The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Just ordered my first Simpson!

Lately I've been contemplating getting a Chubby 2 in super, so I emailed Mark at Progress-Vulfix/Simpson for advice on getting one since I already own one in best and this was his response:

"
Honestly Aaron, the step up to a CH2 Super is negligible but there is a difference. The Super hairs are slightly finer & the knots feel more densely packed.

If you’ve already got a CH2 in Best I’d personally try another brush, something like the Captain.

Take care.

Thanks & kind regards,

Mark"

I thought that was interesting and refreshing. Though the handle of the Captain doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

Lately I've been contemplating getting a Chubby 2 in super, so I emailed Mark at Progress-Vulfix/Simpson for advice on getting one since I already own one in best and this was his response:

"
Honestly Aaron, the step up to a CH2 Super is negligible but there is a difference. The Super hairs are slightly finer & the knots feel more densely packed.

If you’ve already got a CH2 in Best I’d personally try another brush, something like the Captain.

Take care.

Thanks & kind regards,

Mark"

I thought that was interesting and refreshing. Though the handle of the Captain doesn't appeal to me for some reason.
I concur with this advice. In fact, my experience with Simpsons has been that I enjoy each grade of hair. I have a Beaufort in Pure, that is, yes, a little scritchy, but isn't at all unpleasant. My favorite shape, not counting the Milk Churn, which is not a comfortable handle, but I love it, is the Berkeley. A small brush, but fits my hand perfectly. I tend to think of hair grades as more of a variety of choices than a ladder of budget sufficiency. I have three brushes in Manchurian. One, a Chubby 3. I have a Chubby 2 in Super. The difference isn't earth-shattering.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I concur with this advice. In fact, my experience with Simpsons has been that I enjoy each grade of hair. I have a Beaufort in Pure, that is, yes, a little scritchy, but isn't at all unpleasant. My favorite shape, not counting the Milk Churn, which is not a comfortable handle, but I love it, is the Berkeley. A small brush, but fits my hand perfectly. I tend to think of hair grades as more of a variety of choices than a ladder of budget sufficiency. I have three brushes in Manchurian. One, a Chubby 3. I have a Chubby 2 in Super. The difference isn't earth-shattering.

The Berkeley 46 is my favorite handle too!

Put a Simpson decal sticker on my Wee Scot! Bad idea? Tacky?
View attachment 113791
The only way I could see it being a bad idea would be it possibly affecting resale value, but if you're like me, selling a Simpson brush isn't a consideration. Tacky? Absolutely not! If you want that decal, then it's cool.

I like it!

A Polo 12 arrived at my door yesterday evening :) Got both of them through St James of London website and the pics don't accurately show just how light/white the tips and how soft they are. Plus you see fewer black bristles at the tips, these are the best specimens of best that I have to date.Polo1.jpg

A Polo 12 arrived at my door yesterday evening :) Got both of them through St James of London website and the pics don't accurately show just how light/white the tips and how soft they are. Plus you see fewer black bristles at the tips, these are the best specimens of best that I have to date.View attachment 114019
St. James is selling gray box “made in England” polos as new?!? An amazing find indeed

It seems like they weren't selling them fast enough to the point that, most of their stock in certain brushes are old-stock, grey-box era Simpsons?

I ordered my first Simpsons brush a few days ago went with a commodore x3 (best).
One thing I wanted to throw out there was that it was my understanding because I’ve heard before that Simpsons downgrades there knots, like what they call best is actually a higher grade badger.
But, I’m sure someone would know better than me, and as to how that applies specifically to their grading scale.

I ordered my first Simpsons brush a few days ago went with a commodore x3 (best).
One thing I wanted to throw out there was that it was my understanding because I’ve heard before that Simpsons downgrades there knots, like what they call best is actually a higher grade badger.
But, I’m sure someone would know better than me, and as to how that applies specifically to their grading scale.
That very well could be the vase because all of my Simpsons in best have been soft and pleasant and the two Polos in best that I recently acquired look like super knots.(posted above). The Commodore X3 in best was my first Simpson as well, excellent choice!

The Commodore is a great brush! Congratulations!

Back