The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

elmerPHuD's Videos

I guess I don't get it. I can understand steaming your face instead of using a washcloth prior to the shave. But you've got your face covered with lather that holds moisture through the whole shave. Even after you take a stroke, there's a soap film left there. Plus rinsing between each pass. I'm not sure how much difference there would be adding in steam.

I guess I don't get it.
It interested me since I see some barbers on YT doing it. I am not sure of the science, but I can tell you it felt amazing. I think it is one of those things you have to experience for yourself. It remains to be seen how often I will do it.

1st off Todd, Nicely produced video. However you mentioned "Barbers" during this and I need to clarify as a Master Barber, so any new shavers or folks contemplating this should understand and not cause injury, especially if using a Straight blade.

Any barber whom is using this, or more readily the professional version of this steam ( with a stalk ) unit, is literally charging a premium for NOTHING, and taking their money. especially if used during a shave. The fact that doing a pass with an active hydration is essentially taking and thinning the lather, reducing slickness, and with the added heat removing moisture from the skin ( I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but I will explain later.) The only reason to use this is for a specific treatment such as after the shave , and before applying, and during an complete exfoliation mask, i.e. charcoal or mud mask. To this end it is always followed by a deep moisturization to put back what the steam has taken out. This to be done AFTER a Shave, not before

A true "Barber" shave consist of washing the face, applying an essential fragranced shave oil followed by a hot steam towel to capture not only the oil as it emulsifies wit the steam but to "TRAP" it on the skin to soften the whiskers and protect the skin as shaving does cause microscopic damage. The towel should be tight to the face, again to concentrate the Heat, and the key word is heat. The water and steam are secondary to facilitate that transfer of heat, not the moisture. This followed by at least two more more hot towels between passes. Never using steam during, as it will cause blade chatter as well and it would remove all the goodness in the lather. This is then followed by one more hot towel then a facial massage with a very hydrating cream to place the moisture back in and to repair shaving damage, another hot towel to seal, followed by an aftershave balm, again replacing moisture, and then an astringent ( commonly an alcohol based aftershave) then immediately a COLD towel ( 52 degrees or less) to shock the pores, seal the shave, and prepare the skin for talc. Talc is followed and then a fragrance if desired. This is a time tested method around for hundred of years by barbers. the addition of a steamer is a marketing gimmick, copied from high end salons, for "facials" but does nothing for the shave.

At home the best is a pre-shave Shower to clean and you never want to exfoliate prior to a shave unless you want irritation, that should be done after or between shaves, or you can cause real skin damage. Many shave irritation issues are caused by this very factor. A good shower and steam towel is all that is needed for most home shavers.

So although it was a good Video, from a barbers perspective it, and the use of a facial steamer is NOT recommended, unless you are post shave and doing a exfoliating mask and facial. Not to mention steam if used wrong can be damaging. Just ask any fire fighter what " Steam Conversion" is.

YMMV, of course, but I wanted to comment from a Professional standpoint. This will be demonstrated in a live Shave on Zoom on July 10 with @uacowboy

I guess I don't get it. I can understand steaming your face instead of using a washcloth prior to the shave. But you've got your face covered with lather that holds moisture through the whole shave. Even after you take a stroke, there's a soap film left there. Plus rinsing between each pass. I'm not sure how much difference there would be adding in steam.
OMG! You mean he’s using an actual steamer...like the kind you use to freshen up the curtains? Now I gotta watch this. I thought he was talking about using a steamer to make hot towels. A clothes steamer is right up there with “hey mom watch this” as the kid who’s been under quarantine for one too many days shows mom he’s figured out he can use the treadmill to do tricks on his skateboard. I tried steaming a shirt while wearing it ONCE...I no longer have steamer privileges but I do remember how bad it hurt.

I avoid hot water all together myself, hot water and steam lead to irritation for me. I tried the hot towel once and I didn’t dislike the experience but it didn’t wow me either (still got irritation). I know others can do it and enjoy it so I don’t judge or begrudge...just accept. But a steamer I gotta see.

Don't let us get you down Todd! If you like it, do it. Heck, I'd even lower the lights, put on some Yanni and drop a little lavender oil on your video light. Zen it up brother!

I'd even lower the lights, put on some Yanni and drop a little lavender oil on your video light.
The steamer actually has a holder thingy where the steam comes out and comes with these little square pads you can drop oil on. However, I probably will not see it for some time as my wife and daughter have been wanting one. No Yanni for me. Maybe Enya. Most likely Mandolin Orange or some Byzantine Orthodox liturgies. I got my first and only hot towel shave last summer while visiting my brother. We went to the Derby City Chop Shop. They are the folks that do the Small Batch Shave Tonic. I was all prepared to chill. Unfortunately they were playing thrash/rage metal the entire time.

@CBLindsay I used an actual facial steamer. However, I talk about another video on YT where a guy does use a clothes/curtain steamer.
@NurseDave I watched the video, thanks for making it sound like the guy was steaming his face off with a commercial grade curtain steamer. I was all set for carnage and got ionic steamer / scent diffuser / cloud maker (being used during a thunder storm). Now I don't know how to feel, I am so confused. I have seen those before (Once or twice at the thrift store too) but I always thought I was supposed to put my face in the the little urinal cup shaped thing to get the intended effect and that cup is SMALL and face face is HUGE so I never gave it a second glance. Todd, you never even tried putting your face into it, you just placed it the recommended distance from your face and went to town).

I am still a no go on steam because I don't like heat (cool mist would be nice) BUT it did have TWO strong features ...One, it replced the need for the spray bottle and we all know I dislike the spray bottle to the face. Two, it seemed to enhance the distribution of aroma, which really makes sense from a scent science perspective. If it had a hot/cold mist option and wasnt very intrusive it might make a good addittion to the den just to fill the air with some humidity do help with scent alone

@BarberDave Thank you. I was wondering what your take would be on it. Thanks for dropping the science. That would be a great topic for you to cover - barber scams.
It's ALL a scam Todd. We don't need no stinking barbers. (I jest) I favor a well educated professional who is dedicated to their craft and willing to learn any time.
**Funny side story**
We all know hos the barber used to be the official town dentist, surgeon etc (not just by default but because they usually had skills of some sort). Well, my mom used to be part of a small international program that was very much like what is now known as Dr without borders. Once, she and very small group flew down south of our border (deep mexico but not beyond) to do work in a small town/village area. The work was intended to be focused on Ear, Nose and throat work and even had pre-screen and identified paitents but as always was the case in every country and location once the locals (local being as far away as 2-3 days walk or transportation) would bring their children for care and my mom's crew would do what they could until supplies were gone. The crew flew in on a small cesna type plane, only 4 plus pilot. Overwhelmed by people in need and finding a very clear additional need for basic dental extractions the primary doctor decided it prudent to train the pilot in dental extractions. over the course of the few days they were there the pilot ended up doing dozens of adult dental extractions on parents who had brought their kids for care. Not quite a barber scam but there's a link in there somewhere.

Nice video Todd! Never seen a steamer used before, at least in videos (never had a real barbershop shave from a master barber).

When Zaharoff was just getting kickstarted a few years ago, I got to correspond personally with George a couple times, after reviving a Pour Homme fragrance sample. Nice guy and good a customer service. His personal note touches are nice. The frag scent itself was good to me, though not stand-out.

Nice video Todd! Never seen a steamer used before, at least in videos (never had a real barbershop shave from a master barber).

When Zaharoff was just getting kickstarted a few years ago, I got to correspond personally with George a couple times, after reviving a Pour Homme fragrance sample. Nice guy and good a customer service. His personal note touches are nice. The frag scent itself was good to me, though not stand-out.
Well consider that your invite for one

I enjoyed the video Todd! as to the scent of the soap seeming stronger, there is some science to that.

A while back i was watching a science YT channel and they were answering questions from viewers. One question was, and i kid you not, "why do my farts stink more in the shower?"

Basically it came down to the increased humidity and to some extent the increased heat actually does cause your nose to be able to pick up smells better and so things will have a more intense smell in hot and humid(steamy air).

Now just imagine what that means for all those folks around @dangerousdon when he decides to be "That Guy" lol

Back