The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

So happy to hear that your son is getting better all the time!

And it's those small acts of kindness that really make a difference in the lives of people! I am so happy that a little cleaning of your friend's vehicle made her happy...even if it was for a time!
Thanks. Me, too. I was so happy when I saw her on Friday. Also, she told me on Saturday that my hard work on her car inspired her to do a bunch of chores around her home that she had not gotten to since her father died. She seemed really positive on Saturday.

Great update Randall! Happy to hear the boy is back to work, with quite substantial pay upgrade as well, nice! Good job giving your friend’s car the old spit shine and her a lighter heart!
Thanks, Chris. I was still sore when I was conducting the choir yesterday, but it was well worth it.

Very nice read. As it seems things are starting to get back to normal
Thanks, Chris.

CCXIV today.

Lathered up the mystery beta-testing soap and used the Japanese shorty this morning, with clean-up accomplished by a post-war Tech on a UFO Titan Fine L handle.

The soap is just like I originally thought it was, which is amazing to me. It's too rich. Yep. I said it. I've always been a fan of rich, unctuous, shiny, sour-cream-like lathers, so I thought it would be impossible to make a shave lather that was too much of any of those qualities. But this one is. At least for me.

It gets so thick during bowl lathering that it almost is a work-out to whip it into shape. It's really too thick and too adherent on the face for a straight razor shave, and it takes a while for the lather to rinse off the blade.

The lather LOOKS amazing. If I were to take pictures and post them, all of you would want to buy it immediately. And, to be fair, a lot of you would probably absolutely LOVE this soap, especially if you DE or SE shave rather than using a straight. I think it will do well in the marketplace, although I told the maker my minor issues with it.

And oh, full disclosure, it's a new formula by Siliski soaps. I've never tried the old formula. I know the old one is non-tallow. I don't know whether this one is or not. It feels like a tallow-first soap, with a fair bit of glycerin and a fair bit of castor oil. I'm absolutely positive that it's loaded with butters (kokum butter, cocoa butter, maybe shea butter) and I suspect it has a relatively high superfat content. I guess it's possible it's all vegan. If so, I'm guessing the butters are the first two or three ingredients on the list. It's a nice soap, it's just not for me.

Anyway, two passes with the shorty, one with the Tech got me to CCS. I had some irritation around the Adam's apple. Although when I was first learning to shave with a straight razor I thought a shorter blade would be much easier, now that I learned on a full-length blade the shorty causes me some problems in the neck area.

I hope you all have a great day.

Good news with both your son and friend.

And nice to read your impressions of the mystery soap.

Uh oh, don’t show NurseDave, Siliski’s newest fanboy, that you’ve been testing a new soap base! He might get jelly! ?

A soap that’s too cushiony, that’s a new one on me! I can see how that would cause annoyance and issue though.

Good news with both your son and friend.

And nice to read your impressions of the mystery soap.
Thanks, Chris!

Uh oh, don’t show NurseDave, Siliski’s newest fanboy, that you’ve been testing a new soap base! He might get jelly!
1f602.png

A soap that’s too cushiony, that’s a new one on me! I can see how that would cause annoyance and issue though.
I hear you. And after going back to Soapy Science, I still say the experimental Siliski formula is too thick (it takes forever to rinse it off the blade!).

CCXV this morning.

Back to old favorites: Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus and my OS (not old spice but "original straight"), the Noonan. I ended up doing three passes on the cheeks, two on the neck. Cleaned up with a post-war Tech loaded with a Polsilver. Overall, a good shave. CCS without any problems. Aftershave was Myrsol F./Extra. Nice juice.

On the home front, I went with my wife to Bohemian Rhapsody last night. It was pretty good. I don't get out to the movies much, so it was kind of nice to get out of the house in the evening for once.

Also, I am wearing braces (the clear kind, like Invisalign) starting today. I will be wearing them for the next six months at all times except when eating or brushing my teeth. It's a bit weird, but it had to be done. I had braces as a kid but lost my retainer when I was about 20. Since then the lower teeth have become increasing crooked and crowded. You can't see them much, so I didn't really care, but lately they have moved into a position that causes pain in the mornings if I grind or clench the teeth at all during the night. The dentist wanted to just buzz the one badly positioned tooth to make it shorter, but I thought it made more sense to straighten them instead, so I pressed on with Smile Direct and the aligners came in the mail yesterday. It's not as bad (so far) as I thought it would be; I think I'll get used to them pretty quickly.

Have a great day, y'all!

I still say the experimental Siliski formula is too thick (it takes forever to rinse it off the blade!).

I know what you mean about a soap being too thick. The reason you mentioned above is the reason I dislike using Arko.

Uh oh, don’t show NurseDave, Siliski’s newest fanboy, that you’ve been testing a new soap base! He might get jelly!
1f602.png

I am, I am!!!!

Got caught up. It was fun to read about you cleaning your friends car and the positive impact it had past the act itself.

I am, I am!!!!

Got caught up. It was fun to read about you cleaning your friends car and the positive impact it had past the act itself.
Yeah, thanks. It astounded me, too, how much positive effect that car cleaning had. Here's what she texted me the next day:

"What is resonating today is how gifts keep giving. I keep thinking of what you did for me yesterday and how much work that was. For me today that has translated to following your example in persevering through tough times and continuing on and getting things in order. Your work encouraged me to clean up some of the piles that have grown and taken over my apartment the last 4 weeks. I cleaned, did laundry, finally emptied the dishwasher and thus cleaned out the sink, brushed the dogs, and swept. You reminded me to respect the things that I have been given and to take care of them and in that take care of myself. Such an unexpected gift within a gift."

This floored me. You just never know how much good even a simple act of service might produce in somebody's life.

CCXVI this morning.

Stirling Peach, the trusty Noonan; two passes. Nice.

For the third pass, I switched from a cheap American post-war Tech to the vaunted and elusive British Hybrid Tech, with its marvelous rhodium plating. It just feels so luxurious to shave with this razor, and it's a damn fine shaver, too.

End result was CCS, which is what I aim for every day. I used Myrsol F./Extra for my aftershave. Good start to the day.

Hope you gents are having a great day.

What a great testimonial to the effect of just one set of helping hands! One does make a difference!

So glad you got to see fruitage from your kind act. Many times we don't which is okay since that's not why we do it, but it is rewarding and encouraging when you see the effect it can have.

What a great testimonial to the effect of just one set of helping hands! One does make a difference!
So glad you got to see fruitage from your kind act. Many times we don't which is okay since that's not why we do it, but it is rewarding and encouraging when you see the effect it can have.

One DE shave, one straight razor shave, and one injector shave since my last entry.
On Thursday morning I was to get the keys to my friend's car early in the morning so I could take it and get the inspection done while she slept (she was still working night shift at the time). She got held up on the hospital because the overnight shift was really busy, but I took delivery of the car and eventually got the inspection completed. I also gassed up her car for her and replaced her rear windshield wiper blade (it was terrible weather that day; poured all day long, and I couldn't really see out the back window because the blade was disintegrating). Because I got up really early I just did one pass with my Hybrid Tech and I used Creamo. First time I've ever done that; normally when I use Creamo I use an Atra. The shave went well.

Friday morning was SR shave CCVII, for that one I used Doc's Special Blend and my trusty Noonan. Two passes to CCS, no problems.

On Friday my wife and I went on a road trip. We drove to a small town named Kinston in eastern North Carolina. I watch a show on PBS called "A Chef's Life." I don't know whether any of you have seen it. It's about a woman born and raised there who trained to be a chef and took a job in NYC for a few years and then decided to go back and open a gourmet restaurant in her small home town. It's a fascinating show and she's a real character. So my wife decided to take me there for dinner to celebrate my birthday (which is tomorrow). So we drove down there on Friday and ate there Friday evening. The next day the star of the show, as luck would have it, was making an appearance at the farmer's market there in town, so we actually got to meet her and talk with her a little bit. It was really fun.

This morning was my usual Sunday morning shave, with AoS lemon and two passes with the Hybrid Tech. I got a nice, smooth, comfortable shave today.

Well, I guess that's about all the news that's fit to print, as they say. Hope y'all had a great weekend.

Oh, I forgot. I took my Schick Repeater type C on the trip and on Saturday morning I did two passes with the Repeater using Creamo again.

Worked out pretty well. The C is an awesome little razor, and perfect for travel.

Happy birthday! Great shave and a great evening out! Pretty neat to meet someone who’s story you’ve been following.

Happy birthday! Great shave and a great evening out! Pretty neat to meet someone who’s story you’ve been following.
Yeah, it was pretty cool. We had a good time.

CCVIII this morning. Birthday shave! Went with Lollipop Citrus and the Mighty Mite (Sta-Sharp). By the way, I finally purchased the Sta-Sharp from Georgia Tech Chris after borrowing it for quite some time (thanks, Chris!). I love this little razor. It is working its way up the ladder and is right up there with my favorite.

I had a wonderful lather this morning and did two passes with the Mighty Mite and then a final pass with the Ming-Shi Futur clone set on 2.75. Very smooth shave today. A tiny bit of irritation on the left lower neck.

Last night when my son came home from working at the deli of a local grocery store he was carrying a birthday cake for me that he had decorated at the store. That was a nice surprise. I brought it to work today to share with my coworkers.

Things are really looking up for my friend. Yesterday she texted me this: "I am peaceful and joyful and focusing on the good."

Have a great day, y'all.

Today is my Twin's B-Day, so it must be the doc's B-Day too....... Happy Birthday Randall!

Happy Birthday doc!
Today is my Twin's B-Day, so it must be the doc's B-Day too....... Happy Birthday Randall!
Thanks, guys. I'm sure the day is much more important for your twins than it is for me, there can be no doubt about that. Tell them one of your internet friends wished them a happy birthday.

I did get one shave-related gift for my birthday, though, which I used for the first time this morning. Last July I found one of those iconic Rubberset metal brushes at an antique store (I think it's called the 400?). My wife sent it off to Rudy to get a nice Plissoft synthetic knot and a polishing. It's beautiful!

So for this morning's shave, I fired up Chris's demonstration soap (sort of an MdC clone) in a scent called "50 shades of vetiver." To my nose it's seems more like one shade of vetiver, but it's a good shade. I don't like smoky vetivers, and this one is not smoky. It's earthy and green and it smells really good. The scent strength is up there, about 4/5 at least. It lathered up just like you would expect an MdC clone would.

For hardware I went with my Ming-Shi Futur clone this morning, loaded with a Polsilver on its second shave. I did two passes and called it good. The lather was nice; not as rich as my Soapy Science lathers, but really good for a vegan soap, and it provided nice glide and cushion.

The Ming-Shi is a very comfortable and smooth shaver. I'm finding that I tend to prefer DE razors without a lot of blade feel, and this one has very little. It has a huge gap but small exposure, and the safety bar is rounded and blunt, feels amazingly smooth as it glides over the skin. I really like this razor (I don't know whether a real Futur would be better; maybe someday I'll get one and find out).

Oh, one last thing. I have a problem with my iKon Pils clone razor. The baseplate is obviously supposed to spin freely around the handle, which it has always done, but now the baseplate can also move up and down (like a seesaw) on the handle. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do THAT.

Does anybody have any idea how it got that way, and how to fix it? That razor is my favorite DE! Thanks in advance for any help.

I hope you all have a great day.

Back