The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Just ordered my first Simpson!

Just ordered a Milk Churn in butterscotch, a Keyhole 4 and a Major, all in best badger directly from Simpson. Which rounds out my Simpson collection, I am now done buying anymore brushes.

rounds out my Simpson collection, I am now done buying anymore brushes.

Just ordered a Chubby 2 in super from Pasteur's at 20% off.
A vow that lasted a little under 48 hours, pretty good restraint! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

But when it comes to these brushes I understand! Iā€™m often guilty of the same. For example, last week I ordered a Polo to try to get a gray box ā€œmade in Englandā€ based on your experiences, so I guess Iā€™m Mr. Kettle here (or is it Mr. Pot?).

Just ordered a Milk Churn in butterscotch, a Keyhole 4 and a Major, all in best badger directly from Simpson. Which rounds out my Simpson collection, I am now done buying anymore brushes.
That's sort of what I'm telling myself. We'll see. Ive never aggressively collected Simpsons, but have sort of accrued 18 over quite a while. I don't currently intend to get another one, and I resisted the impulse to go buy a Polo 4 a few moments ago, but I'll never say never with the Simpsons. I just really like the look, and the brushes all work fine. I don't perceive all the infinitesimal millimeter variations and multi-property batch signatures, and I've successfully (so far) avoided putting anything gelly against my face. Never is a long time. Don't put yourself in the position of having to overrule yourself. I suggest leaving an option open, with no plans to buy. This hobby can last a long, long time. You might want to buy yourself an Anniversary brush that comes along that would have great significance for you. You just never know. This, by the way, is about as strong an enabling argument as you'll get from me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

A vow that lasted a little under 48 hours, pretty good restraint! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

But when it comes to these brushes I understand! Iā€™m often guilty of the same. For example, last week I ordered a Polo to try to get a gray box ā€œmade in Englandā€ based on your experiences, so I guess Iā€™m Mr. Kettle here (or is it Mr. Pot?).
Did it arrive yet?

View attachment 114578
Arrived today. New in box (Gray Box ā€œMade in Englandā€) Polo 10. Very cool!
Also these knots in best are likely their finest specimens of best in recent memory. I have a gray box, made in England Commodore X3 almost a similar look but not as white at the tips and it is VERY soft and scrubby.

Last edited:
Re: Simpson downgrading their knots (calling a Super knot ā€˜Bestā€™), I donā€™t think they do that. I have bought different Best brushes at virtually the same time and had vastly different experiences (58 that is butter soft and Duke 3 that is (was) annoyingly prickly). To look at, they were clearly the same grade of hair, but by feel, one of those badgers was having a bad day.

I have not bought very many brushes over the last 10 years or so, but back when I had SBAD bad (Ha!), getting a buttery soft Best badger knot was like hitting the lottery. That said, Iā€™ve had 3 Duke 3ā€™s in Best and sold them all because of scritch. I have the full set of 50ā€™s in Best and each one is the perfect example of its model.

Maybe it's my skin type (?) but I've never detected any scritch (but then again, I'm not totally clear on what that is other then itchiness?) or prickliness from my Simpsons in best? Guess I was lucky?

Maybe it's my skin type (?) but I've never detected any scritch (but then again, I'm not totally clear on what that is other then itchiness?) or prickliness from my Simpsons in best? Guess I was lucky?
Who knows? Badger hair is a natural product. Thereā€™s bound to be some variation. I have had many Simpson brushes, and only 1 shedder, whereas many others just have bad luck.

Back