The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

"End of the World" or "Apocalyptic" themed thread!

This event does teach us that you better have what you need stored away well before a crisis hits because you don't want to have to be searching for it and finding empty shelves. I have plans for this stuff, but I'm rethinking a lot of them just witnessing this COVID-19 crisis.
This is me. I'm rethinking even though we have 2-3 weeks of TP and no we haven't gone and cleared any shelves. We keep stock on hand always on staples. I will enlarge the list though. Crazy if people can't get by for a few weeks if something happens..........

Well, I think there’s a middle ground in there somewhere. To live in an advanced society part of the deal is that jobs become specialized. And not everyone can hunt and gather any longer.

I read a government report a while back that spoke about fatalities should the grid go down. It was estimated that 60% of the population in the US would be dead in the first year. It also stated that there is only a 48 hour supply of food in any given city in the US. This has all come crashing into my brain this past week. I kinda doubted the 60% figure, but now I really do see it. No TP.....well, every body will be doing their business outside and that just causes a whole host of diseases and issues. Then when winter hits there's millions that wouldn't know how to start a fire without a match or lighter let alone build a shelter or boil water to drink. Just imagine if people couldn't get fuel, food, access to their money, no TV or internet or phone service. It's made me rethink a lot of things. How well am I prepared for events like these? What supplies would I take if I had 10 minutes to bug-out of my home? This event does teach us that you better have what you need stored away well before a crisis hits because you don't want to have to be searching for it and finding empty shelves. I have plans for this stuff, but I'm rethinking a lot of them just witnessing this COVID-19 crisis.

We've become soft as a nation. Skills that we used to have to use to live daily are long forgotten. Who even knows how to process wild game and dry meat for storage anymore? Who even has an axe at there house to chop firewood? Do you have it figured out how you make it home if you can't drive? Most have none of these skills anymore. I think it's time many should start learning them again. If you live in a city, better come up with a plan to get out of there within the first 8 hours after something catastrophic happens. While everyone else is heading to Costco to fight over the last roll of TP, you could be on the highway leading your family to a safer place. After 48 hours the highways will be gridlocked with like minded people all trying to get out of the city. Seriously folks, you need to think this stuff through and this minor COVID-19 crisis is a sneak peak to wake some of us up. I'm not a prepper so to speak, but I really strongly believe in being prepared in a sensible way.
Living in Hurricane Alley, I have been through a natural disaster or two. The wife and I have a plan for Hurricanes and floods, but this is something altogether different. And my disaster plan has a bunch of holes in it...so it's back to the drawing board.

I found one in my old kit. 24 single ply sheets. I think they tried to make them 2 ply, but they wouldn’t stick together. It was a good thing MRE’s clogged me up.
Rich I honestly think that was the “plan”...in the Canadian Military they were called “IMP”...same, same “social” experiment...LOL.Come out of the field, clean kit, spend three days sitting on the bowl!

It was a good thing MRE’s clogged me up.

The old saying goes......MRE stands either for "Meal Ready to Exit" or "Meal Refusing to Exit" :LOL:

Well, I think there’s a middle ground in there somewhere.

This seems logical, but where is that middle ground? I know plenty of people who couldn't get a good fire started even with a bic lighter. I think 70 years ago everyone could do some basic things to keep themselves alive, but today technology has allowed us to not have those skills or I guess not need those skills. There's skills I'm ashamed that I don't know more about like edible plants. I know a handful, but there's thousands of plants, seeds, etc. that can provide all our nutritional needs (as they did for our aboriginal ancestors in archaic and paleo times). So how does a city dweller with none of this background survive? I think there are a few things he or she could do:

Learn how to move around urban areas as a "gray" man. You need to be average and forgettable. Too flashy and people will want what you have or what they think you might have.

Have a plan on how to get out of urban areas to a safer location. This might be a relative somewhere in the country, or the family cabin in the woods. Avoid areas that others will be heading out to or you'll just have the same urban problems in a new location.

Have a food plan ahead of a massive disaster. How would you ration food? Figure out what foods store well and keep enough on hand for a few weeks.

Have a plan to get home form work should it not be possible to drive home. I've had my route all worked out for a long while. It will take me 2 days to get there on foot and my vehicle has all that I need stowed in it every day to get me there. I carry a go bag into work everyday that has what I need to survive incidents in the building and equips me to be able to leave on foot if necessary.

Think about what you'd pull together in 15 or 20 minutes if that's all you had to gather stuff. I read an article once about a guy who was given 10 minutes for his family to collect essentials and get out. It was amazing what he / they forgot - simple but important stuff.

Make sure you have a good but compact medical kit in your vehicle or at your home. This should have stuff like a tourniquet and strips to seal up large cuts. Mine has the ability to treat gunshot wounds as well (blow-out kit).

Have some cheap BIC lighters that you save for just such emergencies. Even once the fluid is gone, the flint sparker can ignite things to get a fire going. Fire allows you to boil water-boiled water keeps you hydrated. Fire keeps you warm.

Notice none of these things involve hunting, or having a cement bunker with an air tube and ham radio. There's a lot city people can do to help themselves out and have a better chance of weathering something 80 times worse than COVID-19. I'd love to see some good come out of this thing happening and see Americans get more prepared once this thing blows over. I for one will be making adjustments to my plans having had a taste of how quickly the panic gripped the masses.

Back