The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Gibbs Adjustables and their offspring

The price is right at least!

Don't really like that safety style for a Gibbs, and of course who knows what the geometry is. But it's so cheap that it's an easy one to try.

@Dave in KY If you can buy a single knock off of a knock off of an out of production razor for $15 with free shipping then how much do you think it actually cost to make this multi-component razor given they will sell you 300 for less than $8. Amazing how capitalism works with a slave-type work force of the Chinese who just steal everyone's ideas/designs. Crazy how that $8 razor will eventually sell here for 10x that price. If that doesn't distress you take a look in your lady's closet at her $300, $400 or $1200 designer shoes ... mind blowing :unsure:

You guys that have been following this thread have been kept up to date, so no big surprises here. I would just like everything wrapped up and all in one thread.

I finished off the new version 4 last night and today was the first shave with it and it shaves just like a Gibbs should. I also decided that since the trend today is towards bigger gaps, this one was going to open up to the equivalent of 8 or 9, so I fitted the handle accordingly.
I'm going to put a few more shaves on it before I Nickel plate the adjuster plate. I also need to make a new stem to replace the one that I destroyed in order to dismantle the the razor in the first place.

I haven't got the drop-in / keep-all-original-parts-untouched version that I am looking for but I do have an awesome Gibbs ;)

SOTD200602.jpg

You guys that have been following this thread have been kept up to date, so no big surprises here. I would just like everything wrapped up and all in one thread.

I finished off the new version 4 last night and today was the first shave with it and it shaves just like a Gibbs should. I also decided that since the trend today is towards bigger gaps, this one was going to open up to the equivalent of 8 or 9, so I fitted the handle accordingly.
I'm going to put a few more shaves on it before I Nickel plate the adjuster plate. I also need to make a new stem to replace the one that I destroyed in order to dismantle the the razor in the first place.

I haven't got the drop-in / keep-all-original-parts-untouched version that I am looking for but I do have an awesome Gibbs ;)

Nice job Claudio! how did you destroy the stem?

I was thinking about this today when I used my Gibbs. One simple drop in solution would be just to not have the blade nubs, and just eyeball the alignment, which is what you do anyway if you scissor the ends of the blade. Though that might be trickier when the top cap is also free to spin.

Nice job Claudio! how did you destroy the stem?

and just eyeball the alignment, which is what you do anyway if you scissor the ends of the blade

Firstly, when I bought that particular Gibbs it was for some sort of experimentation.
For everyones info - The two bent over tabs on these Gibbs razors are the same size, so the plate fits on either way.

We know that the stem and adjuster plate are two separate pieces so I drilled the peened over piece at the top of the adjuster plate.
That left me with the thicker part at the top of the stem, which I then drilled with a bigger drill.

The eyeballing is one of the things that got me started on the notch jig - the eyes are not as young as I wish they were.....

If anyone is interested its 440 EST and there is a reasonably priced adjustable Gibbs on ebay for the next 45 minutes

I am in in to buy some if some one prints some. As long as they are not to expensive. I used my Gibbs this morning and it reminded me how much I love it.
Happy shaves
SMURF

Interesting solution. Iā€™d rather not have to trim blades, but automating the centering after trimming does make it easier than having to do it by eye. I know a lot of places today have a Co-op design space or workshop with 3D printers. It looks like my Main Public Library has a design lab that the printers are free to use, can book a 4 hour session, and only have to pay for the printing media which is 10 cents per gram. Guess Iā€™m going to have to get down there and figure out how to use a 3D printer.

I ordered some before coming here and seeing that others were interested in a group buy. Last night, I downloaded the files from Thingverse and then printed them via treatstock.com. Six sets were $5.49 (+ $4.02 shipping). They're shipping to me today. I imagine that they'll be here in a couple of days and will post a review.

Keep searching Ebay. The only reason that I bought the third brass one is that I found it as a "Buy Now" for $30 - so they do come up.

Some of them don't dial down to 1. What has happened there is that the piece with the thread has rotated slightly and you need to rotate it back.
I made the below clamp to do it. You tighten the clamp and rotate the top piece back. This is a piece of scrap nylon that I split, inserted a piece of cardboard between the two halves and drilled an 8mm hole into. All the nylon clamp does is not damage the thread while holding it.
The one that I got for $30 (mentioned above) stopped at 2.

I'll post the Notching solution tomorrow for you
Wow, great solution !

Back