The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I'll Try to Add More Photos This Time

The my ill attempt at straight razor shaving a while back always left me with stubble on the neck after my ATG pass. Great shave otherwise.

I'll happily hone a blade up of you'd like to try again. A well honed blade should leave you really smooth after an ATG pass.

Good shave and picture Derek!

What no pictures of the stones?

On my list. I planned to do a group photo in 1 week when my other two stones come in.

Nice collection of rocks. Jnats come in such a variety I don’t think I would know one when I see one unless I was told what it was first. I have a smallish stone that was listed for sale as a possible Thuringian but I have no way to confirm absolutely that is indeed an actual branded thurnigian or even the same type but u branded. It was found at an estate along side a labeled stone and had the same appearance so the assumption was made. I picked up the well worn stone for a song so it was a good gamble ...comparing mY stone to yours only confirms mine looks similar. Mine has long lost its square shape but has a similar color and grain.

Catching up Derek nice reads and rocks luckily I have not tripped down that rabbit hole, the coti and arks, along with the Shapton have been good to me, LOL

Naa, I thought the same about Fountain pens, stopped at two, rocks is the same way the Coti Ark works so well, that I am happy, besides you know all my other AD's Str8's, Soaps, brushes, watches, motocycles, cars, ducks, chickens, dragons.. I have enough LOL

I could always fan the flames of another one of your previous addictions...pool cues. ?

I could always fan the flames of another one of your previous addictions...pool cues.
1f603.png

Rats I forgot that one, but it is like an inactive volcano I hope, LOL

Nice collection of stones there. I have yet to jump into that rabbit hole. I will dip my toe into the kiddie pool once I hit 100 shaves.

Thanks all! The other two already got here from Japan. Working on finishing lapping them and I'll post the final group. I did get to try the lather coti edge and while much improved, ATG showed that it wasn't quite there. I've gone back and tried to lap the coti with another coti to improve the surface for finishing, but its so hard I think I need to use a thuri instead. A random aside, but the HHT improved magically over a 36 hour period and I have no idea how.

This morning's shave will be a more typical coti stone to compare. This edge seems like HHT 1/2 so we'll see if its really shaveable.

Catching up Derek nice reads and rocks luckily I have not tripped down that rabbit hole, the coti and arks, along with the Shapton have been good to me, LOL

If you've got a spare ark sitting around, I've got a really nice finisher/tomo ? I wouldn't mind trading for a bit to try an ark out, if you're jonesing for a bit of the jnat magic.

New karasu

Didn't snap the little guy with the yaku? sun pattern. I did lap the little guy and hone with it. Edge ended up being HHT 4/5 with the root in! Not bad for a stone that might not be fully lapped, using a mystery tomo, and with an Atoms 400 surface finish.

I additionally shaved with my ERN Crown and Sword that had an Ardennes coti finish. Much better than my mystery LL coti, but still less than the jnat.

That right there is a pretty stone! Been passively shopping around for an Ozaki or Okudo to go along with my mizu Shobudani.

Back