The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

JWS VII's Shave Journal

Oh man! I see a trip to Michigan in my future! I do have some family members I need to visit!

Congrats on the Vector John! Looking forward to the review...assuming the delivery driver isn’t too far under the MJ influence to find your house...?

Shave 11.7.18

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather ProGuard (1)
Brush: Simpson X2L Colonel
Soap: SV - Flying Mango
AS1: Thayers Lavender
AS2: AV Ice Blue

Skipped a shave yesterday...

But got to it this morning!

Shave 11.9.18

Blade: Feather ProGuard (2)
Brush: Semogue Mistura
Soap: GTB
AS1: Thayers Lavender
AS2: GTB

Just a quick entry here--work has been crazy the last few days. Still too early for a final verdict, but I'm really liking the Vector so far. It is a nimble little beast. The head is so small and finely tuned that it almost feels delicate. You can tell a lot of thought went into this design. If you haven't looked at how the blade is held in place on this razor, pop on over to Blackland and check it out. It's pretty neat.

The razor feels quite mild--much more so than the Rx, for example--but seems plenty efficient. I don't think the ProGuard is the best blade for it (I don't really care for it in any event), but thought it was a logical starting point.

It's a GTB kind of day... in the snow. UGH!

Nice shave John and look forward to your thoughts on the Vector
Congrats on the Vector John! Looking forward to the review...assuming the delivery driver isn’t too far under the MJ influence to find your house...
1f602.png
Oh man! I see a trip to Michigan in my future! I do have some family members I need to visit!

Thanks for reading guys!

GTB and the Vector. I'm intrigued by this one but pricey without knowing it's the one. Paging Gus, you got thisone? ???

Make a shave journal, they said. It'll be easy to keep up, they said....

*Sigh* Just a few days in and behind on this and everything else! Oh well, one can only do what one can...

Blade: Feather ProGuard (4)
Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout (3)
AS 1: Thayers Lavender
AS 2: Stirling Bay Rum

Another good shave with the Vector. This is a really nice razor, and you can't beat CBL.

Baby G got booted from daycare yesterday because she had some rash that they thought was contagious. Otherwise she's feeling fine. My wife was working in the hospital and couldn't leave, so it fell to me to pick her up and take her to the doc. Turns out it's just an unspecified rash that is not contagious. She's back at daycare today, no problem. I get where the daycare is coming from, but man did it throw a wrench in my day!

Interesting new razor. What's the weight of it?....

Is that Semogue brush the mixed knot? I just got one and it's breaking in nicely.

Yes, it is the mixed knot--mine is breaking in nicely as well. Had it since July or so. The handle is also very nice.

The razor is stainless, but it is so delicate and nimble that it almost feels like some other material. Definitely not the weight you expect when thinking about a SS razor. I love it!

I know that all too well with the kids. However if it was hand foot mouth you will be VERY HAPPY that your daycare does that. Both of our kids ended up with hand foot mouth and honestly I think it might be worse than chicken pox. It is so contagious and this is the time of year for it.

Good shave John! No worries about not updating every time.

Hope the little one’s rash heals quickly!

I know that all too well with the kids. However if it was hand foot mouth you will be VERY HAPPY that your daycare does that. Both of our kids ended up with hand foot mouth and honestly I think it might be worse than chicken pox. It is so contagious and this is the time of year for it.
This, but it kills me when it comes to colds/allergies/runny nose. It's so arbitrary and when they get older it gets silly. Some teachers will send them to the office if they have to blow their nose. What? We have to keep them home for three days for a lingering cold??

Ya, don't worry about the journal. Some guys don't keep it up every day. We talk about them behind their backs. But hey, we still let them hang around.

Good point--definitely want to avoid that!

Good shave John! No worries about not updating every time.

Hope the little one’s rash heals quickly!
Thanks Chris. Whatever it is, I think it's fading away.

Ya, don't worry about the journal. Some guys don't keep it up every day. We talk about them behind their backs. But hey, we still let them hang around.
1f62d.png

Yes, it is the mixed knot--mine is breaking in nicely as well. Had it since July or so. The handle is also very nice.

The razor is stainless, but it is so delicate and nimble that it almost feels like some other material. Definitely not the weight you expect when thinking about a SS razor. I love it!

Thanks!

Blade: Feather ProGuard (8)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve (1)
AS 1: Thayers Lavender
AS 2: Stirling Christmas Eve
AS 3: Stirling Unscented Balm (menthol)

Pulled out all the stops today for nice shave. The Vector continues to deliver and the ProGuard has really smoothed out--no signs of giving up the ghost as of yet. First use of Stirling Christmas Eve. As I mentioned in another thread, the scent is great off of the puck. Same istrue when lathered. Stirling soaps perform so well for me--if I had to (god forbid) only use one artisan, I think Stirling would win hands down. Just checks all of the boxes.

TRIPLE AFTERSHAVE today. The Christmas Eve aftershave is also nice (again, quality Stirling product), but it needs a really good shake before use. The balm was a nice final touch (first use of Stirling's balms), but unnecessary because Stirling splashes are pretty nourishing in and of themselves. Probably save the balm for days when I use a straight up alcohol splash.

The wife is on call at the hospital this weekend, so I'm on dad duty. Slipped in the shave during morning nap time (when you're a baby and you wake up at five, it's nap time by eight!)
. Me and baby G will probably just hunker down today and watch some football. Hard to tell from the photo above, but it's slowing turning into a winter wonderland outside.

Michigan has Indiana today. They've played us tough the last few years, but we've found a way to win (Michigan's overall record against IU is something like 59-9; I don't think I was alive when we last lost to them). We should take care of business today no problem--one more tune up until The Game... Go Blue!

Thanks for reading. Have a great day Cadre!

Great shave, John. Stirling's Christmas Eve is a fantastic scent, and one that will be making multiple appearances in my shave den in the upcoming months.

Aftershave trifecta! Great shave John. Hope you enjoy the day indoctrinating the baby girl on being a daddy’s girl!

Back