The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Let's All 3017 for the New Year 2022... The "Something Old" edition.

Day2: I did soak this overnight for about 15 hours. Results improved. The puck was obviously super moist and loaded heavy. Lather was creamier but not what I would call 100%. Plenty slick. Should be easy to run through this.

I have also added the ViJon Spice and Bigelow red balm to the 3017. Time to burn through what is old, with both of these having hung around the den for a decade.

--Puck after 15 hour soak (water still on)--
20220102_132520.jpg

I’m a hair late to the party, but I’ve yet to have a shave in 2022. This Yardley bowl is roughly 1/3 used and the bowl without the lid weighs 152g.
image.jpg

--- Cut and Paste the list and add your name to sign up ---
Participants:
01. dkeester - WCS Gatsby soap and AS (the old Phoenix Shaving versions) - both are unused
02. Spider - Valobra Menthol
03. Milkcrate - PAA Sangre de Drago (soap and AS) used
04. OpusX - Shulton Old Spice (used, various OS style splashes)
05. Uacowboy - TOBS sandalwood hard soap in bowl. Used.
06. beginish - DR Harris Windsor soap in a bowl, partially used. Lucky Tiger AS Lotion (1/2 used)
07. woodpusher - ~1/3 tub of Lisa's Doc Holiday (AS is Nivea Protect & Care balm, in use since Nov.23)
08. DeepSea - WCS Grapefroot (used)
09. Luecke3262 - Yardley shaving soap ~ 2/3 remaining

I am going to work on my Declaration Grooming Santal Auster in the Icarus base with the matching balm. It isn't new, but had been sitting unused for a little over a year. I will update the list later, my phone isn't cooperating at the moment.

Four shaves into the WCS Gatsby and the tub weighs 136 grams. That means I am averaging 2 grams per shave, which isn't bad. The performance is good so far. I just need to improve my technique to get less irritation. The scent is good, but not great. I don't think it is something that I will buy again.

I tried blooming the soap today and, as expected, it was easy to load. I made sure to use lots of water and made more of a straight razor lather. It was very slick, however. It went well with the Game Changer .68 and Parker blade.

I expect my usage per gram will go up as the soap absorbs more water.

Not doing so well with 3017ing Yardley... I was a little sick earlier this week and have been busy with work. I had my first shave of the year yesterday evening, with 6 days of growth. Used a George Butler 5/8 thumb notch, Sorentino synthetic, aforesaid soap, and Chatillon Lux lavender aftershave and salve.

One week status check and weigh in. Strictly by the math I "gained" soap. What obviously happened here is this soap was mega dry and soaked up a bunch of water. Based on the big hole forming in the bottom I have confidence this will get used up.

20220108_110911.jpg

A few shaves left on the partial puck of Lisa's Doc Holiday I started on Dec.21. I turned it into goopy soupy this morning to eliminate the need to chase little bits around the container, and it should be done by Friday (I think).

Back