The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Everyone Loves Sumo!!!

The Yokozuna Deliberation Council Met on 11/28/2023, here are the findings from Twitter and various sources:
  1. Terunofuji: it's regrettable that he did not participate. They expect him to show up in Hatsu.
  2. If Terunofuji is still absent in Hatsu, they will "comment". If you wonder if what they are saying isn't a "comment", well, they just gave him a "wait and see". Next time it might be one of the dreaded "three recommendations", or just a free-form opinion. Bottom line: tick-tock.
  3. Kirishima: They praised his yusho, saying it was impressive. In January, "If he has a respectable yusho, winning in an imposing way, and the shimpan department sees fit to present him as yokozuna candidate, we will look at it favorably".
  4. They are not setting any required records, because "it's a different story if the Yokozuna is back, and if he isn't. We would like to see what results Kirishima has if the Yokozuna is there".
  5. Hoshoryu: They admonished him for delaying his tachiai for 1 minute 20 seconds in the Gonoyama match. "I have been watching sumo since primary school and I've never seen anybody take that long". They called it "ugly" & disappointing from one expected to become Yokozuna.
  6. They asked the NSK and Hoshoryu's heya oyakata to correct his behavior. "We have seen him practice hard, and also coach his less senior fellow rikishi, but he should correct this one point".
  7. Takakeisho: "Opinions varied about whether a 11-4 yusho was worthy. Personally, I think he fulfilled his responsibility as an Ozeki. We were hoping he would do well this basho, but this is the world of combat sports, and it wasn't to be".

HAKIO!!!

The Yokozuna Deliberation Council Met on 11/28/2023, here are the findings from Twitter and various sources:
  1. Terunofuji: it's regrettable that he did not participate. They expect him to show up in Hatsu.
  2. If Terunofuji is still absent in Hatsu, they will "comment". If you wonder if what they are saying isn't a "comment", well, they just gave him a "wait and see". Next time it might be one of the dreaded "three recommendations", or just a free-form opinion. Bottom line: tick-tock.
  3. Kirishima: They praised his yusho, saying it was impressive. In January, "If he has a respectable yusho, winning in an imposing way, and the shimpan department sees fit to present him as yokozuna candidate, we will look at it favorably".
  4. They are not setting any required records, because "it's a different story if the Yokozuna is back, and if he isn't. We would like to see what results Kirishima has if the Yokozuna is there".
  5. Hoshoryu: They admonished him for delaying his tachiai for 1 minute 20 seconds in the Gonoyama match. "I have been watching sumo since primary school and I've never seen anybody take that long". They called it "ugly" & disappointing from one expected to become Yokozuna.
  6. They asked the NSK and Hoshoryu's heya oyakata to correct his behavior. "We have seen him practice hard, and also coach his less senior fellow rikishi, but he should correct this one point".
  7. Takakeisho: "Opinions varied about whether a 11-4 yusho was worthy. Personally, I think he fulfilled his responsibility as an Ozeki. We were hoping he would do well this basho, but this is the world of combat sports, and it wasn't to be".

HAKIO!!!
Great summary here also

As to Hoshoryu he really hurt his chances I feel for Yokozuna, time will need to pass and he will need to clean up his "Respect me no matter what" attitude.

Hoshoryu definite didn’t do himself any favors with his behavior. The council is looking for Yokozunas to embody all that is good and traditional in all things. Definitely blew an attitude interview question.

Is Hoshoryo that high up in the Yokozuna conversation anyway though?
They are desperate for a new Yokozuna. He wins a Basho it'll definitely be talked about, but I think Kirishima is the next Yokozuna, since Takakeisho (their favorite due to being Japanese) can't piece back to back wins together.

@CVargo any interest in a sumo contest for bragging rights? I'd be happy to learn how you guys were doing it and run it if you want.

@CVargo any interest in a sumo contest for bragging rights? I'd be happy to learn how you guys were doing it and run it if you want.
I just create a Google form. If you want to run it feel free. I was going to try and make one this weekend if not

The rumors are we are going to get Terunofuji back this basho. I'd love to see him win and then hang it up...go out on top so to speak BUT ALSO! I want to see Kirishima guarantee the promotion this basho.

Totally game to play, but have zero skills making spreadsheets beyond Excel 5.0. And that was so long ago I’ve forgotten most of that. 😁

Back