The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Down in the Heart of Texas!

Patelliott

"I NEED NurseDave's Energy"
TSC Community,

I figured I would give it a shot at a shave journal after reading some of y'alls this weekend. I also thought it may be fun to track my own shaves and see if there is anything y'all are doing that I don't do or should improve on. I liked how some of y'all do an update on your shave and then give an update on the homefront, so I think I will do the same.

Background:

I first got into wet shaving when I became a supervisor at UPS. There all management and drivers have to be clean shaven everyday. Prior to that I had grown a beard and had not shaved in about 4 years. I started out with a cartridge and gillete gel in a can, but I kept getting razor burn and ingrown hairs. Then I switched to an electric trimmer, but UPS said that was not good enough.

So I went to Walmart to browse their shaving section and saw a Vander Haagen starter kit. It had the bowl, brush, stand, and soap. Convienently right next to it was the DE razor. I bought the kit, razor, Aqua Velva blue aftershave and shaved right before work. I had no idea how to lather so my first shave was really rough.

Fast forward three months and hundreds of hours of research and I had bought a straight razor, strop, badger brush, three new soaps, new aftershave without alcohol, and all sorts of stuff. I was pretty nervous to shave with a straight because I never used one and neither did my dad, so I learned from youtube. After I got the hang of it my shave started to become meditative. I would put a dip in, turn on some Texas Country and enjoy my shave.

Two years later and I am having even more fun than when I began. I have acquired a couple new brushes, more soaps, more aftershave splashes and balms, another razor, bowls, and other gadgets. I look forward to my morning shaves and I look forward to trying out new products.

Homefront:

A little about me, I am 26 and I am from El Paso, TX. I got my bachelors in biology and I am about to go back to school to get my education certification. I come from a long line of teachers and football coaches so that is what I want to do.

I met my wife 5 years ago in San Antonio and we got married last July. We bought a little house and have been fixing it up little by little. About a month after we got married we got news that our first baby was on the way. We found out early and we are having a boy! I was pretty excited when we found out. Someone to pass this new hobby of mine down to. He will be the first boy on my wife's side of the family since her father and he will be the fourth grandson for my parents. So this year has been filled with doctors appointments, sonograms, and shaves.

Thank y'all for reading and for welcoming me to this community! I will document my first shave entry tonight when I can put a picture of what I used today.

Welcome to the journals, brother! That's one heck of an introduction. Congratulations on your coming son! I've always thought we needed more Texans around here. 🤪 I'm looking forward to your journal entries.

Great to see you in this section and congrats on the new son! A whole new world is ahead!

Get ready for big changes (mostly good) in your life. Enjoy the last bit of child-free time with your wife.

Great intro post! Welcome to the journals! What is your favorite set up?

Thank you guys and I will be sure to enjoy the last bit of "free time" with the Mrs.!

Journal Entry 1:

Pre-shave: I always enjoy my shave more after a hot shower. I know some people prefer to shave at night or in the shower, but to me I get the best post shave results showering first. I always exfoliate my face with Jack Black's Face Buff. It is a little on the pricey side for me, but I have noticed better shaves when I use it. I just have to make sure I don't leave any residue on my skin or it will mess with the lather a bit.

Razor: Fromm No. 72 6/8. This is my vintage razor and I absolutely love it. Bought it at Griffiths Shaving Goods. This razor has made me a repeat customer. To make sure it is in shave shape, I do 15 laps on the texture part or my strop (it's not linen or cotton. Almost feels like rough leather) followed by 40 laps on the smooth leather side.

Soap: Murphy and McNeil Trinity. This is the second time I have used this soap. I bought it a couple weeks ago because of the Irish in me, and I gotta say I am really glad I did. It is a lighter scent than I am used to, but definitely a keeper.

Brush: This is the first brush I have ever bought. It is badger and I got it for around $20.00 on Amazon. I don't have any other badger brush to compare it to, but it holds water really great and does a decent job holding heat. I love the lather I get from it.

Bowl: PAA Scuttle. This bowl is pretty great! It was $30.00, but it has irregularities on the inside that help get a great lather quickly, and it keeps my lather nice and warm. I know Texas experiences all four seasons in a day, but the mornings have been freezing lately.

Post-shave: Osma alum, Lucky Tiger Splash, CeraVe moisturizing cream (not pictured). I know alum and eczema seems like a bad mix, but for me it is great. It doesn't allow any allergens to get into my pores and as long as I follow with a moisturizer I will be fine. Lucky Tiger is the first non-alcoholic splash I bought. I really enjoy using it with the lighter scented soaps I bought.

Cologne: Nautica Blue Voyage

Results: I always make enough lather for 4 passes. I lather as a pre-shave, pass 1, pass 2, and post shave. My first pass is WTG and my second pass is XTG. If I try ATG I won't be able to shave for a week with the bad razor burn. Today's shave was no different than any other day. Got out of the shower, put a dip in, turned on Texas Country, and then went on with my routine. Luckily today I did not knick myself and I came away with a BBS shave. My wife really like the smell of the Trinity Soap as do I. I feel like it lathers very easy and with great quality. It is very dense to me, but not heavy and provides great slickness for my razor. Prior to this I had only used very strong scents like Sandalwood, Bay Rum, Barbershop type scents, but this soap may make me re-think exploring lighter scents.

Homefront:

My current project in the house right now is the laundry room. Luckily I have Wednesday off so fingers crossed that it will finally be done! Next up after that is the guest room, baby's room, and kitchen. Honestly the kitchen is not a big priority of mine right now as it is still functional, but the key word in that was MINE. The wife really wants it done, however I was successful in convincing her to wait until after the baby is here.

Thanks for reading and welcoming me to this part of the forum!

20200127_203543.jpg

Great intro post! Welcome to the journals! What is your favorite set up?

Two months ago it would have been my Dovo 5/8, badger brush, TOBS Sandalwood soap, lucky tiger splash, and CeraVe cream. However, lately I have acquired a few new soaps and aftershaves and it is almost like I have experienced a completely different world. Stirling Baker Street is really making me re-think my favorite soap, and I really like their tea tree, aloe, and witch hazel splash. Not to mention their scented balms. I have also really enjoyed the alum block I bought and the scuttle I just recently bought.

I think I have just discovered the entrance to the rabbit hole. M&M Trinity, Stirling Barbershop, Stirling Executive Man, RR XXX, and Proraso Green were recently acquired too and they are all really great preformers!

A little bit late to it, but glad you started a journal! HUGE congratulations on the impending progeny! Hope the missus is doing well with it!

A little bit late to it, but glad you started a journal! HUGE congratulations on the impending progeny! Hope the missus is doing well with it!

Thank you and she is doing really good. Other than starting to get uncomfortable (honestly I would too if a minuture me was growing inside of me) she hasn't really had any bad symptoms. Thankful for a smooth 6 1/2 months and praying for a smooth 2 1/2 more!

Back