The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Don's Healthy Community

My plan was to try lmnt and some others once my liquid iv stash is gone. I stocked up when Costco had a sale.

My plan was to try lmnt and some others once my liquid iv stash is gone. I stocked up when Costco had a sale.
If you pm me an address I’ll get some out to you on Monday so that if you don’t like them you don’t waste your money.

I have mentioned it before, but I also participate on a Health and Wellness forum elsewhere. They do these things called "Resets" about three times a year. Once at the beginning of the year. Another time late spring/early summer. And a third time in late summer/early fall. We are coming up on the last reset of the year. These resets are about thirty days and we have a lot of accountability...all of it very positive. A lot of health coaches and health professionals on it as well so there is a lot of input when you have a question about something. It is an amazing resource.

Anyway...it's coming up again. I have a lot going on this reset. The first one I did was very positive...lost some weight and improved other aspects of my health. The second one didn't go as planned and time management (or lack thereof) really got in my way. But I learned a great deal still.

This reset I am focusing on Sleep. Yup sleep. I will still be doing a lot in the way of diet and exercise...but it is all centered around improving my sleep. Well...improving my sleep apnea is my primary concern. So I can get good restful sleep so that my body can do things like lose weight, exercise better, improve bodily processes.

I have a Pulse Oximeter that records your data throughout the night. You can then upload results to your phone and it gives you what your oxygen saturation was at the exact second. It will graph it out for you as well. It will also generate a report that gives you how many ODI 4% and ODI 3% events you have and the average length of the ODI events. An ODI (Oxygen Desaturation Index) 4% or 3% Event is basically when your oxygen saturation falls 4% or 3% respectively. This often tells you when you stop breathing or are gasping. The pulse oximeter will also tell you the average oxygen level over a period of time as well as your highs and lows. It's kind of like having a mini sleep study. This will be my biggest tool during the reset.

So how will I try to improve my Sleep Apnea? First and foremost...my goal is to drop another 10-15 pounds. More if I can do it...but I want to have realistic expectations. A few weeks ago I had COVID and really craved carbs (ice cream specifically) and I packed on a few pounds. So...diet and exercise.

I will put myself in a caloric restriction by eating a mostly protein heavy meat based diet and very low carbohydrates. This isn't a ketogenic diet, because I think my protein will be too high. But this will definitely be a fat burning diet. I am going to shoot for somewhere in the neighborhood of 1900 calories a day...give or take.

Next part of my plan is exercise. Three days of strength training. Two-three days of Zone 2 training in the form of Rucks. One day of High Intensity Cardio training.

Something new I am going to try is Myofunctional Therapy. Basically it is physical therapy for your mouth. Yes this is a real thing and actual physical therapists teach this. It is usually covered by insurance as well. We have a physical therapist in the area that does this for clients that have sleep apnea. I plan on getting a formal plan with her at the beginning of the year. I can't do it right now for reasons I don't want to get into. Anyway, there is a lot of research that indicates by strengthening the tongue and other muscles in the neck and throat, it reduces sleep apnea, because Obstructive Sleep Apnea is when muscles and other structures collapse when you sleep. I have some basic exercises that I will try to implement twice a day for about ten minutes.

Buteko Breathing - I know it sounds weird, but it is a real thing with real studies behind it. Specifically in the areas of sleep apnea, metabolic health, and mental health. I could go into it...but I will just link it here for you to read about if you are interested. It's one of those things that seems counter-intuitive...but has great results. There are a lot of dentists you teach it to clients for the purpose of helping relieve sleep apnea symptoms. I plan on doing a breathing session at least once a day...and twice if I can.

These are my main modalities. It seems like a lot...and it is. But it is a 30 day commitment. I can do anything for 30 days. Other things I will do to measure if things are improving are measuring my blood sugar by using a glucometer. I will also measure my blood pressure a few times a day. Do measurements on my body before and after (neck, biceps, belly, waist, and thigh). And of course the old scale. I won't measure myself every day though. I will do a before...one week in...and then an after.

This week I will start to clean up the diet a bit. I'll go paleo low carb to kind of get ready for the following week. This week I am also doing some carb testing. Basically, I take a fasting glucose measurement first thing in the morning. Then I take a carb (rice, sweet potato, apple, berries, etc.) and eat it. An hour later I measure my glucose. Then two hours later I measure my glucose for a third time. Ideally I would have a normal fasting glucose, then an hour later it would go up, and by the two hour mark my glucose should go back to normal or close to it. So if my fasting glucose is 85 and I eat a bowl of rice...my glucose should go up to something like 140-160 or maybe even higher. Then two hours later, my glucose should come back down to something around 90. If my glucose goes way up (200-300) range...I probably shouldn't eat that food. And if by two hours it doesn't go down much, then I really shouldn't eat that food. If my glucose is chronically high...I need to go see my doctor and figure out what is going on. It's a good way to see if I am prediabetic or diabetic. I'll do this for about five or six days next week. I'll try to share my results here.

There was a lady that did the carb test last reset and her glucose levels were really high...like 350 - 400 high. She had no idea. Went to the doctor and she was Type II diabetic. She is much better now and addressed things. But if she hadn't done the carb test...she could have been in some serious shape...or worse.

Okay...if you have read this post and are still here...holy crap! and Why? I kid...actually I appreciate you reading. Okay...enough for now. Hope you all have a great week!

Day One - Carb Testing

Subject: Banana - Two medium sized bananas @193 grams or 6.8 ounces

Fasting Glucose - 92
One Hour - 87
Two Hour - 96

I was a bit surprised that I didn't have a significant rise in my blood sugar from the time I ate the bananas and the one hour test. I conferred with a guy I have been consulting with who is a health coach. He said that he thinks the readings are accurate. Some people do really well with bananas and others don't we also concluded that I typically have higher morning fasting insulin (look up dawn phenomenon) and that even with the banana my glucose settled into "normal." At any rate...postprandial glucose reading two hours later is well within the normal margin. What does all of this say? Basically, Bananas are okay for me to eat every now and then. It seems that I tolerate them well. Obviously I am not going to reach for a banana when I am doing a ketogenic diet, very low carb, or carnivore. These are tools I use from time to time. But at 38 grams of carbs for the two medium sized bananas I ate this morning...it is well outside my daily carb threshold during those phases.

Either way...this was a really interesting test. I know some people that bananas are a definite no go for them. Their glucose spikes for a very long time and it makes them feel like poo. This isn't the case for me. But obviously not all carbs are the same. Not sure what I will do tomorrow, but for the week I am thinking about testing apples, blueberries, strawberries, sweet potatoes, white rice, and maybe white potatoes.

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!

I'm trying to get a baseline this week of what my O2 saturation looks like. So last night I strapped on my pulse oximeter and went to sleep. Okay...I didn't get the best sleep last night. Kept waking up. Probably because of the O2 sensor. I woke up a lot and finally the dog had to go outside for what I thought was to go to the bathroom...but no...it was to chase a critter. So...I just got up. Took my blood pressure and started my carb testing (which I will post later). So anyway...the results are not great. And I figured they wouldn't be. I will wear the pulse oximeter again on Wed. and then again in Friday. I will average all three days out and get an average. Then over the next four weeks, I will test Monday, Wed., and Friday again track to see if I can improve over the month with what I have planned again.

Last nights results:

1663065274337.png

A lot of ODI 4% and ODI 3% events. But concerning is my average SpO2 was 92%. Not that I expect Fitbt to be all that accurate...but my Fitbt also confirmed that my average SpO2 was 92%. Considering that it is supposed to be around the 96-98%...yeah this is bad.

Day Two - Carb Testing

Subject: Blueberries - 420 grams or 14.8 ounces

Fasting Glucose - 100
One Hour - 129
Two Hour - 101

Like I said in the previous post...I didn't sleep well. So when my FBG was 100, I wasn't surprised. And today's results went about as I expected...maybe a little better. With only a 29 point elevation in Blood Glucose and the a complete reset two hours after consuming. I would say that blueberries are completely tolerable. If this was a 50 or 60 point jump...then I would say this is a no go. But to be honest...I think you can get a 30 point jump from eating a steak. Oh, and note on the blueberries...this was a lot of blueberries. I don't usually just eat a bowl of blueberries like I did. I usually have int in my yogurt or cottage cheese. So considering that...I definitely think blueberries are on the safe to eat list.

Day Three - Carb Testing

Subject: Steel Cut Oatmeal - 293 grams or 10.3 ounces

Fasting Glucose - 92
One Hour - 130
Two Hour - 102

So this test was within the 40 points or so and it didn't get too high. Oatmeal might be okay for me, but it certainly isn't ideal. Of course adding some butter to it or cream or some bone broth might keep the glucose readings from going to high. But on its own, oatmeal is likely to be a no go for me...especially if you add anything like honey, syrup, or fruit to it that might jump the blood sugar up.

Day Four - Carb Testing

Subject: Strawberries - 354 grams or 12.5 ounces

Fasting Glucose - 97
One Hour - 103
Two Hour - 102

Don't really have a lot to say about this. Like mentioned before...berries are usually good to go. But I wanted to check it out still. I didn't get much of a rise. And it didn't have far to go back. Looks pretty good to me.

Day Five - Carb Testing

Subject: Cream of Buckwheat - 19 Ounces

Fasting Glucose - 100
One Hour - 148
Two Hour - 111

I figured this would happen...but it seems that buckwheat is No Bueno!

Totally forgot to post my test from yesterday...

Day Six - Carb Testing

Subject: Corn - 246 grams or 8.7 ounces

Fasting Glucose - 97
One Hour - 116
Two Hour - 100

Despite corn giving me very little response...about 20 minutes after I ate it I had these sever hunger cravings. Like...I really wanted to eat and eat now. It was strange. I have felt like that before, but it is usually when I am hypo or hyper-glycemic.

Day Seven - Carb Testing

Subject: Corn - 246 grams or 8.7 ounces

Fasting Glucose - 97
One Hour - 127
Two Hour - 145

WOW!!! I was not expecting that. When I saw my one hour numbers at 127 I was like, "okay, maybe white rice isn't so bad?" I just did my two hour test and the numbers are continuing to rise. Maybe that is my peak...I don't know. And unless I have a continuous glucose monitor I likely won't know. But the simple fact that my glucose is still going up after two hours is a big red flag. I have done an oral glucose test before (it's been a while) and even then my numbers would go down after two hours. This tells me that rice is definitely off the table for me. That sucks...because I really like rice.

Tomorrow I start my 30 Day Reset. I am throwing a lot at this challenge and I am hoping to fix or get myself on the right track again. Several weeks ago I had COVID...it wasn't serious or anything, but when I am sick, I tend to eat ice cream. That kicked into motion a habit of not eating so well and I packed on a few pounds (more than a few actually). But oddly enough, while diet and exercise are important to me and I want to lose a little weight or have some body recompositing, the focus of this reset for me is sleep. I have a hypothesis that I likely don't get enough good quality regenerative sleep because of sleep apnea (SA). From a sleep study and from my own testing, my Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is considered mild to medium. But it is enough to keep me out of the sleep cycles that benefit me the most. To improve my SA, I am doing things like diet and exercise, but I am also throwing things at it like myofunctial exercises, breathing exercises, sleep hygiene, etc. It is going to be a busy 30 days, and it is definitely multifaceted. But I need to do this.

So...on the topic of diet. I plan to eat a very animal centric diet. I might add in some low carb veggies too, but it is mostly going to be meat and eggs with maybe a smidge of cheese. I won't say that this will be a carnivore diet, but it will be carnivore-ish. These are my goal macros:

Protein - 220g - 880 calories - 44%
Net Carbs - 20g - 80 calories - 4%
Fat - 120g - 1080 calories - 54%

Total of a 2000 calories.

A 2000 calorie a day diet puts me at abut a 25% caloric reduction. That should be plenty to shed some pounds. This isn't exactly a ketogenic diet, but it isn't far off as well. The higher protein will likely keep me out of ketosis most days...but I wouldn't be surprised if I am in ketosis either. My diet will consist of whole foods, but if at the end of the day I haven't hit my protein goal, I am not opposed to downing a protein drink to get me to my protein goal. But I would rather not if I don't have to. But...hitting that 220 grams of protein is going to be key. My fat goal isn't as important to me. And with eating meat, I am likely to hit the 120 grams easy. But I don't want to go over on fat. That is where a lot of the calories will bump up. So if at the end of the day I am sitting at 100-110 grams of fat. I am good with that.

Exercise...

I plan on doing three strength sessions a week

Three Zone 2 cardio sessions @ 45 minutes to an hour a session

One High Cardio session a week (something like sprints)

Three Core Exercise sessions a week (I have a plan from my physical therapist).

I'll talk more about other things I am doing throughout my Reset.

I hope the Cadre has a wonderful day!

Okay...it's been a while since I have posted here and I am glad I am getting the journal started back up again. It's a New Year and as such...new goals. Yup I am doing the Weight Loss Challenge that you can find here: The 2023 TSC Weight Loss Challenge!!

But if you are reading this already, I am sure you know where it is.

So what is my plan of attack to lose weight, and maintain/build muscle?

Well diet is the primary modality in which to accomplish some of my health goals. And with diet my primary goal is protein. 150-180 grams of it per day as a matter of fact. This will help me stimulate muscle protein synthesis so I can build muscle. After protein, my next area of concern is caloric intake. My goal is to keep calories around 2,000 calories for the day. So, at 150 grams of protein, that is about 600 calories already. The rest of the diet can be filled in with fat or carbohydrates as I prefer. I know that I do better with more fat than I do carbs, so I want to keep my carb intake lower and my fat intake higher. But this isn't a hard rule for me. So far this week, I have kept my carbohydrate intake around 25 grams of net carbs per day. But my ultimate goal is to keep them below 50 grams. So if I had to give you and approximate macronutrient ratio, I would say that I am aiming for: 30-35% protein; 5-10% carbohydrates; and the rest fat, so that means about 60-65% fat.

Then there is exercise. The goal is 4-5 days a week of zone 2 cardio type activity. And 4-5 days a week resistance training.

Four to five days a week I plan on rucking and increasing weight each week that I carry on my back or in my hands. When I ruck for exercise, I like carrying dumbbells or kettlebells or some kind of weight in my hand. It helps with nerve compression in my shoulders and armpits, plus it gives a bit more of resistance.

And then 4-5 days a week I plan on doing some resistance training. The plan is as follows:

Monday and Thursday: Deadlifts, Bench Press, Lat Pull Downs, and Core
Tuesday and Friday: Squats, Overhead Press, Bent Over Rows, and Lunges
Wed: Kettlebell HIIT Routine and Core.

For my core exercises I am doing: Curl Ups, Side Planks, Bird Dogs, and Pullof Press.

I haven't decided completely what all I am doing for the kettlebells...but I know it will likely involve a Suitcase carry and/or Farmer's carry.

I know this all sounds like a lot...but it is very doable with my schedule. Rucks in the morning at home and resistance training in the afternoon at the gym.

Anyway, I am excited to hot it hard tomorrow!

Yesterday was a good day. Got up and did a 30 minute ruck. Nothing to laborious. Then at lunch went to the gym and started my program. Doing two sets this week and next week and then will progress a set every two week until I hit five sets. After two weeks of five sets I plan on doing a de-load week. And then after starting back at two sets and repeating the whole thing over again. At least that is what I plan on doing. We will see what happens.

Yesterdays resistance training included:

Deadlift: 10 reps @ 95 pounds
Bench Press: 15 @ 95
Lat Pull Down: 15 @ 70

Core Exercises:

Pallof Press: 2 sets each side 10 reps @ 35 pounds

Suitcase Carry with 40 pound dumbbell - Twice each side for 20 seconds (walking)

Then a cycle of each of these exercises - 10 each continue to the next exercise. Two cycles

Modified Curl Ups
Side Plank (each side)
Bird Dogs (each side)

All of this might look a little complicated, but it isn't. I will admit though that from warm-up to end of workout it took me longer than I wanted. About an hour. So I need to shorten this a bit. I think I took too much time and I need to be more purposeful so I don't waste time.

Hope you all have a great day and figure out someway that you can be healthy today!

Oh man...where to begin?

I'll try to be a little more consistent in this thread as I have seen some remarkable things as of late with strength and body composition.

For starters. Since February I have been doing a strength program. Lifting some heavy weight and seeing good results in the way of strength.

The program? Its a Novice Linear Progression program from Mark Rippetoe and Starting Strength.

If you want a good overview of the program, you can find one here:

In subsequent posts I'll get into the nitty gritty of what I have been doing but just to give you an idea of my success, here is what I started out with...and then what I did last week.

Feb 2023

Squat - 135
Overhead Press - 85
Bench Press - 115
Deadlift - 135

Now...I these were not my maxes...It was just a jumping off point because I literally had no idea where to begin. Everything except my Overhead Press were relatively easy. Squats and Deadlifts went up by 10 pounds each lift day for a couple of weeks. Dead lift and overhead press went up by 5 pounds. So...where am I at today?

Squat - 345
Overhead Press - 110 (I am in a de-load process on my press, but just prior I was lifting 130)
Bench Press - 190
Deadlift - 300

Mind you...I am 50 years old. Also...these numbers are my working sets. Working sets a 3 sets of 5 reps. In addition, all lifts have five warmup sets (2 with just the bar; 1 set 40% of working set; 1 set 60%: 1 set 80%), except for deadlifts. Deadlifts have 3 warmup sets (40%, 60%, and 80%) I lift three days a week (and am very consistent with this).

Anyway...I have been focusing on strength for a good while now.

I have more to say later but just wanted to put this down first!

Curious to hear what you guys have to say!

Because of the long weekend, I didn't lift yesterday. And believe me...I needed the extra day of recovery. I have a stiff left hip that was kind of screaming all weekend. It's better right now. But I need to do a better job at stretching it out.

But today is another day. My lifts today are the Squat (Back Squat), Bench Press, and Cleans. I just added my Power Cleans to the rotation and I am still learning them. I should get a hand of it soon, but I have never done Power Cleans before so I am basically doing the bar right now. But...my Squats and Bench are sufficiently heavy.

Today's Squat I am attempting workout sets of 350. And Bench Press at 195. And I as I mentioned...Doing the Power Clean at just 45 pounds right now until I have the movement a little under control.

So what does it all look like? As I mentioned before, I have warmup sets as well where I do sets with just the bar and then sets that are 40%, 60%, and 80% of the working load...so today it goes like this:

Squat: Warm Up - Bar - 2 sets x 5 reps
Warm Up - 140 - 1x5 (40%)
Warm Up - 210 - 1x3 (60%)
Warm Up - 280 - 1x2 (80%)
Working - 350 - 3x5 (100%)

Bench: Warm Up - Bar - 2 sets x 5 reps
Warm Up - 80 - 1x5 (40%)
Warm Up - 115 - 1x3 (60%)
Warm Up - 155 - 1x2 (80%)
Working - 195 - 3x5 (100%)

Cleans: Bar - 3x5

As you see...as the warmups get heavier, the number of reps of the warmups get lower. But once the working sets kick in...it is no joke.

At this point (with the exception of my Overhead Press, which I will explain on either Thursday or Friday) all of my lifts are Personal Records (PRs) since I have never lifted this much ever in my entire life. So every workout that I complete is this really awesome sense of accomplishment.

I'll probably have thoughts later...but for now, this is what I have. I am really enjoying this program and I have to say that in the 3 - 4 months that I have been doing it...I have seen changes in my body, my mood, and my strength. I can honestly say this I am stronger than many, if not most, boys in their 20s. And yes...I called them boys for a reason.

Hope all is well in the Cadre. Give your significant other a hug and kiss today as well as your kids if you have them.

I've been trying to get back into lifting, but have been sick for the past month, and it's killing my energy. I need to restart my 5X5 program.

By the way, we could use your wisdom and motivation in the Weight loss threads. Patricipation has been waning.

Back