The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Down in the Heart of Texas!

Journal Entry 151
(DE:58 SE:33 SR:47)

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Razor: Gong Razor 5/8
Blade:
Brush:
Stirling Badger
Bowl: CC Copper Bowl
Soap: Zingari Man- The Soloist
Post-Shave 1: Stirling Alum
Post-Shave 2: Zingari Man- The Soloist Recovery splash
Aftershave: Zingari Man- The Soloist Balm
Moisturizer: Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Talc: None
Fragrance: Stirling- Gentleman

Results:

Nice shave although not BBS. Stubborn chin whiskers. I don’t normally use balms, but I love the scent of this soap so much that I will always use it. Also, Zingari Man’s post-shaves are really soothing and make my face feel great.
4D9E5AA8-4408-4010-9F2C-081E97382F3F.jpeg

Reminding me that I need to swap my Zingari Healers soap out at some point, hopefully find something that my skin doesn’t react to. Love the Zingari base!

I have gotten a lot of great advice and @CBLindsay was kind enough to help get me started by selling me a few synthetics for a great price. I am going to go with a synthetic progression from 1K (bevel set), 4K, 6K (with slurry), 12K, and then finish on a Black Arkansas. I’m going to see how that does and depending on the results I may even strop on a couple pasted balsa strops before going to linen and leather.
Perhaps more than anything else, SRs seem to be a study in patience. I confess that I lack the patience for properly honing a blade for shaving. Add that to my inherent caution around straights (owing to a childhood cut from my grandfather's SR), and you'll find me happily using my Vector. Enjoy your shaves, Pat.

There has been an influx of Zingari Man soaps around here lately. It seems that I need to get on the bandwagon!
Thanks Don. I really like the soap base. Maggard’s carries almost all of their soaps and post-shaves. The Soloist is only available at West Coast Shaving though.

Perhaps more than anything else, SRs seem to be a study in patience. I confess that I lack the patience for properly honing a blade for shaving. Add that to my inherent caution around straights (owing to a childhood cut from my grandfather's SR), and you'll find me happily using my Vector. Enjoy your shaves, Pat.
SR’s definitely take patience, and I am still learning a lot, but I love them. Shaving is very zen for me and especially so when using a straight. I am really debating on getting a Max Sprecher straight razor. I am still shopping around, but I would like an 8/8 US straight razor.

Journal Entry 152
(DE:58 SE:33 SR:48)

Razor: Fromm No. 72 6/8
Blade:
Brush:
AP Shave Co. Gelousy Badger
Soap: DG- Darkfall
Post-Shave 2: Stirling Witch Hazel, Aloe, Tea Tree splash
Aftershave: DG- Darkfall splash
Talc: None
Fragrance: Mont Blanc

Results:

Second time using this soap and I really enjoy this scent. It is like walking outside during a cold fall day. The foliage changing, the smell of the dew in the morning, coupled with the smell of a fire in the background and a hint of sweetness to pull it together. Aside from the scent, this Milksteak vase is a joy to use. Declaration Grooming has a few scents in different wheelhouses and I highly recommend giving them a try.
D1B45170-54F5-455F-9E63-BE01E56AD2EF.jpeg

Second time using this soap and I really enjoy this scent. It is like walking outside during a cold fall day. The foliage changing, the smell of the dew in the morning, coupled with the smell of a fire in the background and a hint of sweetness to pull it together.
Interesting! I would have said that almost described their After The Rain (minus smoke and rain instead of dew). Sounds good!

Interesting! I would have said that almost described their After The Rain (minus smoke and rain instead of dew). Sounds good!
I like the smoke a lot in this soap. It is not as strong as Texas on Fire, which I like, but I feel bad wearing ToF aftershave to work.

Journal Entry 152
(DE:58 SE:34 SR:48)

Razor: Occam OREN
Blade: Feather ProGuard (1)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: Stirling- Deton 8
Post-Shave 2: Stirling Witch Hazel, Aloe, Tea Tree splash
Aftershave: Stirling- Deton 8 splash