The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

JWS VII's Shave Journal

This has been coming for some time now, but I'm finally getting around to starting a shave journal. Apologies in advance for the banalities of my life...

Last night's shave:
Razor: Asylum Rx
Blade: Proline (10)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Soap: WK Man From Mayfair (24)
AS1: Thayers Lavender
AS2: Stirling - Bay Rum

I usually shave in the evenings so I can get out the door faster in the morning. Great shave with the Rx last night--as many know, it demands a super light tough. I've had this razor for several months and am just now figuring out the proper technique. I shaved with it for almost a month straight when I first received it and, frankly, my shaves were very uncomfortable. Shelved it for a month or so and am having much better luck this go around. I had what one might call a "pressure epiphany" a few weeks ago and the comfort of my shaves have vastly improved.

But enough about shaving for now. Just before joining TSC, my wife and I celebrated the birth of our daughter. Having a baby has been a completely life altering experience, but all for the better. Baby G is now over 4 months old and doing great--she started flipping over recently, so movement is likely on the horizon (YIKES!). Here's a shot of the family just before we opened the doors to trick-or-treaters on Halloween (baby G is a unicorn ):

Thanks all for reading. I'll do my best to keep this updated and participate in the journals!

Excellent first Journal entry John! Lovely family, congratulations on the baby unico- er daughter!

The RX is a beautiful thing. Glad you’re enjoying it’s shaves now.

Welcome to the journals John! I am happy that you had a pressure epiphany...to tell you the truth, I'm still waiting on mine! Just one of those things I struggle with from time to time.

Have to say congratulations on the rug rats...and an absolutely beautiful family!

Well, first I had to google banalities. Second, that's a very cute baby. Thirdly, keep rockin' the RX!

Welcome to the Journals John. You have a beautiful family! Enjoy every minute of Baby G, they grow up fast.

Excellent first Journal entry John! Lovely family, congratulations on the baby unico- er daughter!

The RX is a beautiful thing. Glad you’re enjoying it’s shaves now.

Thanks Chris! The unicorn costume is pretty hilarious...

Welcome to the journals John! I am happy that you had a pressure epiphany...to tell you the truth, I'm still waiting on mine! Just one of those things I struggle with from time to time.

Have to say congratulations on the rug rats...and an absolutely beautiful family!

Thanks Don. My mantra lately: no pressure, No pressure, No Pressure, NO PRESSURE!

Well, first I had to google banalities. Second, that's a very cute baby. Thirdly, keep rockin' the RX!

That's the Michigan difference™
1f605.png
Rx FTW!

Welcome to the Journals John. You have a beautiful family! Enjoy every minute of Baby G, they grow up fast.

Thanks KJ--already flying by...

Great family photo! Kids sure are great!

Welcome to the journals John! Great first post and congrats on the new family addition!

Shave 11.5.18

Razor: Rockwell 6S (4)
Blade: Feather (10)
Brush: Paladin Dark Holler Jack 24mm
Soap: Stirling - Orange Chill (sample) (3)
AS2: Fine L'Orange Noir

An ORANGE shave last night. Pretty much no muss no fuss. A little redness on the right side of my neck (a sensitive spot for me), but I think it had more to do with the blade giving up the ghost than any change in my "pressure epiphany." I tossed it after the shave.

Yesterday I had to write a self-evaluation for the year--I hate writing these things! The questions posed are so stilted and the answers come across the same way. I decided if I had to do it, I might as well do it somewhere other than work. So I posted up at a local bar for a couple of hours and banged it out. Feels good to have it mostly done--plus the drinks were better!

Got voting out of the way this morning... productive day so far! Thanks for reading.

I absolutely detest self evaluations! Self-Evals are for employers who are too lazy to do it the right way or for employers who don't want to get to know their employees. I had a supervisor hand me a self-eval once and I asked if I could do hers. She stared at me for about 20 seconds and must have decided I was joking because she gave me a funny look, snorted, and then sort of laughed. I was not joking.

Great shave! I did a CBL/Fine version of the same yesterday.

Glad the self-eval is over for you...until next year! No chance of writing it up ahead of time hm? ?

Work from pub > work from home

Truth!

Year end self evals are the worst!
I absolutely detest self evaluations! Self-Evals are for employers who are too lazy to do it the right way or for employers who don't want to get to know their employees. I had a supervisor hand me a self-eval once and I asked if I could do hers. She stared at me for about 20 seconds and must have decided I was joking because she gave me a funny look, snorted, and then sort of laughed. I was not joking.
Great shave! I did a CBL/Fine version of the same yesterday.

Glad the self-eval is over for you...until next year! No chance of writing it up ahead of time hm?
1f602.png
After a few drinks I hope you weren't too hard on yourself..............

Ugh, self-evals are painful. Thanks for reading guys!

Shave 11.6.18

Razor: Timeless .68 SB
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (5)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Soap: CBL Premium - Russian Tea (1)
AS2: VIBR

Really nice shave last night with the Timeless and CBL--pretty much a bulletproof combination. This was my first use of the Russia Tea scent, and I have to say, I think it's my favorite so far (also have tried GHOST DB and Roasted Oatmeal Stout). Definitely get the orange and clove notes, both of which seem to amp up when lathered. It just feels warm and comfortable--a perfect colder weather scent.

In other news, I ordered the new Blackland Vector this weekend and it's currently out for delivery! Hopefully it will make an appearance in tonight's shave.

The polls were quite busy yesterday, in Michigan and across the country. Michigan voters approved the legalization of recreational marijuana, the first state in the Midwest to do so. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Thanks all for reading!

Back