The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

Great couple of shaves Randall!

Congratulations on your Son's wedding!

Hope you have have a safe and enjoyable trip!

What Craig said.
1f60e.png

133/170 this morning, after a long break.

Fired up my newest straight razor, which is a Rosette Japanese shorty. Used Soapy Science in Doc's Special Blend scent. Man, was I happy to be back to an awesome lather!

Unfortunately, the edge on the Rosette was not up to the task. So I did the first pass with a Schick Injector, and then used the Noonan for the second pass.

End result was CCS. I'm going to try taking the new blade to the pasted balsa to see if I can get it up to snuff. If that doesn't work I'll send it off for honing.

Lots of stories to tell about our trip, but no time for it right now. I have to take my youngest son over to a doctor's appointment.

But stay tuned to this channel for some craziness that happened on our trip.

Good stuff Randall. Looking forward to seeing the shorty in action!

Big congratulations on the wedding! Have a great time!
Thanks!

Congrats on the wedding. Enjoy!
Thanks, Dave.

Solid travel razor!
Yep. Used I Coloniali cream without a brush and did one pass plus touch-up the entire vacation and got some pretty good shaves. I use the European refill that has the green lube strip and has a thing on the back that you can push to clean stuff out from between the blades.

Hope everything goes well for the wedding!
Thanks!

What Craig said.
1f60e.png
Thanks, guys.

OK, so now for the "rest of the story." Not as exciting, perhaps, as y'all are expecting, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My son was diagnosed with mono about 5 days before the wedding. He had been feeling bad for about a week or so, and it was kind of getting worse. He finally went to the doctor and his mono test was positive.

On the day of the wedding he actually felt pretty decent, but after the wedding there was a lot of photos in the relentless desert sun, and then a reception. By the end of the reception he was exhausted.

They had a flight for their honeymoon scheduled for early the next morning. But when morning came, he was feeling quite a bit worse. They did not board the plane. By later that morning he was experiencing extreme abdominal pain. Since the spleen gets fragile in mono and sometimes spontaneously ruptures, he had to go to the Emergency Room of a local hospital to get checked out. He got fluids, anti-nausea meds, morphine, and a CT scan of the abdomen with and without contrast. He also got labs done. Luckily, his spleen was OK and there was no surgical problem in the abdomen. He did have evidence of hepatitis, which was likely due to the virus that causes mono. He went back to his apartment from the hospital and slept for 9 hours (would've been longer, but I asked his new wife to wake him so he could get fluids). He was up for about two hours and then slept for 10 more. His appetite was still horrible and he still had some stomach discomfort, but after all that sleep he was improving somewhat.

So, here was the problem. We are having an open house for him at our house on Saturday. He was supposed to be honeymooning in Vermont. Should he still go to Vermont? Or just come here?

Ultimately they decided to forego Vermont. My wife got him and his wife a hotel on the beach for the days between now and the open house. It sounds easy, and like it worked out ok, but the truth is that my wife and I spent over 4 hours on the phone with Orbitz and American Airlines to try to get this to happen; the last of those calls took place from 1:30 in the morning until about 2:15. Yes, it was insane. We had already paid $1600 for the original tickets, which would have taken them from SLC to Vermont, then from Vermont to Norfolk, and then from Norfolk back to SLC. All we wanted to do was to simplify the trip to make it from SLC to Norfolk and then back to SLC. If anything, we were greatly simplifying the trip and probably saving the airline money.

They originally told us that the $1600 was non-refundable and the flights were not exchangeable, so the $1600 was just gone. And it we wanted to pay them $1900 more they would get them from SLC to Norfolk and back. Hence the multiple calls. In the end we had to cough up $700 more in order to get them out here so they could have some semblance of a honeymoon and be present for the open house. At one point my wife and I contemplated how it would be to have an open house for them with just their photographs in the room! The money we spent to cater the open house was already paid and it was too late to call off the event! Just a nightmare.

So yesterday morning we get packed up and go to the airport for our flight home, which was to be from SLC to Chicago Midway, and then from Chicago Midway to Norfolk. We were told that because of weather events, our flight from SLC was going to land in Chicago at 10:30 p.m. and the flight we were supposed to catch would have been gone 15 minutes earlier. We booked a 5:45 a.m. flight and prepared ourselves to attempt sleep in the airport terminal from 10:30 until 5:15-ish.

Good news, though! The flight from Midway to Norfolk was boarding when our plane landed. I saw it through the airplane window. Then, the plane stopped on the tarmac and the pilot told us we had to wait 15 minutes before the plane could be docked. We were sure our flight would leave while we sat there. We thought we might even see it taxi past our window. Miraculously, we were first off the flight when it finally docked and we got to our gate just as they were about to close the doors. When they saw us, they held them open and let us board. Yay! So we got home at 3:00 a.m. and slept in our own beds. It was a late night and we were exhausted, but it was better than trying to sleep at the airport.

Sorry this was so long. As of now things are OK. My son is feeling much better. He and his new bride are in Virginia Beach at a beach front hotel to enjoy the next few days together, and we will have them here for our open house on Saturday. Win-win-win.

Man, a heck of a wedding for the books. It’ll make for quite a story at their first big anniversary party!

Glad things ended up working out. At least the money didn’t come out of your shaving budget right? ?

Congrats again.

Holy Crap! What a way to start a Marriage! That’s just nuts.

Glad and everything is working out now and he’s feeling better.

Wow! What a bad situation all around! I sucks that you had to pay the extra money...but I guess things could have been much worse. I hope your son recovers well enough. Mono can be really bad!

134/171 this morning.

I was disappointed with the Japanese shorty the first time out, so last night I gave it 20 laps on the CrOx and 10 on the FeOx before stropping. I was hoping that this morning it would be silky smooth.

Unfortunately, it still wasn't quite sharp enough. Tugged a little. It would cut, but it wasn't the edge I was hoping for. Just in case, last night I also stropped up the Tilquin (remember that one? I haven't used it in forever).

So, after the first pass on the right cheek with the Rosette shorty wasn't going very well, I unsheathed the mighty Tilquin for the rest of the first pass. It was a bit better, but not a whole lot, so I went back to the Rosette for the second and third passes. It seemed a bit better than on the first pass, but still not quite right. It felt a bit harsh occasionally, which I have felt before after using the FeOx. Maybe stropping it up again tonight will mellow out the edge a little. Maybe it will surprise me tomorrow morning.

I finished off with the Schick injector, and ended up with a weeper on the low left neck (from the injector, not from either of the straights. Final result was CCS and comfortable except for the weeper area.

For tomorrow, I will be stropping up both the Rosette and the Noonan. I'll give the Rosette the first shot, but if it is not up to the task, I'll revert to the Noonan.

I have a dental appointment at 9:30 tomorrow morning, so I'd best be getting some sleep.

My son seems to be feeling a lot better. He is not here (finally on his honeymoon), but he did text me a picture of a crab cake sandwich he is eating at a restaurant on the oceanfront, so I think that means his appetite is returning!

Really sorry for the razor trouble. I hope it's not indicative of something more troublesome down the line. Great news about your son. And that crab cake sandwich sounds awesome!

Great update, sans the edge troubles.

Glad your son is feeling better. I think when I had mono back in high school, it took me over a week, possibly two, to get over it, it was quite miserable.

Dang, bummer for them to have all that to deal with around their wedding. Glad you guys were able to get something figured out.

Now....pics of the new razor!

Too bad the edge on the Rosette isn't up to par. Otherwise good couple of shaves.

Glad to hear you son is better! That will be quite the story for the grand kids some day.

The real question is of course...

WHO WAS HE KISSING?

My thoughts exactly!

Thanks, guys.

135/172 this morning. Like I said, last night I stropped up both the Rosette and the Noonan. For this morning's shave, I lathered up some Mike's OCBP, then took to the right cheek with the Rosette. I got the entire right cheek done, but reduction was not very good, so I switched to the Noonan for the rest of the shave.

Three pass DFS shave today with the Noonan. I think the Rosette is going to have to be honed.

Oh well. All's well that ends well.

Today is all about preparations for tomorrow's Open House, which is going to be at our place. My wife is working herself into a tizzy about it. I spent the morning cleaning bathrooms. They are spotless now.

Anyway, have a great day, gents.

Back