The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Feather SS clone pass around.....maybe?

As you can tell, I didn’t plan it out. I just decided to throw the Feather in on the fly. But I did not enjoy the clone and will not be using it again.

Will be testing the Kai clone for maybe one more shave though.

SOTD 8.12.19

Feather SS clone
Feather pro (2)
TSC 1st anniversary brush "Talon"
CBL Breakfast Blend
Thayers Coconut Water
Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods

View attachment 7362

Been a busy morning at the office but here's my shave. It was time for a go with the Feather SS clone from the pass around. It took down a couple days growth no problem for a smooth and easy BBS shave. I will say however that I do not like this razor. Coming from a traditional straight razor point of view the tang is way to long. Makes holding the razor feel super awkward. The scales around the pivot are also a bit wider than is comfortable. Add to that the balance being very much towards the scales and it just feels odd for the whole shave. I did get the pivot tightened up a bit so it isn't floppy but still not as snug as it should be. I'm thinking it's something about the construction of it.

Between the two I'd have to say I very much prefer the kai clone. It's better balanced and feels better to me overall.

I think it was and indexing thing. I'm just used to my thumb being right behind the heel of the blade.

Good write up. I'm wondering if it is due to the clone being sub par or if you would feel the same about the Feather SS as well.

Thanks for the opportunity, but after using my Feather for a couple weeks I decided to stick to DEs.

1. gvw755
2. Dave in KY
3. Spider
4. uacowboy
5. dangerousdon
6. GearNoir
7. Luecke3262

1. gvw755 - Complete
2. Dave in KY - Complete
3. Spider - Complete
4. uacowboy - Complete
5. dangerousdon - Enroute
6. GearNoir
7. Luecke3262

Razor: Feather SS Clone
Blade: Feather Professional AC Proguard (New Blade)
Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium Extra Stainless (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water - Coconut Sandalwood
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine - Platinum

08222019.jpg

Sorry it took so long to post guys.

This is from my journal this morning...or at least part of it...

Today I also pulled out John's @The Monkey Feather SS Clone that he is graciously loaning the Cadre to test out! I have always wondered about a straight style AC type razor and today I got my shot. I decided to use a guarded blade as I am prone to going in hot with a straight! You today was no exception. I pretty much did a full WtG pass and a 2nd XtG pass with the SS Clone. All in all I think it went fairly well. I did say I have a propensity to come in hot with a straight. Yup...I proved that you can cut yourself with a guarded blade! Caught the right side of my chin as I was trying to shave my neck. I will say that there was very little blood...but it is sore as hell. I guess it is more of a blunt trauma wound than an acute laceration. Not sure...not a doctor...I just think I am. Mr. @bentheduck will have to do a street-side diagnosis and then rush me to the hospital in his Wee Woo Box (after charging me $3,000), and then @NurseDave can tell me to fill out a bunch of forms and wait three hours before the doc can see me. 🤪

First use of this guy seemed to be pretty interesting. I will have to say...not having to worry...as much...about slicing my face actually helped a lot. Folding straights are still a little unwieldy for me...but this guy is pretty light and balanced. I actually like it a good bit...I just have to master it a bit. I'll get more shaves from it very soon!

Back