The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

I just looked up the Schick Injector timelines and looked at the pictures, and it turns out the injector I used this morning is known as a Type I, and was produced from 1955-1958.

wow...just catching up Randall! Yeah, sounds like Friday the 13th got ya...and in typical fashion, it comes in three's. Good recovery shave, however, yesterday!

Good to hear!
Thanks, Chris!

Good recovery shave! Enjoy your day!
And Chris!

I would blame it on Friday the 13th! Looking forward to tomorrow's shave!
Thanks, Don.

wow...just catching up Randall! Yeah, sounds like Friday the 13th got ya...and in typical fashion, it comes in three's. Good recovery shave, however, yesterday!
Thanks, Josh.

So, yesterday afternoon the weather was pretty nice and I made it out to my local course for 9 holes. I hit some amazing shots but left a few strokes out there, as they say. Had 3 pretty good looks at birdie, but missed them all; one of them agonizingly lipped out. Oh, well. On the last two holes I hit a couple of perfect 4-iron shots, which was nice. It's the longest real iron I carry in the bag (rather than a hybrid). They are generally considered harder to hit, especially by those of us who maybe losing a bit of clubhead speed to father time (sigh). But I hit both of them about 185-190 yards, which is crazy good for me, so that was satisfying.

Anyway, on to today's shave.

I decided to use the Art of Shaving Lemon cream that my son got me for Father's Day. For hardware I used the Schick Injector Type I. First time I have used this for a full shave.

There was a bit of a learning curve, as the razor seemed highly angle-dependent, but long story short, I did two passes plus a tiny bit of touch-up and was CCS+. No nicks, cuts, weepers, or irritation.

Finished it off with the citrus-menthol-mint splash I picked up on the 4th of July, and it was good. I'm loving this aftershave, too.

Hope you all have a great Sunday.

See. Feel. Trust.

Much better round than I would ever have. I’m a mini golf guy. ?

Glad the Lemon continues to work for you!

Catching up Randall!

It seems that Friday the 13th (if I'm counting correctly) wasn't too great for you either. I too had a bad shave, but mine was with all know good/great performers.

Hope the sunlight thing was short lived.

Otherwise great reads and shaves!

Good stuff Randall, and great first use of the 'Jectah!

Like reading about the golf, too. The 4 and 3-irons were always my nemisis...it's always extremely enjoyable when you catch them just right, though.

See. Feel. Trust.

Much better round than I would ever have. I’m a mini golf guy.
1f61b.png

Glad the Lemon continues to work for you!
Thanks!

Catching up Randall!

It seems that Friday the 13th (if I'm counting correctly) wasn't too great for you either. I too had a bad shave, but mine was with all know good/great performers.

Hope the sunlight thing was short lived.

Otherwise great reads and shaves!
Thanks. My eyes, thankfully, seem to be back to normal.

Good stuff Randall, and great first use of the 'Jectah!

Like reading about the golf, too. The 4 and 3-irons were always my nemisis...it's always extremely enjoyable when you catch them just right, though.
Isn't it, though?

130/167 this morning.

Stirling Peach, ZY.

Three passes on the cheeks and neck, clean-up with the injector. Ended up a CCS+, no weepers, no nicks.

Tugged a bit in the tough spots and first-pass reduction was so-so at best, but in the end a good shave is a good shave.

Have a great day and a good start to the week, gents.

Stirling Peach - 'nuff said!
1f44d.png
Indeed. Love it.

Good Shave Randall!
Thanks.

A peach scented soap? Yes please!
It's awesome. You should check it out.

131/168 this morning.

Soapy Science DSB and the Noonan for today's shave. First pass went well.

Tried something different for the second pass; I went back to the Chimensch-style cross-handed WTG/XTG mix that is ear-to-nose. I haven't done this pass in a long time. I do my third pass directly nose-to-ear. It occurred to me that my second pass is also more nose-to-ear, and that I might get a smoother result by doing the second pass more ear-to-nose (while still N-S a bit) and then the direct XTG nose-to-ear.

It felt a bit strange because I haven't done it in a long time, but it went smoothly, and the end result probably was slightly better than what I've been doing. CCS+ today.

I was in a real hurry this morning so I decided to do clean-up with my Atra. Ironically, I got a weeper on the neck with the Atra. No problems with the straight razor, though, lol.

Have a great day, gents!

Oh, and yesterday I purchased a razor from a fellow straight user in Texas, via the internet. It's a Japanese razor and it's a shorty. I've been drawn to Japanese razors and to shorties from the get-go, so when I saw this one (nearly NOS), I just had to have it. My wife is not going to be happy, but this was my last shaving purchase for the year. I have more than plenty of soaps, aftershaves, blades, etc., that I will have no trouble at all going on a shave purchase sabbatical until 2019.

Sounds good Randall, though a weeper on the neck is a bit scary, lol!

Congrats on the new acquisition! Looking forward to the pics and first shave!

Nice shave with the DSB, Randall, though that is indeed ironic that you caught a weeper with the Atra and not the straight.

132/169 this morning.

Noonan razor, lollipop citrus soap. Did the cross handed second pass again.
Excellent three-pass shave to DFS.

Also, the mailman unexpectedly brought my new Japanese shorty today! Too late for the shave, obviously.

Out of town for my eldest son's wedding! Not back until Tuesday.
Atra between now and then.

Good stuff Randall. Looking forward to seeing the shorty in action!

Big congratulations on the wedding! Have a great time!

Back