The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Don's Healthy Community

Anyone have a take on BCAAs? Yay, nay, meh?
Just listened to this podcast...it might be helpful.

What I know about BCAAs is that it can help with recovery after strenuous workouts...BUT...you have to get good quality BCAAs.

So I have been kind of doing deep dives into protein and from what I understand...you can use BCAAs to help stimulate Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS) with the BCAAs but you still need the protein in food form. Okay...I am probably not going to explain this right so make sure you look it up for yourself to get it right. But the gist is: (and you likely already know this so sorry in advance)

There are 9 Essential Amino Acids (EAA). These amino acids are essential because your body can't make them and you need to get them from foods. In order to trigger MPS, you need certain amino acids at certain thresholds. The most important amino acids are the BCAAs - Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine. Of the BRAAs, Leucine holds the trigger. As a good rule of thumb...when you eat protein, in order to trigger MPS, you need about 2.5 grams Leucine to get it going. Of course this is actually variable upon person for a lot of reasons. But from what I understand, 2.5 grams should get most people there.

A quick look back to the EAAs. You have to have all 9 EAAs present in order to build, repair, or maintain muscle, skeletal, organ, or any other type of tissue. A lot of people take collagen. And I don't doubt that there are some serious health benefits (intestinal permeability is one of them), hell I used to take the stuff, but it's an incomplete protein. You can't build or repair tissue. It's incomplete because it lacks the EAA Tryptophan. The same with plant proteins. Any one plant protein (except for soy...I think) is an incomplete protein. That's why beans and rice is so popular as a dish. By itself, beans or rice are incomplete proteins. Together, beans and rice make up all the EAAs. Now, bioavailability is a different story...but that its a different discussion.

Okay, so in order to initiate MPS you need the Leucine. That is the first thing the body looks for. Then it looks for the other EAA. Then it starts it's maintenance, build or repair. So if you are a person that doesn't get that much protein in their diet (and please do not go on the USDA recommendation...those are recommendations from WWII and designed to keep people from developing disease...and not for optimal performance) you can add BCAAs to the diet as a supplement to initiate the process.

Probably a longer answer than you wanted, but there it is. I hope I got it right...because the process is obviously more detailed than what I have explained. In short, BCAAs can help with muscle repair, soreness after a hard workout, help with MPS, and other things. But like most things...it's probably better to get the bulk of your protein from food.

Hope this helps.

Man this whole life management/time management thing went all to hell lately. Finding time for friends needs to be paramount in my life. My family comes first obviously, but the need for some community is up on the priority list and I have failed at it lately. Here is to more of that by hopefully getting back into the swing of things here on TSC. So what has been going on? Mostly work and Danger Baby. Been getting workouts in, but the time thing kind of sucks. While I have been getting workouts in...I am wildly inconsistent. Some weeks I will get to the gym twice a week, others it will be two days a week. Ill get cardio in once or twice a week, only for the next week to get a ton in. So I am trying to simplify things and that is hard in these times we live in.

So what is new? In July I am starting a rucking challenge with another group. Nothing seriously ambitious...just 30 miles for the month of July. What is rucking you ask? Simply put, rucking is backpacking: carrying weight while walking. Some people do it for recreation. Others do it for exercise. And even others do it out of necessity. You can do it with a backpack or with a weighted vest. I have even seen someone ruck with a child in a carrier for a weight. I am stealing this next bit from a health and wellness forum I visit:

"Humans aren't the fastest or strongest animals, but we have high levels of endurance and the ability to carry with our hands while walking. We’re smart and make tools, so we invented ways of carrying load to free our hands. Rucking is simply a modern adaptation of this functional activity: carrying load over time and distance using a backpack."

The Benefits of Rucking?

"The benefits of rucking are numerous. Rucking is fun and adventurous and very adaptable to almost any situation. Rucking is fun to do with others, just like any walk. You can stop to smell the roses, watch the birds, or fire up the Jetboil for tea. It's also fun to go alone early in the day or even in the middle of the night.

You can ruck anywhere you can walk. You can ruck on snowshoes or barefoot on the beach. You can ruck while walking your dog.

While being very adaptable, it is also great exercise. Depending on the amount of weight, the impact on joints is much lower than running, the activation of core much better than simple walking, and the stimulation to muscle and bone higher than walking.

Rucking burns more calories than simple walking and is easier for most people to sustain more quickly for longer time and distance than running.

Rucking is somewhat self-correcting for our typically internally rotated thoracic fold posture, because of the position of the backpack.

One can ruck with purpose—taking your camping gear along the Camino Santiago or the Appalachian Trail for instance, or bringing a sack full of booze from the only liquor store on Grand Cayman [personal story from the author].

Being able to carry load over time and distance may even save your life or the lives of others."

Basically, I have been gearing up a little for this challenge and doing two or so "rucks" a week for the last two weeks. I stuck a bag of topsoil and some old ballistic plates in my ruck that I used in Afghanistan that seems like a million years ago. The pack weighs 25 pounds. THEN...while I walk with my backpack...I am also carrying two 10 pound dumbbells...one in each hand. Once the challenge starts, I plan on increasing the pack weight and the dumbbell weight as the challenge progresses. You don't have to carry that much weight, or carry the dumbbells...it's just what I want to do. Most people start out with just 10 pounds in the pack.'

Posting a pic of my "rustic" gear bellow.

Anyway...I'll try to be more available again lately guys and gals on the forum.

061622 Trial Run.jpeg

.I am wildly inconsistent. Some weeks I will get to the gym twice a week, others it will be two days a week.

at least you are getting out there to the gym twice a week or two days a week! :unsure: either one sounds good 🤣 having a kid is tiring!

good luck on that rucking! i see lots of folks in weighted vests and backpacks along my runs. are the dumbbells like a farmers carry? no poles?

at least you are getting out there to the gym twice a week or two days a week! :unsure: either one sounds good 🤣 having a kid is tiring!

good luck on that rucking! i see lots of folks in weighted vests and backpacks along my runs. are the dumbbells like a farmers carry? no poles?
Yeah...the weights are like a farmer's carry. Those will increase soon. I built a farmer's carry set up out of 4x4 lumber and some cinder blocks, but I can't carry those (they weigh 75 pounds apiece) the 2-5 miles that I will be on my rucks. I'll probably increase those to about 15 pounds per hand next week and add another 5 or 10 pounds to my pack. By the end of July, I would like to have 50 pounds in my pack and 20-25 pounds in each hand.

Unlike you Jon, I hate running. Hated when I was running 3-5 miles (and sometimes a lot more) everyday in the Marine Corps and I certainly hate it now. But I like putting heavy weight on my back and walking. I actually feel good when I do this type of stuff. It just feels natural to me. And in the end...it helps build resiliency. In this day and age...and in Louisiana where natural disaster seems to loom behind every month, who knows when I will have to make a trek on foot, carrying heavy things or my daughter to get out of a situation. Almost had to do it in 2016.

And besides...working out like the "Liver King" is kind of barbaric...but in a good way!

1655998391868.png

Yeah, i think about being able to do certain things in need and makes me realize how much weaker I’ve gotten in 20 years. Running ain’t helping that!

Recently i’ve been packing just about 5 lbs of water and stuff in my vest, kind of secured and in humid conditions. feels kind of heavy, clearly not a ruck pack though. Not fun to run with overall but makes the overall run more fun, if that makes sense.

There is a sport i just heard about a couple of months ago called hyrox. Check it out if you havent seen it already. Looks like it might be right up your alley.

Kudos for making any time for your health, physical and mental.

Yeah, i think about being able to do certain things in need and makes me realize how much weaker I’ve gotten in 20 years. Running ain’t helping that!

Recently i’ve been packing just about 5 lbs of water and stuff in my vest, kind of secured and in humid conditions. feels kind of heavy, clearly not a ruck pack though. Not fun to run with overall but makes the overall run more fun, if that makes sense.

There is a sport i just heard about a couple of months ago called hyrox. Check it out if you havent seen it already. Looks like it might be right up your alley.

Kudos for making any time for your health, physical and mental.
Just checked out the Hyrox. Definitely looks interesting. Kind of like a more focused Crossfit? Doesn't look like they will have anything in my area for quite a while. But I will keep a lookout.

You know, to supplement your running and use muscles in a different way. You could always do a weekend hike with 10 pounds of water bottles in a pack. I think that's about eight or nine bottles. Drink as you go and get lighter. Being in DC area Virginia, I KNOW there are places to do a little recreational hiking. I talk to a girl on another forum that does a lot of trail running (for competition) and a lot of half marathons and few marathons. She started rucking with a 10 pound vest once a week and said that it actually helped her with her running. I didn't get into specifics. Not trying to convert, but man...it is a nice way do get some exercise in that doesn't kill my joints.

My big thing right now is trying to get a good enough workout in for strength training. I go to a budget gym that doesn't have barbells. So I am doing everything on dumbbells pretty much. The budget has gotten a bit tighter in the Danger household as it has most places, so trying to upgrade gym memberships is a touchy subject with the wife. I just found out yesterday that through my insurance I get a discount with Gympass. So for a reasonable price (but more than I am paying now) I can get access to a bunch of gyms that have the equipment I want.

Hope your day goes well Jon!

Whatever I am doing, my doc likes it. Results back from blood work and everything is normal, even my cholesterol which was almost to "take meds" level is now back into the "good" range. I asked her if she would tell my wife that I'm normal.... Because that'll be the first time she ever heard anyone say it about me. 🤪

Whatever I am doing, my doc likes it. Results back from blood work and everything is normal, even my cholesterol which was almost to "take meds" level is now back into the "good" range. I asked her if she would tell my wife that I'm normal.... Because that'll be the first time she ever heard anyone say it about me. 🤪
That is awesome news! cholesterol is a funny thing. You can change something and see improvements (or go the other way) in a matter of days. Figure out what you did and keep doing it!

It's been a while...but while I was gone I did a little experiment. I know this will seem radical to some...but I actually learned a lot from the experience.

I stopped drinking coffee for the month of July.

Yup you heard me right. I stopped drinking coffee in July. I was calling it "No Joe July." The reason? I couldn't remember a time I didn't have coffee and I wondered how I would feel if I was off of it.

First three days were rough. Serious headaches and I was really dragging. After that I was good. So I did the month. At the end of July I had my annual wellness visit. And things were really good. But here is the take away from the no coffee in July.

I had been taking my blood pressure a few times a day and watched my BP consistently go down. On my wellness visit, my BP was 110/68. I was stupid happy because I can't remember a time my BP was this low. So my "No Joe July" was at an end and I wanted to see what would happen when I introduced coffee back in. It was an eye opener. Once I had coffee again. Both my systolic and diastolic blood pressure shot up by a minimum 15 points. I was in the 130/85 range. I tested this a couple of times and the same thing happened.

So...the lesson here is that I can enjoy some coffee, but it needs to be an occasional thing for me...and not a pot of coffee a day thing.

Wow, what a difference, but congrats to you that reading is ridiculous! I am happy if I see 120/80. I cut light cream out of my coffee habit in june, but not coffee.

Did you drink tea or hot water with lemon instead, or something like that? Shot of maple cayenne ACV?

Wow, what a difference, but congrats to you that reading is ridiculous! I am happy if I see 120/80. I cut light cream out of my coffee habit in june, but not coffee.

Did you drink tea or hot water with lemon instead, or something like that? Shot of maple cayenne ACV?
I had some tea and some bone broth. I didn’t miss the coffee but I missed the ritual of having something hot in my hands in the morning. Most of what I had in the morning was hot water with a chocolate LMNT salt packet. Oh yeah. And during this time my salt intake increased. Imagine that. A lot of what we have been told about salt just isn’t true generally speaking.

I found bone broth after a cold outdoor workout to be incredible. chocolate lmnt? I know they do unflavored, but not chocolate. interesting!

I think i’ve been burning through the liquid IV this summer in the hot humidity with my kids. First time in a while where i told them they needed it. I carry around extra packets to make sure they always have some before workouts.

I enjoyed the hot water with cold pressed lemon. Just felt different than a squeeze.

I found bone broth after a cold outdoor workout to be incredible. chocolate lmnt? I know they do unflavored, but not chocolate. interesting!

I think i’ve been burning through the liquid IV this summer in the hot humidity with my kids. First time in a while where i told them they needed it. I carry around extra packets to make sure they always have some before workouts.

I enjoyed the hot water with cold pressed lemon. Just felt different than a squeeze.
Yeah...they have several flavors. The flavors they have all the time are: Citrus, Watermelon, Orange, Raspberry, Mango Chili, Lemon Habanero, Chocolate, and Raw. They have a seasonal flavor usually twice a year. The Summertime they have Grapefruit (right now) and in the winter they have Mint Chocolate. They are pretty small packets, but you can use them up to 30 ounces of water. My brother uses them (he runs a fleet for a local Budweiser distributer) and is constantly either in the warehouse or the garage sweating his but off. He uses a packet for a liter of water (about 35 ounces). My wife uses the Liquid IV from time to time. These definitely don't go as far. The LMNT doesn't have sugar in it either. I know the "no sugar" isn't your thing but still...it's a really clean alternative and in my opinion, goes farther than the other brands. All I have left are Grapefruits, and I might have a citrus or chili mango left...not sure, I'll have to look. If you want...I can send you a few. Also, there are a bunch of podcasts out there that offer a free sample pack of LMNT with a code. All you have to do is pay for shipping (something like $5) and you get one packet of each flavor. I think you listen to enough health podcasts they probably advertise LMNT a good bit. Just listen for the free sample pack code. I just tried several of the podcasts code and nothing is working it seems. I'll see if I can find one. But in the meantime, if you want...I can send you a few flavors.

Okay...just reading over this...it looks like I am pushing this hard. Not my intention...sorry. I just like the product a lot. And it has helped make a difference in my health.

Back