The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

Man that Noonan has been a solid razor for you. That’s great! Hope you can find a way to get the others on par.

Open house sounds fun, hope it goes well!

Man that Noonan has been a solid razor for you. That’s great! Hope you can find a way to get the others on par.

Open house sounds fun, hope it goes well!
Yep, it's been solid.

The open house went perfectly. The food was amazing.

This morning was shave 136/173. I chose Stirling Peach and went straight to the Noonan this time. Clean-up was with my Fatboy on 5 with a fresh PolSilver blade. Haven't used the Fatboy in a long, long time.

Three passes went very smoothly over a fragrant, beautiful lather. A bit of clean-up with the Fatboy and I had a nice CCS+.

Tomorrow is my day off open blade shaving. I'm going with the Fatboy and with the AoS lemon cream.

Double-duty at church again: playing the organ in the main meeting, and teaching Sunday School (this week's lesson is about Solomon). Should be a lot of fun.

Hope you had a great day!

Great couple of shaves and read Randall!

Glad to hear the open house went well!
Thanks, Craig.

This morning was my day off open blades. I used the Fatboy at 6 for the first pass, loaded with a Polsilver on its second shave. I lathered up the AoS Lemon and had a nice lather. Second pass I turned the Fatboy down to 5, and then turned it down to 4 for touch-up. I had a nice two-pass plus touch-up shave.

Played the organ for services today and did pretty well. Also the Sunday School lesson went well.

Getting my mind around going back to work tomorrow morning. Sigh.

Great shave Randall!

Kingfisher said:
Getting my mind around going back to work tomorrow morning. Sigh.
Yeah I know the feeling! I owe I owe so off to work I go!

Too bad we weren't born rich instead of so darn good looking!
1f60f.png
1f602.png

Great shave Randall!
Yeah I know the feeling! I owe I owe so off to work I go!

Amen, brother.

137/174 this morning. Lathered up some Stirling Peach for a fantastic start to the week. Used (what else?) the Noonan. I had three smooth passes without any problems whatsoever. Needed a bit of clean-up on the neck line and around the corners of the mouth (still working on these areas) with the Fatboy for another CCS+.

Used the citrus/mint/menthol aftershave splash that I picked up on the 4th of July (really liking this stuff).

I hope everybody has a good day!

All caught up, Randall. Good grief, sorry to hear about your son's health issues! Glad that he is on the mend.

....the spleen gets fragile....and sometimes spontaneously ruptures....

Oy! I had what turned out to be a spontaneous, partially ruptured spleen on New Years Day 2006. The worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. When I finally went to the ER, after they ruled out heart trouble, they thought maybe kidney stone. But the CT and the other test revealed the spleen rupture. Landed my in the hospital for 3 days. The long and short, no surgery. The doc said that since my blood count didn't drop below a certain number, there was a good chance it would scar over and heal itself. And that's what happened. But oy!

Thanks, guys. Wow, Chris, ruptured spleen is a bummer! Glad you didn't have to have surgery.

138/175 this morning. Used Soapy Science in the Doc's Special Blend scent (still loving this stuff!).

Three passes plus a bit of Fatboy touch-up left me CCS+ and ready for the new day.

For a long time I abandoned the "chimensch-like" second pass (cross handed WTG/XTG combination), but I've brought it back and I think it works really well. I'll likely be sticking with it for a while. Or maybe I should do an experiment like I did with the shaving oil; shaving one side of my face Chimensch-style and the other with the second pass that I used to use (combination XTG/WTG but nose-to-ear and with the ipsilateral hand). Might be interesting. I'd have to do it for two consecutive days, at least, to find out which one works best, so I could use both hands for it. I'm kind of talking myself into it right now.

Anyway, I'm also developing some new-ish strokes on the neck, in an attempt to have less DE clean-up there. It has been working really well on the left side, but not as effectively on the right. I am continuously surprised that I shave better with my non-dominant hand!

Anyway, I hope everybody is having a great day. My son and his new bride made it back home late last night. When he left here yesterday he was feeling much better. Thanks for the well wishes.

I'm still experimenting with different techniques as well; maybe one day I'll figure it out.
1f60e.png

BTW, last night I ordered a tub of the Soapy Science "Rosa Pura" shaving soap. And as of the time of this post, they only have one tub remaining.

Sounds like the new strokes are working for you! Glad things are looking up for your son!

I'm still experimenting with different techniques as well; maybe one day I'll figure it out.
1f60e.png

BTW, last night I ordered a tub of the Soapy Science "Rosa Pura" shaving soap. And as of the time of this post, they only have one tub remaining.
Awesome! I think you are going to love that soap. I think they are having a hard time keeping up with the demand.

Nice shave. I am glad your son is feeling better.
Good Shave Randall!

Glad to hear your son is feeling better!
Sounds like the new strokes are working for you! Glad things are looking up for your son!
Thanks, guys. Yesterday he texted me to say that he and his new wife went to Ikea and bought a bookshelf and an ottoman. Last time I was in the apartment about 40% of the floor space was covered with books, so the bookshelf was a definite must!

139/176 today. Used Mike's in the OCBP scent. I really got a great lather this morning. Mike's consistently produces very good lathers; second and third-pass lather stability is awesome. Slickness, cushion, and post-shave are all very good.

Anyway, I used the Noonan (what else?), and today started the first day of my experiment to see whether the Chimensch pass is superior to a more normal pass that I had been doing. First pass I did the same way I always do. I checked the reduction and it was similar on both sides and consistent with what I normally get on the first pass.

The second pass above the jawline was all with the right hand today, because I did the Chimensch pass on the left side of my face and a more typical pass on the right side. (The Chimensch pass is done cross-handed.) On both sides the second pass went well. Comparing the two sides while rinsing after the second pass revealed no obvious winner. Reduction was good on both sides. For a few seconds I was convincing myself that it was slightly better on the left side, but I think I was mostly imagining a difference that wasn't really there.

Third pass went well, and, after a bit of Fatboy clean-up, I was left with a DFS-. A really great shave. No irritation whatsoever.

Tomorrow I will do the second pass above the jawline entirely with the LEFT hand, Chimensch-ing the right side, to see if there is any difference. If that also shows no measurable difference, then I will know that I can Chimensch or not Chimensch according to my whim. If there is any difference, I will try today's shave again. It's kind of fun to check out and compare different approaches.

Have a great day, gentlemen.

....Used Mike's in the OCBP scent. I really got a great lather this morning. Mike's consistently produces very good lathers....

Roger that! I used Mike's this morning as well (Barbershop).

And I'm looking forward to the en route Rosa Pura.

Roger that! I used Mike's this morning as well (Barbershop).

And I'm looking forward to the en route Rosa Pura.
Nice. Please provide a shave report once you've had a chance to use it.

Great read and shave Randall!
What is OCBP? Orange Cedar Bourbon Patchouli?
Close. Orange, Cedar, & Black Pepper.
KJ got it right. It's a really nice scent. I don't detect any black pepper in it at all, and its mostly orange, to my nose.

140/177 this morning.

Of course, I used the Noonan again. It was the 12th shave since the last CrOx refresh. Still shaving well, but beginning to tug a tiny bit in the densest spots. I'll give it a refresh pretty soon.
For lather, I went back to Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus. It lathered up great and smelled very refreshing on a hot summer morning.

Today was shave 2 in my experiment to see whether the "Chimensch pass" is or isn't more efficient than my regular second pass. Yesterday the second pass above the jaw was all right handed: cross-handed on the left side of the face. Today the second pass was all left handed: cross-handed on the right side of the face.

After two passes, I assessed the reduction. At first I thought that perhaps it was a tiny bit better on the right side, but I might have been trying to make it that way because I kind of enjoy the Chimensch pass. Ultimately, it seems that reduction is pretty much the same whether I do the second pass cross handed or not. Kind of a disappointing result in one way, but on the other hand it means I can do what I want. So if I want to continue the Chimensch pass, at least I know it won't produce a worse result.

Anyway, I did a full 3-pass shave with a tiny bit of Fatboy touch-up and ended up DFS. Really a good shave this morning.

Hope you have a great day.

Back