The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Gibbs Adjustables and their offspring

What's the story on that soap? Looks like something you would send in your own picture for a commemorative soap.

Thanks and yes I believe that it's better.
I think you need to get to work on those shorter handles as I know you and I like the shorter handles on the Gibbs and when I had the pass around Taiga that was the only thing I was wishing for was a little bit shorter handle. My favorite length is 80 mm to 85 mm max.

Hope all is well Claudio!

I think you need to get to work on those shorter handles as I know you and I like the shorter handles on the Gibbs and when I had the pass around Taiga that was the only thing I was wishing for was a little bit shorter handle. My favorite length is 80 mm to 85 mm max.

Hope all is well Claudio!
Hey Frank, you've been quite on the boards. It sounds like you have been pushing the hours at work. Great in these testing times.

Our Post Office is considered non-essential and been closed. I've had to suspended my Etsy shop until they reopen.

I actually want to make one at 75mm as opposed to cutting that one down. It makes things easier to compare.
I hope that they listen to you and offer a shorter handle. I doubt it though. The first 100 sold like hotcakes and everyone who has one is holding onto it and raving about it. I suspect that they second lot will sell equally fast. With a formula like that, I'm not sure if I would change anything myself!!

Stay safe and stay shaving

This morning I used my Rex Ambassador

Firstly I need to state that its a "M" version.
I'm not sure why but I have been struggling with feather blades recently so I chose to use a Wizamet. By coincidence, today's blade was also on its third use - perfect.

I know this razor so well, that I know what to expect but today was a little surprised. I dialed it to 5 and set about my standard 3 pass shave plus my two normal touch-ups - but wait, after the second pass there was no need for my XTG pass. I just needed my two normal touch-ups. Today I ended up with pretty much a two pass BBS. I think that I have found the blade that suits me in the Rex.

Yes it's draggy but not uncomfortably so. Some of the drag can be alleviated with the soap choice, but I haven't found the soap that gets rid of it completely.
There is no harshness, which has probably more to do with the blade.
Its efficient - it has Gibbs roots, so what do you expect!!

From what I have read online, the drag that everyone has spoken about has been reduced in the "N" and "O" versions - can't comment.....

Other positives are the handle. Its knurling is superb, length probably slightly longer than my personal preferences and the addition of the bulbous knob that takes the balance slightly south.

sotd200421-jpg.21568

Gibbs - New Adjuster plate

My latest 15/17 adventure. This is probably the modification that most Gibbs owners want.
There are many ways to skin a cat, but whatever I thought of needed some mod to a standard part and I'm all about been able to put my "rasoir" back to standard.
While I was fixing the aluminium one above, this came to mind.

Standard Gibbs? (well lets not look at the handle section)

Gibbs_AP_01.jpg

Looking front on,
The blade gap is spot on (Its the same on the other side)

Gibbs_AP_02.jpg

As I said earlier, I would want the option of taking my Gibbs back to standard, so I made a completely new adjuster plate.
The Adjuster plate out with the two little posts and the underside of the "unmodified" topcap
The Blade is sitting on the stubby little posts.

Gibbs_AP_03.jpg

I've just swopped the top-cap for the standard adjuster plate

Gibbs_AP_04.jpg

Same picture but with the blade flipped off

Gibbs_AP_05.jpg

Another view of the adjuster plates

Gibbs_AP_06.jpg

Side on view of the adjuster plates

Gibbs_AP_07.jpg

It works perfectly but it has highlighted some issues.

And the answer to the most important question is "Just like a Gibbs"

Gibbs - New Adjuster plate

My latest 15/17 adventure. This is probably the modification that most Gibbs owners want.
There are many ways to skin a cat, but whatever I thought of needed some mod to a standard part and I'm all about been able to put my "rasoir" back to standard.
While I was fixing the aluminium one above, this came to mind.

Standard Gibbs? (well lets not look at the handle section)

View attachment 23981

Looking front on,
The blade gap is spot on (Its the same on the other side)

View attachment 23982

As I said earlier, I would want the option of taking my Gibbs back to standard, so I made a completely new adjuster plate.
The Adjuster plate out with the two little posts and the underside of the "unmodified" topcap
The Blade is sitting on the stubby little posts.

View attachment 23983

I've just swopped the top-cap for the standard adjuster plate

View attachment 23984

Same picture but with the blade flipped off

View attachment 23985

Another view of the adjuster plates

View attachment 23986

Side on view of the adjuster plates

View attachment 23987

It works perfectly but it has highlighted some issues.

And the answer to the most important question is "Just like a Gibbs"
That is awesome, Claudio!! Looks like you’ve made a perfect razor even better for a second time.

These are the issues that I found.

First issue is that I drilled the outer posts 25.6mm apart. I measured various razors got to the 25.6 but should have realized that it's a US design and patent and that 1inch would be a miles better candidate. I fixed this by filing a bit of an angle on the outer edges.

The next issue is that I made the plate out of copper. It should be brass. The rest of the pieces are brass.

The plate in the Gibbs is 1,5mm thick. The sheet of copper that I had is 1mm and this brought up the next issue.

When the adjustment dial is at 1 (fully closed), there is no blade gap. Its 3,5 is equals a standard plates blade gap is at 1. This makes perfect sense once you see it working because the pitch of the thread is 1mm. I am 0,5mm out on the plate thickness - so half a turn.
I've since adjusted it so that the gap at 1 is the same on both plates.

When I did the "bend-over" tabs, I put the adjuster plate on the bottom plate and scribed what I needed. I should have rather taken measurements..

I'll probably give version 2 a go over the weekend. I've since found a piece of 2mm brass plate. It will solve most of the above but could bring out others - lets see!!
(No I don't know if I can get 1.5mm brass, the steel merchant that I generally buy from is not open yet)

Anything new on the adjuster plate. It looks like a great idea. You are always coming up with good ideas. I would love to have a plate like this for my Gibbs because it is my favorite razor and the best I have ever used.
Happy shaves
Jason

Back