The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Fluffy's Curmudgeon Corner

Maryland998

"TSC's Spice Trader"
Veteran
Have been on here for a bit. And this place has grown on me.
Enjoy checking in.
The banter and free exchange of ideas and thoughts.
You guys are a good bunch. My "bright spot" so to speak.
And especially this past week. The arrival and exploration the soap sample pass around.
This has kept me in a good mood most of the week.
But there is always a Yang to the Ying. The universe will find a way to balance things out.
So my good vibes got it's course correction. When just before I was ready to head out the door for work. My wife's cat decided to PUKE on my coat. Thanks a lot you wretched bastard.
Undaunted I headed out the door to work. A place that I have worked at for 22+years.
A little about me:
I work for my county DPW here in Maryland. Drive a dumptruck. Plow snow. Pave roads. Flag traffic. Cut up trees. And the highlight of my life. Pick up dead animals off the road.
Chicks dig that the most. "What is that cologne you have on mister?" Ask the girl when your getting a coffee at the Wawa.
Me "Oh that's the spooge that leaked out of the deer onto my boot, when I threw it into my pick up."
Had lots of jobs before this one. Those stories will possibly follow. When they may be insightful to how I approach life.
I don't take myself too serious. Self deprecating humor is my default.
Am not PC. But can take and do appreciate constructive criticism.
If you agree with me great. If you don't, let me hear that too.
I plan to post up about our shared hobby. Wet shaving. And to vent about things in my little part of the world.
Back to this day:
My work day went fine. My afternoon was better.
I've posted up my SOTD Grabbed one of my favorite blades. Why is it your favorite you ask?
Well that's because it's "Super Extra Special Made" that is why. I mean it don't get any more special than that unless your one of Jerry's kids.
The soap from the sample was very nice. It's on the "want" list.
Then later a good friend from a part time job I had at Advance Auto Parts stopped by my row house. To check out the sample box.
I have taken him under my tutelage and got him going with DE razors and a brush and a bunch of soap. Now I am being a bad influence and setting him on the path to Soap Acquisition Disorder.
So it (day) ended on a positive note.

Let's see what the coming day may bring.
Fluffy

Great first post! You had me chuckling a little bit. Especially the cat part. My wife has a cat that she had before we even started dating, but it always lived at her parents house. Well the cat burned her last bridge at my in-laws and my wife wanted to bring her to our house when we got married. I'm allergic to cat's, so naturally she brought the cat anyway. Everyday I wake up looking like I had been in a boxing match the previous night, and everyday I look at that cat with annoyance. I understand where you are coming from. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Do you get points for mailboxes? I don't mean to offend, if that's considered rude. Or perhaps the game is not played down in Maryland?

Regardless, welcome to the journals. I look forward to reading along.

. . . oh, and is a wing shot worth more than the front plow?

Morning folks. Guess I'll answer you guys questions seriatim.

Yes Chris, I try and find and use humor to get through life. At 50 I'm not old and not young. I am between the trenches in the battle of life.

Well Brew lets just say mailboxes on my route generally should be of sturdy construction. Points are not awarded however though. Didn't even get points for a big ass brick mailbox I got 'bout 18-19 years ago. No folks brick and mortar cannot withstand the wrath of Fluffy. Member all them Mike Tyson fights. Over before it started. Just stick a 2X4 in the ground and bungie cord the box to it. Lot easier and cheaper to put back up.
People around theses parts and on District Route 34.
Unfortunately are not very understanding or handy. So when any inconvenience in their self absorbed lives happens. Their first instinct is to call the county. And report whatever the problem is and immediately demand that someone come to fix it for them. And there has been a persistent rumor/fairy tale. By my supervision that they (public) are my #1 "customer" or "boss".
In 22 years and counting I have yet to verify this rumor. And place it firmly in the Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster and locally Chessie folder.
And we don't have wing plows on any of our trucks. You can't trust someone like me with high tech gadgets like that. Besides if I had 2 plows they'd expect me to get twice as much plowed.

Yea Dave I'm a WaWa guy. But Royal Farms is pushing hard. Lots of places here in my county have dueling corners. They build right across or within sight of each other.
Some college boy marketing jackwagons prolly think they are being "corporate bad asses" by doing that. It's just dumb.

Nurse Dave your more than welcome to come my way and hang out. I could get you a ride in Daddy's Girl. Would have to really get lucky to be here at the same time it snows.
But I'll teach you the snow dance Liz Warren taught me. And maybe...all your dreams will come true. Hers too President Warren. Didn't say it was my dream. Just hers.

Yea Don. Tang is a real Jekyll and Hyde sum bitch. Somehow I think he knows that my wife is his Don Corleone. And is protected from retribution. I've actually spent time here and there mulling over ways to "make it look like an accident". But then I let him curl up with me in bed with me. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Finished my coffee. Now I got to get off my lazy ass to mail out some soap to a couple of people I've never met in person but have met in the make believe world called the "Internet"

Then I have to install a high hat light in my shower. That should be easy or.....

Fluffy out.

Last edited:
Well folks I'm back. I know that was quick, right? Well the post office is only about 3 clicks from my front door.
Soap is all sent out. It is now in the hands of the skilled men and women of the USPO. Neither rain or sleet or snow shall stop your samples in their appointed rounds. Or something to that effect.

Now unfortunately you get to hear the rambling of a certified curmudgeon. Feel free to ignore them at any time.

Just outside of all our front doors are many wondrous things. Some good some bad.
My recurring theme. Everything balances out. In order for me to do things I enjoy I'll have to put up with some crap. This morning is a case study in such things.

So I box up the soap for Don and Ken AKA jellodancer. Finish my coffee and head out to my truck. 2008 Tundra. Love my truck. Fire up my 5.7 liter 381 HP testosterone chariot and out the court I roll.
On a mission to do some cool shit and ship some soap across the country for other bad asses like me . To use like the men folk of old with real razors. Not these multi blade moisture strip craptastic things the girly men use.

And something hits my nose. A smell.... I know that smell. No not shave soap. Dog Shit! I stepped in some and now my truck is filling with the aroma of it. F me.
The mission must succeed so I press on. Use the lawn of the post office to wipe off the offending substance that was once in bowels of a dog. And head in.
While waiting in line. (hoping someone doesn't think I don't wipe effectively} I have the good fortune to see a dude that is completely lost on how to use the packing tape gun, they loaned him to seal up his box.
His daughter is with him. Several minutes pass. Not being able to stand it anymore. I offer to help him out. He surrenders the instrument that has just proven to him and his daughter that he'll
never be cool.
Now it's my turn to wow him and her. In about 30 seconds I fix the incorrectly routed tape in the gun and tape up his box like a boss. "There you go" I say.
I'm not sure what cosmic ripples were set off from this encounter. Will the daughter lose respect for her father? Run off with some guy like me cause he knew how to change the windshield wipers on her car that daddy bought her for her sixteenth birthday. Who knows. Maybe the shame of it all will have him sitting in a therapists office. Who knows.

That's it right? Wrong brother there is more to this trip. You cannot make this up. I am NOT embellishing the story.

Upon return to my humble abode. There on the sidewalk leading to my front door is the remnants of dog crap smushed to the concrete. It was from my very own dog.
Then the truth the horror of what had occurred hit me. Key the dramatic music. Now I have a decision to make people.

Because a day or two ago. My wife advised me that my dog needed his ass shaved because dingle berries were becoming an issue and she didn't want Klingons falling off in the house.
Well the Klingon jumped ship on my sidewalk, and I then stepped in it. So now all you married guys know the decision.

Do I tell her what happened so she can take a victory lap and tell me for the thousandth time that I should listen to her and not procrastinate. Or keep it to myself?

I leave it to you. The Cadre, to determine my fate. Vote Yay or Nay.
I will respect the results. Guess this makes my blog interactive.

Fluffy out.

Back