It's raining here again today! I'm starting to grow gills!!

Saw on the local news this morning that since the start of "meteorological" winter (December 1st), we're over our typical rain amounts by 10"!!!

It was a little chilly here this morning and I had to wear a jacket.
That'll be here Wednesday...

Gloomy & Rain today... Sunny & close to 60° tomorrow... 28° Wednesday morning with a "wintry mix" possible..

Welcome to Alabama! Don't like the weather? Wait a day.. 😐

25 February, 2020

Good morning Cadre!

New soap day. The Barrister Reserve "Spice" arrived yesterday. Used it this morning and I liked the results. Easy to produce a nice, slick lather and gave a smooth, comfortable three-pass shave. The fragrance is very nice! Classic Old Spice! Perfect match for the Indian Old Spice splash.

Hope everyone has a great day!

IMG-2961.jpg

B&M "Barrister Reserve - Spice" Shave Soap
Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic Brush
Stirling Soap Co. Travel Bowl
Alum
PAA Unscented Star Jelly

Old Spice Original Splash (Indian)

Last edited:
26 February, 2020

Good morning all. Not feeling great today. Back is killing me. Woke up several times last night and finally had to just get up and sit in my recliner because simply laying there was excruciating. However I was able to stand up long enough to get a shower and shave. Just thankful that when we had our bathroom redone several years ago I had them put in a bench. Need to call and get a round of injections in my back. Alternating heat and cold on it now. Hope I can get in soon.

IMG-2965.jpg

RazoRock "Black Bay" Shaving Cream Soap
Techichi "The Hive' Tuxedo Synthetic
PAA Travel Scuttle
1968 Gillette Slim Adjustable
Gillette 7 O'clock Black
Alum
PAA Unscented Star Jelly

RazoRock "Black Bay" Splash

Last edited:
Ey ye ye, back stuff sucks. The pain always seems out of proportion to the injury, or lack there of.

I dig the labels on those.

27 February, 2020

Good morning Cadre!

First on the docket, you know it, you love it! MarkB's daily weather report and ensuing complaints... It's a beautiful sunny day here! ☀ However, it's winter time again. 🥶 The temp when I got up this morning was 27° with a brisk wind out of northwest. Gonna be like this for the next few days with temps getting up near 70° next week with storms... 😒

Go home Mother Nature... You're drunk!!! 😠

"New" day in the shave den today. Went with the GTB soap & splash today and also used the new Baby Yaqi brush (see pic below. Ain't it cute! 😁). Not the best shave ever but I was able to salvage it into a DFS with minimal discomfort. Probably not the best idea to try out a new brush with a new soap. Too many variables. What I should have done was paired the GTB soap with the 28mm Yaqi & the Stirling bowl and tried the new brush at a later date with a soap I'm familiar with. Because of this I'll refrain from posting any critical thoughts on these new items until I've gotten what I consider acceptable performances with each.

What I will comment on is the fragrance of the GTB soap.

NOT what I was expecting!

Surprisingly delicate fragrance for something with a name like "Ghost Town Barber" and sporting such a rugged, manly-looking label! Not that it smelled bad. It smelled great in fact. As I said, just not what I was expecting. Again, it's fascinating at the difference the term "Barbershop Scent" means to different people.

IMG-2967.jpg

Chiseled Face "Ghost Town Barber" Shave Soap
Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo Synthetic Brush
PAA Travel Scuttle
1968 Gillette Slim Adjustable
Gillette 7 O'clock Black
Alum
PAA Unscented Star Jelly

Chiseled Face "Ghost Town Barber" Splash

Again, it's fascinating at the difference the term "Barbershop Scent" means to different people.
Isn't it, though? I've been using the splash for a couple of weeks and love it. It's quite different from other "Barbershop" splashes I've used.

Back