The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

I always buy aftershave if i'm at a place that has something I like. Nice score!

If we're not careful, they're gonna start a clown house thread and ban us to it.................

Nice shave Randall !!
If we're not careful, they're gonna start a clown house thread and ban us to it.................

Nice shave Randall !!
Great shave Randall! Glad you scored on the impulse stop!
Great shave Randall!

Always nice to find shaving stuff out in the wild!
I always buy aftershave if i'm at a place that has something I like. Nice score!
Nice shaves and great pick up Randall!

Thanks, guys! I used the aftershave again today. It's really nice. Has a pretty good menthol kick but it takes a few seconds before you realize how much menthol it has in it.

122/159 today after 9 holes of golf at the closest course to my house. I hit the ball really well today. Shot 39 despite a double bogey on 16 (played the back 9). Even the shot at 16 was a good shot, but it was one club too much and it landed over the green in a difficult trap with wet sand. I made a mess of it from there. But otherwise, a really good round with a lot of good shots.

Anyway, used the ZY today. Gave it 10 laps on the CrOx and then stropped it for a good long while. Lathered up the Soapy Science DSB and went to town. Still felt like it tugged a bit more than the Noonan does on the first pass, but reduction was OK, and after three passes I was CCS. I tried some new directions on the left neck near the end that worked out well, so that was good.

Overall, a good shave and a good round of golf. Pretty sweet!

Have a great day!

Great stuff Randall! 39 with a double bogey is nothing to shake a fist at, any way you look at it!

Great shave Randall! A 39 is a great score, or would have been when I was playing.

Great stuff Randall! 39 with a double bogey is nothing to shake a fist at, any way you look at it!
Great shave Randall! A 39 is a great score, or would have been when I was playing.
Thanks, guys. I really played well.

123/160 this morning.

ZY again, this time with Stirling Peach. Two passes on the cheeks, three on the neck (working on some stuff on the neck). CCS without irritation.

I mowed the lawn this morning; well, most of it, anyway. My old John Deere started making some funny noises when I was almost done; sounded like the blades couldn't handle the amount of grass, but the area I was mowing wasn't that deep. So I turned it off and took a look. The blade platform had come completely loose in the front and was actually on the ground! The blades were trying to cut the lawn to something like 1/4 inch length. No wonder they couldn't handle it. Yikes.

Tried to put it back together but it's missing a piece or two. Not good.

On the plus side, I got samples of a bath soap and a shampoo bar from Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations and tried them both out this morning between the mowing and the shaving. The shampoo bar sample I got is aruvedic; out of the package it doesn't smell good at all. It took me a second or two to place the scent, and then it hit me. It smells like a Milkbone dog treat. Honestly, it does, at least to my nose.

Good news is that once lathered it hardly had any scent at all and it seemed to work really well. The bath soap smelled great and lathered amazingly. These are definitely quality products.

That's all folks. Big day for me at church tomorrow. Playing the organ for the main service, which I do about twice a month. They recently asked me to also teach Sunday School for the adult class twice a month. We are studying the Old Testament this year. Tomorrow will be my first lesson. 1 Samuel 18-23. Jonathan, David, Saul. All that stuff. I'm a bit nervous, but I think it will go OK.

Great update Randall!

Good luck with the service and lesson! I can see it now, to turn a Star Wars phrase, “Did David sling first?”

Yeah I can see where the mower deck falling off might be a problem. My father-in-law has an old Toro Wheel Horse tractor that he has kept alive for more than 30 years. They don't make a lot of the parts for that tractor anymore so he is constantly fabricating parts to keep it going. The damn tractor even went through a flood and is still running!

Good stuff Randall, though hopefully you'll be able to fix the tractor without too much hassle. Good luck with the service and adult bible study at church!!

Great update Randall!

Good luck with the service and lesson! I can see it now, to turn a Star Wars phrase, “Did David sling first?”
ha! It went well, and though I didn't mention Star Wars, I actually mentioned Ferris Bueller's Day Off, lol. If you are familiar with how Michal helped David to escape then you can probably figure out how I worked that in.

Yeah I can see where the mower deck falling off might be a problem. My father-in-law has an old Toro Wheel Horse tractor that he has kept alive for more than 30 years. They don't make a lot of the parts for that tractor anymore so he is constantly fabricating parts to keep it going. The damn tractor even went through a flood and is still running!
Not a lot of guys left like your father-in-law. I used to have a guy who lived right next door to me who was a mechanical engineer and could fix anything. If he were still there, I would probably have been able to finish the mowing.

Good shave Randall!

What was the scent of the bath soap?
it is labelled absinthe. Since I don't drink, I don't know whether the scent is accurate. But it has a bit of an anise scent to it and it smells really nice. Lathers great, too. I may have to pick up a full bar at some point.

You’re a busy man tomorrow. Best of luck.
Thanks. I made a couple of mistakes on the organ, but I don't think anybody noticed, lol.

Good stuff Randall, though hopefully you'll be able to fix the tractor without too much hassle. Good luck with the service and adult bible study at church!!
Thanks. There is a guy at my church who repairs mowers for a living; he is going to come look at it tomorrow. It just needs to be reattached and it should be good. Everything at church went well, thanks.

So, this morning was my day off open blade shaving. I decided that if I was going to do a DE shave, I'd make it an epic one! So, I pulled out the much vaunted Hybrid Tech (yes, I have one), put it on a UFO Titan Fine L, and loaded it with a Polsilver SI.

For lather I used my Father's Day gift, the AoS cream in the lemon scent. Thanks to Chris's tip about how much water to use, I was able to get a fantastic lather out of it.

There wasn't much stubble because yesterday I shaved at about noon, but I did two passes and was left with a DFS. Fantastic!

Followed it with that Citrus Menthol Mint aftershave I unexpectedly came upon on the 4th of July, and I was good to go!

Hope you had a great day, gents!

ha! It went well, and though I didn't mention Star Wars, I actually mentioned Ferris Bueller's Day Off, lol. If you are familiar with how Michal helped David to escape then you can probably figure out how I worked that in.

Yes! Classic movie!

Thanks. There is a guy at my church who repairs mowers for a living; he is going to come look at it tomorrow. It just needs to be reattached and it should be good. Everything at church went well, thanks.

So, this morning was my day off open blade shaving. I decided that if I was going to do a DE shave, I'd make it an epic one! So, I pulled out the much vaunted Hybrid Tech (yes, I have one), put it on a UFO Titan Fine L, and loaded it with a Polsilver SI.

For lather I used my Father's Day gift, the AoS cream in the lemon scent. Thanks to Chris's tip about how much water to use, I was able to get a fantastic lather out of it.

There wasn't much stubble because yesterday I shaved at about noon, but I did two passes and was left with a DFS. Fantastic!

Followed it with that Citrus Menthol Mint aftershave I unexpectedly came upon on the 4th of July, and I was good to go!

Hope you had a great day, gents!

Yes, the mighty Tech does it again! I did my prewar Fat Handled today. Good shaves every time!

Thanks, guys. I loves me my Techs, and especially my Hybrid Tech. I think it is the best razor Gillette ever made. Pity they are so rare and hard to come by. I also have a British flat-bottom Tech, a Canadian pre-war Tech, and an American post-war Tech. They are all good shavers with subtle differences.

124/161 this morning.

Used the ZY again, with Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus scent. Somebody on another forum was singing the praises of using pre-shave oil under the lather when straight razor shaving, so this morning I did the first part of a little experiment. My father sent me some Oscar's shaving oil that he received as a gift (he uses an electric [the horror!]). So for today's shave, I put the oil on the left side of my face but not my right. Tomorrow I will do the opposite.

Anyway, I had a good shave. Three passes on the face and three on the neck. I have gradually been increasing the strokes I'm doing on the neck and cutting back on touch-ups. This morning I got the left side of my neck almost completely clean without the DE. For some reason I am able to shave the left neck better than the right neck. I can do seemingly more difficult maneuvers, too. It seems, in fact, that I shave better with my left hand in general, even though I am right handed. Strange.

Anyway, the Hybrid Tech didn't have much to touch up this morning for a CCS, and a good start to the week.

Hope you had a great shave, too!

Interested to hear the results of your preshave experiment after tomorrow’s shave!

Have a good Monday Randall!

I too am interested in the results from this pre-shave oil trial...

Nice shave today Randall!

Well it sounds like the oil wasn't a disaster. The one and only time I used a preshave oil it was a gooey mess I had to wash off.

Back