The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Gibbs Adjustables and their offspring

I ordered some before coming here and seeing that others were interested in a group buy. Last night, I downloaded the files from Thingverse and then printed them via treatstock.com. Six sets were $5.49 (+ $4.02 shipping). They're shipping to me today. I imagine that they'll be here in a couple of days and will post a review.

Looking forward to seeing how they work for you!

Gotta love the Gibbs adjustable but punching holes is, at best, a hassle. I ordered those 3D printed shims which secures the DE blade. You still need to trim the blade tabs but if you are not even it doesn't matter as the new shimmed guard will center the standard DE blade without an issue. Since these 3D printed shims add a slight thickness my impression is that the gaps are now increased by 1 so if you were comfortable using the Gibbs at 3 it seems to perform at a Gibbs 4. I had no issues with these adapters butbe careful as they are small enough to go down the drain. As I have previously posted I also use @Clouds brass extension and I cannot recommend it enough to increase handle length and balance the "head heavy" Gibbs.

IMG_1832.jpg IMG_1833.jpg IMG_1834.jpg

Gotta love the Gibbs adjustable but punching holes is, at best, a hassle. I ordered those 3D printed shims which secures the DE blade. You still need to trim the blade tabs but if you are not even it doesn't matter as the new shimmed guard will center the standard DE blade without an issue. Since these 3D printed shims add a slight thickness my impression is that the gaps are now increased by 1 so if you were comfortable using the Gibbs at 3 it seems to perform at a Gibbs 4. I had no issues with these adapters butbe careful as they are small enough to go down the drain. As I have previously posted I also use @Clouds brass extension and I cannot recommend it enough to increase handle length and balance the "head heavy" Gibbs.

View attachment 31058 View attachment 31059 View attachment 31060
Very clever!

View attachment 31058 View attachment 31059 View attachment 31060

That looks good. Does it shave as wonderful as before? If it does then I need some of them. I know I have said it before but I will say it again, the Gibbs is the best razor I have ever used.
Happy shaves
SMURF

@AJSharp - Its such a simple idea that is genius.
@Dragonsbeard - These are for you. Have you tried them yet?

I told AJ to order me a couple because like others have stated after a while it’s a hassle to try to punch holes that are even and that’s why I want to get the Taiga when it comes out because it’s the closest to the Gibbs which still remains my favorite Adjustable razor. When a blade is modified and you got it aligned properly it’s just a wonderful shaving razor! This 3 D piece is a must have.
@Claudio you need one to my friend!
😊👍🏼

I was sent the files and asked my opinion. Once I had them printed, the first person that I knew would benefit was you because I know that you cut the tabs completely off and sit with a magnifying glass.

LOL that would be me! Looking at small print on labels as gotten the best of me all these years I'll need some serious ones soon as the strongest readers are just not doing for me any longer! :ROFLMAO:

LOL that would be me! Looking at small print on labels as gotten the best of me all these years I'll need some serious ones soon as the strongest readers are just not doing for me any longer! :ROFLMAO:
No only you Frankie - Me too, hell no ME TOO.
That's exactly why I made my punch up in the first place.

Reporting back late, but these are game changers for my Gibbs as far as I'm concerned. I've not noticed a change in the level of performance (e.g., a 3 is now a 4) that @AJSharp described. I have been looking for various options to either make hole punching easier or to otherwise make adapt blades, but these shims make using a Gibbs easy-peasy. I'm using my razor much more now that I know that I can prepare a blade that I know will work in about 15 seconds.

Reporting back late, but these are game changers for my Gibbs as far as I'm concerned. I've not noticed a change in the level of performance (e.g., a 3 is now a 4) that @AJSharp described. I have been looking for various options to either make hole punching easier or to otherwise make adapt blades, but these shims make using a Gibbs easy-peasy. I'm using my razor much more now that I know that I can prepare a blade that I know will work in about 15 seconds.
Way to pour the salt in my wounds 😂

Ok it's on!
BsMlobA.jpg
Mfkbptx.jpg

The guy doing them just sent this and the batch of 100 will be done tomorrow.

Gibbs owners, you know who to PM ;)

Do those tabs make the settings different as in the highest setting is a larger gap than before?

I don't have them in hand yet, waiting for them to be shipped to me.

@bobmsp mentions it a few posts up though, sounds like it's the equivalent of turning the dial up a nock.

Very interesting and informative thread. Thanks, gentlemen.

1637429537302.png

My new Denali made quite an impression this morning.

However, the red alignment stripe totally disappeared last night when I washed the new razor in Dawn and very lightly scrubbed it with an old and soft toothbrush. That was quite a surprise. It's still a very good shaving razor if today's shave - guesstimate on #3 - is typical.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Back