The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

If you have to do something...

Sounds like fun!!! 🥴

giphy.gif
Wrong baked 😂
Did you do the Ceremony of the Keys?????
We entered from the Bloody Tower gate so we could see the part of the ceremony that occurs behind the Byword Gate.
IMG_3749.jpeg
In this pic, they’ve already opened both the Byword and Middle gates and are heading back to their posts.

Oh....I just realized I hadn't seen the Charles III royal cypher. Great photo of it.
I was sad to see this all over the merch now. But I was thinking the Queen had been around for so long, I can't see that they'll ever be able to replace all her stuff. It's built into everything.

I was sad to see this all over the merch now. But I was thinking the Queen had been around for so long, I can't see that they'll ever be able to replace all her stuff. It's built into everything.
We took a guided tour. They mentioned this. They largely keep the cypher if it’s on something built or sponsored by the regent I think. But yea, livery/uniforms and such get replaced.

Notably the guard huts in front of Buckingham still bear her cypher. He thinks it’s because the king doesn’t live there as she did.

Notably the guard huts in front of Buckingham still bear her cypher. He thinks it’s because the king doesn’t live there as she did.
Unsaid by everyone: Plus he won't be around long enough to justify changing everything.

Photo selection(s) for day 3:
Let’s begin with the bonus shot, shall we? Have walked by a few but not yet visited any churches. Grabbed a single shot of one on the way back to our hotel last night from Cinnamon Club…what do ya know…it happened to be Westminster Abbey.
IMG_3730.jpeg

Had a very early morning, not only to finish packing before heading out for our 4+ hour guided tour…but because even with only 4ish hours sleep last night, I was wide awake at 3:30am.

Still, the tour started with the Tower of London.

Here is Middle Gate (left) and Byword Gate (right), the main visitor entrance and in evenings/nights, the only way in or out for those guards and their families that live on Tower grounds (guards actually need to know the password for the day to get back in after hours).
IMG_3736.jpeg
View behind Byword Gate (back left) with view of the King’s house on top of it (white building on the gate). Bloody Gate to the right and slightly off screen from our Yeoman speaker.
IMG_3744.jpeg

The White Tower/Royal Armoires.
IMG_3756.jpeg

Entrance to the Tower of London (unfortunately photos of the jewels not allowed).
IMG_3760.jpeg
IMG_3773.jpeg

Can’t have the Tower without ravens!
IMG_3755.jpeg

Beefeater and Horse Guard on duty at the entrance to the Horse Guard Parade Grounds (leads to St James Park, Palace, the mall to Buckingham, and most of the other offices or residences of the government (such as Downing St).
IMG_3789.jpeg
IMG_3796.jpeg

Tribute statue to the Gurkha.
IMG_3795.jpeg

Cont:

Monument to the 5 divisions of the British Guard (Grenadiers, Coldstream, Scots, Irish, and Welsh).
IMG_3803.jpeg

Memorial stairs for Queen Elizabeth and King George VI.
IMG_3810.jpeg

Queen Victoria Memorial and Buckingham Palace.
IMG_3823.jpeg
IMG_3826.jpeg

Our setting for dinner (rabbit ribs, Babette steak with fries and green, and a sticky toffee pudding with clotted cream ice cream) this evening and our stay in Stanton Harcourt just outside of Oxford.
IMG_3834.jpeg
IMG_3832.jpeg

Shave #255 (800 Open Blade Shaves) of 2023:

Gear: Gillette Prewar Tech, Astra SP blade, Stirling 2-band synth brush, Clown Puke tub soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm, Speick AS, and Prada Luna Rossa to finish!

Finally, a pretty much full on night’s rest! That was great.

Excellent shave before breakfast; Belgian waffle today! Trying to eat a bit less this morning in hopes that some authentic goodies are had later. And I’ve been pretty piggish at meals too. 😂

This was only a one night stay. We go to spend the day in Oxford now and will likely be visiting a local palace (Blenheim) and perhaps wildlife preserve. Later will be Stratford area.

Have a great day all!

Last edited:
Gear’s travel tip 3, a twofer:

Englanders may not be drinking on the job…but they’re drinking every other opportunity…or taking a smoke/vape…or both. I think I’ve gotten more 2nd hand in 4 days than the whole rest of my life combined 😂

Photo selections for the day!

Made it out to Oxford today. Didn’t realize there were so many connected separate colleges…they’re literally all over town. I think this is more what I expected London to be (London was quite a bit more modern looking in some ways).
IMG_3837.jpeg
IMG_3843.jpeg
IMG_3862.jpeg

The famous Magdalene Tower from its respective college.
IMG_3845.jpeg

A very nice botanic garden in the city.
IMG_3846.jpeg
IMG_3853.jpeg

Christchurch.
IMG_3870.jpeg

Looks like John Carter has a tombstone here, even though he’s stuck on Mars.
IMG_3871.jpeg

Continued.

Blenheim Palace, home of the Spencer-Churchill family (yes, Diana and Winston are related)…aka the Duke of Marlborough and family.
IMG_3878.jpeg
IMG_3883.jpeg
IMG_3886.jpeg
IMG_3892.jpeg
IMG_3897.jpeg

The palace library room (possibly the longest of room out of any British palace) contains a two story library and the largest/most extensive pipe organ in the country.
IMG_3901.jpeg
IMG_3906.jpeg
IMG_3915.jpeg

The man of the finest hour.
IMG_3918.jpeg

Back