The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

JWS VII's Shave Journal

Razor: Schick Hydro-Magic
Blade: Chick (4)
Brush: Paladin Sumo 26mm
Soap: Mama Bear's Awakenings (17)
AS 1: Thayers Lavender
AS 2: Proraso Green
AS 3: Pacific Shave Co. Caffeinated Balm

Phew! Long time since an update here. Nice shave today with the Hydro-Magic (IN-JEC-TAH!) and new Paladin Sumo. I love the look and feel of this brush--unique and surprisingly ergonomic. I also like the 26mm knot size as compared to my 24mm Paladin.

Bit of a throwback today with the Mama Bear's, but it performed admirably. Nothing wrong with the melt and pour soaps. Great face freeze as well.

Work has been crazy with seemingly everyone trying to get deals done before year end. However, things seem to be leveling out for the remainder of the holidays. Fingers crossed!

Working from home today, as poor Baby G has another illness. Pink eye going around daycare. I know I've said it before, but man that place is a petri dish! She has some antibiotics and should be good to go tomorrow. Even when sick, she is a very happy baby. Little blessings.

Thanks for reading!

Great photo and set-up! And Mama Bear's soaps are excellent. As a matter of fact, I should use one this week!

Hope your Baby G gets well soon.

He lives! ?

Good to hear from you John! Congrats again on the Paladin.

I’ve never been as sick as much as I was when my children were smaller. Hopefully baby G is on the up and up for her first Christmas!

Nice gear. Mama Bear offers a huge variety of scents, something for everyone. Congratulations on your family, John. Children are a blessing, a true gift.

Enjoy your shaves!

Great photo and set-up! And Mama Bear's soaps are excellent. As a matter of fact, I should use one this week!

Hope your Baby G gets well soon.

Thanks Chris
1f60e.png

He lives!
1f602.png

Good to hear from you John! Congrats again on the Paladin.

I’ve never been as sick as much as I was when my children were smaller. Hopefully baby G is on the up and up for her first Christmas!

Nice gear. Mama Bear offers a huge variety of scents, something for everyone. Congratulations on your family, John. Children are a blessing, a true gift.

Enjoy your shaves!

Thanks Bruce!

Missing John's entries. we're gonna have to wake him up and get him to resurrect himself like in the gif

Thanks for the shout out Dave--I'm still alive! All is well, life is just keeping me busy. I'm still trying to keep up and throw in some "thumbs up" here and there.

(This GIF is so funny to me--had to post it again...)

It's been forever since I've posted an update here! I've been lurking around and trying to keep tabs on things, just haven't been posting much...

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green) (16)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best
Soap: Tabac! (54)
AS 1: Thayers Lavender
AS 2: Fine L'Orange Noir
AS 3: Stirling Unscented Balm (menthol)

Sorry lads, no SOTD picture.

Been chugging along with the One Blade in February challenge, although I've missed quite a few shaves this month. As I mentioned elsewhere, the ice storm of a couple of weeks ago knocked out our power for over 72 hours. Pretty scary in the wintertime with a baby, plus worries about frozen pipes, etc. We had to flee to my parents for a couple of nights. Luckily no damage to the home. Anyways, this really through a wrench in my shaving routine! I'm planning to continue the One Blade challenge past February--I think I can easily get 30 shaves from this blade, probably more.

In other news, we're gearing up to go on vacation! We leave Saturday morning for Punta Cana (wife + Baby G + my parents). I've never done the all-inclusive thing before, so I'm not sure what to expect--except that the weather is supposed to be 85 and sunny pretty much everyday we're there. I think I can live with that.
1f60e.png
Thursday is my last day of work this week and things are wrapping up nicely. Only two-ish days to go!

On a final note, I'm being pursued pretty aggressively by a
firm client to work for them in-house. The first time they brought it up, I kind of begged off and said I'd think about it. Now they've approached again and talked me into a meeting their General Counsel and EVP. I'm of two minds about it. Generally, private practice has more (economic) upside, but can be exhausting and unpredictable. I'm definitely not enamored with it. The perks of in-house counsel, on the other hand, are generally more lifestyle based. It's much more of a normal "job," if that makes any sense. Anyways, the meeting is set for the week after I get back from vacation. We'll see what happens.

JOHN!!!!! Good to see you. Hope you and the family have a warm relaxing time. Sounds like you'll weigh all the options and make a good decision on the wirk front. Best wishes with it. You don't have to hide and lurk for a ling time before using that gif you know ?

Welcome back! Enjoy your vacation and break from the cold & snow.

Good luck at the meeting!

Great update John, glad you and the family are all safe after the storm. Enjoy that trip!

Wow, lucky you had a place to hold up during the black out. Sounds like an awesome time to get away. We're taking the family to an all inclusive in Mexico in the summer. I've never done that either.

John, Well, I found where you hid it....................................or I'm more awake than when I was looking before.

CONGRATS on upcoming arrival of another mini me :cool:
538729cff0e1646ffea890d00d21ebdb.gif

Back