The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6C, plate 4
  • Blade: Feather, brand spankin' new
  • Brush: Local Gent Shaving Co "I forgot what it's called because I didn't care when I bought it," Maggard 24mm 50/50 boar/badger
  • Soap: Barrister and Mann Lavanille
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original (not pictured), Barrister and Mann Lavanille
  • Music: Coheed and Cambria In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3
This stands as my first shave journal entry, which was suggested by the first Dave (I think he's the first one???).

I have a brief introduction I'm the newbie section a few hours after I joined, but I'll just add a couple of more details before I get into what I'm here for.

I'm originally from the Rio Grande Valley, TX, and spent the first 26ish years of my life there before I decided that the job market sucked for what I do. I'm the son of a well-known paramedic, which spurred my entry into EMS. I currently hold the certification of EMT-I, but I'm reaching the last parts of paramedic school. I skipped over the part about moving to Houston; I do that from time to time. Back to EMS. I genuinely care about the community that I serve, although I wish they'd take their hypertension medication and stop calling about it at 2am.

Today's shave was inspired by my mom's dad. My mom's parents were immigrants, we're not super sure if they were initially legal or not, but it doesn't matter. They came over from a village in West Mexico with my eldest uncle for a better life. They proceeded to bust their tails for the rest of their lives. My grandpa was a mechanic for decades, and had a little garage next to the house.

Somehow, Lavanille reminds me of my grandpa's garage. The dirty nature of it is a dead ringer for something in there, and it takes me a happy place in my childhood.

The brush represents how proud my grandpa was about being an American citizen.

So I guess this is supposed to be about actually shaving too, so I'll get to that now. Haha

I've had great experiences with the 6C so far. But I hadn't used a Feather in a very long time, and it's absolutely the first time putting one in my 6C. This combination proved to be incredible. Smooth, efficient, and provided a damn good shave. No nicks, but the slight irritation trend continues. I'll attribute that to lack of concentration, not so much the tools.

I made it to work on time to find that one person is scheduled off and another called off. This means that I'm the highest certification on the box today. (I'm in charge) It's not a new thing by any stretch and I welcome the first hand learning experience, but I prefer to learn with a paramedic with me. Whatever. It's going to be a great day.

Sorry for the wall of text, they won't all be this long.

Thanks for reading, and have yourselves great shaves and the best day that circumstances will allow.

View attachment 2670
Great shave and avatar.

Oh man, I guess with every good event comes some bad, so sorry about your mate. These things are never easy, and never truly go away.

Glad to see I'm not the only one slacking on showing up in these parts. Hope you are doing well!
Likewise, Shawn. I have a lot of catching up to do!

Ben! Great to see ya pop in! Hope all is well.
There was a disturbance in the force and figured the Cadre needed an adult. I am not that adult. :p:ROFLMAO:

There's a picture of me holding a child that's not mine that you have access to that proves I've shaved at least once since my last post. :ROFLMAO:

Hey stranger! Good to see you posting!
Tim! I see you've taken up fishing. I hear Fork is the spot to be these days for freshwater.

Great to see you here. Notice your seat at the table is still open.
The table has gotten a little larger, I see. And I suspect that one of you has passed a little gas. Wait, that's the Clubman Lilac Vegetal I put on this morning. :ROFLMAO:

Alright fellas, quick rundown of life since my last post.

I now have 4 cats. I might possibly be the crazy cat dude, and I fully realize that statement might change my title when @BarberDave sees this.

The house is still standing despite me taking on electrical projects, although they're fairly minor.

Venessa still drives me crazy, but I drive her crazy too. Everybody in my family is fairly healthy and prospering. One of my uncles recently passed, it kinda sucks, but we weren't too close. I'll definitely miss his goofy laugh, though.

I left my fire department and ended up going full time at my part time EMS job. Lots less stress, until I inevitably get promoted.

With regards to shaving, I've almost entirely stopped buying new stuff. 3017ing has kinda been my thing recently. I've killed a couple of tubs including something from Noble Otter, I genuinely don't remember which one, and The Holy Black something or other. I bought Venessa a Karve razor last month and she's been enjoying it, and she has access to the soaps under my sink. The FOMO part of my life is pretty much gone. If it does come back, it's usually related to gun parts for stuff that isn't made anymore, which is actually a lot more expensive. I never said there was solid logic behind it.

I think that covers most of the major points. I think I'll get back to posting again, I'm not sure why I stopped to be honest.

Thanks for reading, and have yourselves great shaves and the best day that circumstances will allow.

P.S. Stay hydrated, @GearNoir!

Sounds like life is good, brother! Glad you’re back!

Was looking through pics on my phone the other day and stumbled across the one of us when you were in North Texas. You have been on my mind.

Alright fellas, quick rundown of life since my last post.

I now have 4 cats. I might possibly be the crazy cat dude, and I fully realize that statement might change my title when @BarberDave sees this.

The house is still standing despite me taking on electrical projects, although they're fairly minor.

Venessa still drives me crazy, but I drive her crazy too. Everybody in my family is fairly healthy and prospering. One of my uncles recently passed, it kinda sucks, but we weren't too close. I'll definitely miss his goofy laugh, though.

I left my fire department and ended up going full time at my part time EMS job. Lots less stress, until I inevitably get promoted.

With regards to shaving, I've almost entirely stopped buying new stuff. 3017ing has kinda been my thing recently. I've killed a couple of tubs including something from Noble Otter, I genuinely don't remember which one, and The Holy Black something or other. I bought Venessa a Karve razor last month and she's been enjoying it, and she has access to the soaps under my sink. The FOMO part of my life is pretty much gone. If it does come back, it's usually related to gun parts for stuff that isn't made anymore, which is actually a lot more expensive. I never said there was solid logic behind it.

I think that covers most of the major points. I think I'll get back to posting again, I'm not sure why I stopped to be honest.

P.S. Stay hydrated, @GearNoir!
Good To see you Ben, Hope you are back with us full time soon~!

Great update! (Sans the 4 cats thing)

Congrats on the new* professional track and promotion! Glad things are going well for you overall!

• Pre-shave: Warm shower
  • Razor: Stirling razor, I think with the Dallas handle
  • Blade: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the one that was already in there
  • Brush: Paladin beehive
  • Soap: Spearhead Shaving Seaforth Sea Ice Lime
  • Aftershave: Spearhead Shaving Seaforth Sea Spice Lime
  • Frag: Bleu de Chanel
  • Music: Chris Turner - Steezy
I needed to shave for work today, so I did. Today is at the part time gig where I might fight fire, and a smooth face is a must because reasons. It's been a smooth day so far, no pun intended. I suspect I might've upset a member of the public with an opinion I have of a neighboring department. I don't think I was out of line at all, and it is my personal opinion, and one that is shared amongst more than a few of my peers. That being said, I think I'll just keep that to myself from now on; no big deal.

Pretty uneventful shave today. I've been shaving quite a bit less now that I don't fight fire full time, so I had a couple of days of growth. I got in on this razor when Stirling opened up the "Made in USA" razors that the machine shop had actually outsourced to...not the USA (at least that's what I remember what the case was, feel free to correct me if I misremembered.) I definitely appreciate that Rod and Mandy were transparent with that fact. They ultimately ground off the misrepresented phrase and put them up for sale with their transparent notice. It came with two heads, one way more aggressive than the other - I use the less aggressive one. It's a pretty efficient shaver and suits my needs perfectly. I think I have a Gillette Platinum in there? It did the trick. The cooling effect of the LE Sea Ice Lime hit the spot as the temps in SE Texas slowly rise.

Chris Turner is a seriously incredible drummer.

I've recently gotten into researching fairly simple upgrades for my truck. A couple of weeks ago installed a cold air intake, which was frustrating, but only because I was working in the rain for a little bit. A smarter person would've waited until it stopped to continue, but that's clearly not me. Up next is a throttle body spacer and oil separator. They're simple upgrades, relatively inexpensive and will in theory increase efficiency and longevity of my engine. I hope you're all doing well.

Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Great shave sir - and I agree that Stirling is fantastic because of their character. I ended up getting the hyperagressive head on mine (because that is all that was left) - but still provided a comfortable BBS shave - and I love their handle designs!

Still doing the multiple gig thing? Power to ya brother!
I've cut back to 2 jobs, from the 4 I had. I know what I was thinking, but it was super flawed logic. The part time gig is fairly easy and keeps my firefighting skills from getting too rusty.

Great shave sir - and I agree that Stirling is fantastic because of their character. I ended up getting the hyperagressive head on mine (because that is all that was left) - but still provided a comfortable BBS shave - and I love their handle designs!
Agreed. I keep going back to Stirling because of their outstanding and ethical business practices. If you'd like to try out the lesser aggressive head I'd be more than happy to send mine to you.

Back