The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Fluffy's Curmudgeon Corner

Saturday and Sunday’s Shave

30541D9F-D29C-437B-8763-6A86ED4F3EAA.jpeg
Allegheny Instruments Razor
Razorock 400 Badger
Vintage Williams Shave Soap
Lustray Coachman AS

4D56B50D-DED0-4C33-ADD8-8102B98CA117.jpeg
Adoration Razor
Fluffy Industries Hexagon Black Badger
Seaforth Sea Spice Lime Soap
Myrsol Agua Balsamica AS

First black Badger knot I’ve tried. It’s nice, slightly prickly but not overly so. Not sure if they “soften/split like a boar knot. Like to have some variety. Thus the two horse hair knots on deck.
Hope you are all having a good Presidents Day.
Fluffy

Monday’s Shave
2293DF29-5711-4A90-9431-346AEA442A58.jpeg
Charles R. Coates and Sons Baltimore "Ace" Razor
Fluffy Industries 86S Oumo Grey Horse Brush
DR Harris Soap
Ols Spice AS

First run with this, or any horse knot. It's interesting in that it's not as stiff as a boar knot. But upon first use the tips feel alot like a unbroken in boar.
The smell is definitely the smell of a horse. Reminds me of my days driving cattle up the Chisolm Trail to Abilene. Made good money but spent it all on cheap whiskey and cavorting with women of low moral character.
Tonight horse knot is the blonde one. Lets see if blondes are more fun. Or at least less funky smellng.
Hope you all had a good Tuesday.
Fluffy

Tabac Tuesday
2E7667C1-AC32-439E-A511-87502B3BC0C4.jpeg
Prosperity Razor
Fluffy Industries Octagon Oumo Blonde Horse
Tabac Soap and Aftershave

Well the blonde brush even after a couple soaks and cleaning lathers still has a bit of barnyard ambiance. Luckily I’ve spent a fair amount of time in barns so no biggie. Both horse knots are pretty similar. A lot more “floppy” than any of my other knots. Not bad, just different. Slightly prickly we’ll see if they soften up with use.
Hope you are all having a good Wednesday.
Fluffy

Wednesday’s Shave
6C484609-5804-442F-B2C0-CC812D296136.jpeg
FW Engels Red Star Razor
Fluffy Industries 86S Grey Horse Hair Oumo
AV AS

Nice shave with the old Williams. The Horse knot has lost most of it odor. And is not bad to use. A little more floppy than any of my other brushes.
As the hairs are much less stiff.
Thanks for reading.
Fluffy

Thursday’s Shave

No Pic……. :0

Wilkinson Empire Razor
Seaforth Spiced Shave Soap
Old Spice AS

Had a early shave with the new to me Wilkinson SE razor. Had to be back in to work at 2200hrs.
And left my phone downstairs. So no pic or video.
I apologize to any of my throng of adoring fans.
I was going to hold off on the first use till I could film it properly. But it was just too shiny and tempting. The razor is in really good nick. And the blades are all in very good shape, but for one of the 7 with a big chip in it.
I took one of the blades to the stones and did what I would normally do to a new to me straight.
After about half an hour I got it to where I wanted it. The one thing missing from my set is the strop for the self stropping aspect of this razor.
So I used my paddle strop and fingers to give it a little post hone strop.
The result was a shave that was interesting and fun. Though not quite as sharp as I like.
The blade is nice but not up to my standards.
So it shall be touched up. And the second shave will be filmed and posted up.
Initial thoughts on the Wilkinson Empire Self Stropping Razor.
It’s top heavy. Takes a bit of getting used to. The loading of the blades takes a good bit of care to do without possibly damaging them. But once you do it a few times that shouldn’t be an issue.
The adjustment of the roller guard for aggressiveness. Works very well. And the roller guard helps the razor glide around your face. While leaving the soap in place for the blade to use. In general I like it. Once I get the blades honed up to snuff. Then I’ll be using it occasionally to switch things up.

In other news I’ve been back in Daddy’s Girl since 2200 Thursday. And as of this time 0430 Friday.
Sock Puppet Bob, Mini Me, AST Barbie and I are out on ice patrol. Alas the road temp gauge is averaging 37 degrees. And if my remember my 4th grade science class that means ice is not in the offing just yet. So we will remain on the route patrolling it like a great white shark looking for sea lions, seals or maybe a girl in a bikini.
Hope all of you have a Good Friday.
Fluffy

Friday’s Shave
CAC07BD2-C5B1-43A9-9330-E4B42C0FA9AF.jpeg
Occam Nano Schick P30 (1)
Seaforth Spiced Soap and Aftershave

Did a easy safety razor shave on account of no sleep thru Thursday night. Because “Safety is a full time job”.
Heading out early in the am to my side gig doing security at the Synagogue. Hang out with some nice people and make a little extra money.
Have a good Saturday guys.
Fluffy

Monday’s Shave
723E1D94-D507-4C2D-A181-DBECD0EF9646.jpeg
Wilkinson Self Stropping Razor
Fluffy Industries Hexagon Black Badger Brush
Stirling Hipster Soap
Pitralon Classic AS

Getting to know the Wilkinson razor pretty well.
Zeroing on a good method of honing the wedge blades it uses.
The Oumo black Badger is a nice knot. Though still a bit prickly to use.
Hope you all had a good Monday.
Fluffy

Williams Wednesday
B90DD313-2044-4D1F-B8D2-AE7E0E048B0D.jpeg

Korrat 14 2.0 Razor
Fluffy Industries 86 Oumo Boar Brush
AV AS

Wanted to get back to my straights for a few shaves. Actually getting slightly frustrated with the Wilkinson razor. Having only been able to a achieve sub standard sharpness in my honing of its blades. Going to give it a break and come back to it in a few days. This is supposed to be fun right? I think the angle I am honing at is the culprit. Going to put my hypothesis to the test.
Hope you all made it to midweek in good nick.
Fluffy

Thursday’s Shave

JJ5oEL2.jpg

C-Mon Hand Forged Razor
DR Harris Arlington Soap
Fluffy Industries Octagon Blonde Horse
Old Spice AS

Skippy shave all around. The horse hair knots from Oumo are working out nicely. The C-Mon razor is as nice to use as it is pretty to look at.

Like my whiskers are being wiped off instead of cut. Even my billy goat grey chin whiskers. Are removed with ease. The C-Mon is one of my pinnacle razors.

Hope you all have a Good Friday.

Fluffy

Back